You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Code

Been saying it for some time, far too often we've had the look of trying to walk the ball into the net, only trying to score from 12 yards or less or by nice intricate movement in the box.

I remember a city game, not sure who it was against, but in the first few minutes the ball came to Mahrez at an angle in the box. He just smashed it at the goal and it flew in. I said at the time if that had been us, the ball would have either been lofted hopefully into the middle of the box or crossed and pulled back to around the penalty spot. That's what we should have been doing against West Brom, taking a few digs at goal and others instead of the pass, pass, pass, pass.

Retaining possession is great and important but you need to stretch teams who just want to sit deep. You've also got to move the ball quickly and accurately. Taking a few shots is also a good idea.

• Upvote 1

We're a team that is based on creating the most quality chances we can because if we do that, the odds are at some point those chances will be converted. That's why we don't shoot from distance that much and our quintessential goal has been from a fullback cross to one of the 3 forwards in the area for a close range shot, or the gegenpress.

It's about creating the chances with the highest chance of a goal happening. I just don't think we're creating enough of those good chances recently. We had more on target yesterday, but recently all the games have been like 20 shots, 2 on target type games and that means we're just not creating good enough chances. What the fix is for that, I don't know.

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We're a team that is based on creating the most quality chances we can because if we do that, the odds are at some point those chances will be converted. That's why we don't shoot from distance that much and our quintessential goal has been from a fullback cross to one of the 3 forwards in the area or the gegenpress.

It's about creating the chances with the highest chance of a goal happening. I just don't think we're creating enough of those good chances recently. We had more on target yesterday, but recently all the games have been like 20 shots, 2 on target type games and that means we're just not creating good enough chances. What the fix is for that, I don't know.

Just need a goal to go in and win a game anyhow. 

16 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

What's the main cause?

It's obviously not that our front 3 aren't good enough; they are, but none of them have shown it for at least a month. 

Similarly, Trent obviously still has the talent, but he's wasting it on mindlessly lashing balls against the first defender.

Injuries have meant that we haven't been able to play our best midfield (any three from Hendo, Fabinho, Thiago, Gini and Shaq) so we haven't been able to support the attackers properly or offer any alternatives. 

I'm genuinely baffled.  Thank fuck I'm not a manager. 

Can’t only be the injuries because we were looking poor before they became injured. Not sure about the stats here but we don’t seem to doing as much running as before, not as intense as and dep pressing etc. Perhaps they’re too leggy because they have had no time off, but then after the first lockdown they had more time off than they had had in several seasons. Perhaps we are trying to take even better percentage chances than before because we do seem to be more tiki-taka around the box, very slow and ponderous moving of the ball and not as many runners in deep. Whatever it is, it is painful to watch, when you know how good these front 3 can be. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Im getting worried now, amazing goal by Salah today, but very unusual for him to miss a one on one like his second big chance.

Mane, I have no idea whats going on with him, it looks like his confidence might be shit to pieces. 

Firmino is finished and Jota is allowed a bad day. 

We should hav escored at least three goals today, could have been more. 

Been the real problem for months. We've created more than enough chances to win nearly every game this season and a conversion rate similar to previous seasons would have seen  us challenging for the title and getting ready to knock Chelsea out of the CL. The failure to finish has sapped the confidence throughout the team. 

• Upvote 1

If we look at the numbers the four seasons Salah has been at the club, this is how it looks like.

After 33 games we had scored 72, 75 and 75 goals, this season we are down to 55. 

Goal difference after 33 games:

2020/21: 33 15 9 9 55-39 54 points

2019/20: 33 29 2 2 72-25 89 points

2018/19: 33 25 7 1 75-20 82 points

2017/18: 33 19 10 4 75-34 67 points