You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Code

There are some great sour contributions from him in the now bumped "Title suggestions for my new book" thread on the MF of last summer.  When placed against this season they bring a smile.

But obviously only with the caveat that Brendan changed what prompted those sensible observations on the old Brendan, to match what was being suggested he should do.  So it's not anything Brendan deserves credit for.  So long as we're clear.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I think the goalscoring will come. Rodgers needs to be brave and play two up front. Too early to despair.

He hasn't wanted to play 2 up front the entire time he has been here except for when Suarez and Sturridge forced him to, even last year when it was blatantly obvious Balotelli needed someone with him to be remotely effective he persevered or just played sterling up there.

• Upvote 1

4-3-3 works just fine when the two wide players in the front three are goalscorers and the number 9 is a Suarez/Aguero/Tevez/Costa type player.

Sadly we don't actually buy any players to suit the system. So, er, either buy some that do, or pick another system.

• Upvote 1

Have a certain formation in mind, buy any players to play in it.

Wonder why the players aren't doing as well as at their last club.

Rotate formation and rotate players until one works well. Usually in-game.

Go on winning run.

Brief press about manager's brilliance despite having some players forced upon him.

Go on losing run.

Attempt to bring ostracised players back, wonder why not performing. Brief press apportioning blame elsewhere.

Sell best player.

Summer hols.

Rinse/repeat.

I think the goalscoring will come. Rodgers needs to be brave and play two up front. Too early to despair. 

Not sure why this caused offense. 

I'm well aware that Rodgers usually plays one up front, hence my call for him to be brave and play two up front. I don't think there is a personnel problem - the question, as it has been for quite some time, is whether the manager can get the best out of the players at his disposal. 

If we beat Man Utd we will have ten points from the first five games, which would put us solidly on course for a top four finish, especially with the tricky away games in that batch. I'm not happy with how last season went and I'm not happy with the 3-0 loss to West Ham. But this season is in it's infancy and I'm willing to see how it unfolds. 

I suspect the goals will flow and we will have a very good run once Sturridge is back. His return will hopefully be the catalyst that forces Rodgers to play two up top. It's one thing keeping Origi and Ings on the fringes, but I don't think we will do that with Benteke and Sturridge. 

Sakho back in for Lovren. Midfield diamond. Two strikers up top. 

If we do that the goals will come and we will finish top four. 

It all comes back to transfers.  Three forwards bought in the summer, £20m on Origi and Ings, neither good enough to get a game, so pointless signings.  The other, a large target man coming into a squad that coulddn't get the best out of him if they tried and his presense means we dont get the best out of our billion AM's. 

So we've spent another £50m and we're still in the same position of hoping that Sturridge coming back is going to miraculously change everything.  The man can't stay fit for five minutes, only thing he's saving is his weekly pay for doing fuck all.

Stupid and predictably set for failure, the Rodgers way.  Football really is a simple game complicated by fools and into Rodgers fourth season he's built a squad that couldn't be more unbalanced if he tried.

• Upvote 1

I can't even see how we would line up 4-4-2 with the diamond.

Where does Firmino fit in for example?

Who plays at the base? Can?

Henderson and Milner are gonna be first choice for the pair and Coutinho has to play at the tip surely.

Leaves no space for big money signing Firmino for starters - Lallana same.

It all comes back to transfers.  Three forwards bought in the summer, £20m on Origi and Ings, neither good enough to get a game, so pointless signings.  The other, a large target man coming into a squad that coulddn't get the best out of him if they tried and his presense means we dont get the best out of our billion AM's. 

So we've spent another £50m and we're still in the same position of hoping that Sturridge coming back is going to miraculously change everything.  The man can't stay fit for five minutes, only thing he's saving is his weekly pay for doing fuck all.

Stupid and predictably set for failure, the Rodgers way.  Football really is a simple game complicated by fools and into Rodgers fourth season he's built a squad that couldn't be more unbalanced if he tried.

usual shite from a so called supporter... eff off... 

I would play:

---------- Mignolet ---------

Clyne Skrtel Sakho Gomez

------------- Can ------------

--- Henderson -- Milner ----

----------- Coutinho ---------

----- Benteke -- Sturridge --

There are goals in that team, which is the point of this thread, though there are still question marks. I'm not sure about Can, Milner and Henderson but I'd like to see that trio get some games to see what sort of understanding they might generate. There's lots of energy and drive there, and I can't see us getting overrun in the middle. I'm not so bothered about Lallana not being in the side as I see him as more of a back up. If Firmino is the player we hope he will be then he should be able to force his way in, probably at the expense of Can, with the midfield positions then being reworked.