You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Code

I dont buy into the number of goals we need to score, code72, just because we score 6 against Derby means nothing in the grand scheme of things, you dont get any points or advantage unless the league is decided by goal difference (potentially it could be).

we can win a lot of games 1-0. every league campaign is different and you can draw lots of conclusions from them in hindsight

Gerrard in a 442 is a problem for me, he needs to play o nthe right or behind the main striker rather than with Xabi or Masher so we play to his attacking strengths. as for explaining the performance against the Mancs it's a lot easier when the whole team and crowd are up for it against the champions who are intent on playing a bit and leaving space but they can find it hard to lift themselves for the likes of Stoke or WBA

the 4321 is the system we should stick to which means either Keane sits on the bench or Gerrard starts on the right, until then we'll probably continue to stutter and drop points.

notice it worked well away against Marseille (keane on the bench and 2 holding midfielders) it allowed Gerrard to be on the edge of the box and score that beauty rather than in the centre circle.

Well the stats suggest you will need to score more than 70 goals to win the league, only twice during the last 16 seasons have proved otherwise.

Goals scored from the Champions, second place and us since the PL started:

2007/08: 1- 80 goals, 2- 65 goals, Liverpool- 67 goals

2006/07: 1- 83 goals, 2- 64 goals, Liverpool- 57 goals.

2005/06: 1- 72 goals, 2- 72 goals, Liverpool- 57 goals.

2004/05: 1- 72 goals, 2- 87 goals, Liverpool- 52 goals.

2003/04: 1- 73 goals, 2- 67 goals, Liverpool- 55 goals.

2002/03: 1- 74 goals, 2- 85 goals , Liverpool- 61 goals.

2001/02: 1- 79 goals, 2- 67 goals.

2000/01: 1- 79 goals, 2- 63 goals, Liverpool- 71 goals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1999/00: 1- 97 goals, 2- 73 goals, Liverpool- 51 goals

1998/99: 1- 80 goals, 2- 59 goals, Liverpool- 68 goals

1997/98: 1- 68 goals, 2- 73 goals, Liverpool- 68 goals

1996/97: 1- 76 goals, 2- 73 goals, Liverpool- 62 goals

1995/96: 1- 73 goals, 2- 66 goals, Liverpool- 70 goals

1994/95: 1- 80 goals, 2- 77 goals, Liverpool- 65 goals

1993/94: 1- 80 goals, 2- 63 goals, Liverpool- 59 goals

1992/93: 1- 67 goals, 2- 57 goals, Liverpool- 62 goals.

So when I say we will more than likely need to score 70+ and probably 75+ goals to win the league I think I`m on to something.

As we also might see we have only managed to score 70 or more goals twice during the same period, so I think its obvious where we really need to improve to get this long waited opportunity.

I`m not sure it helps our case when we play a striker who has not scored in the league in his last 26 matches as much as we do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I dont buy into the number of goals we need to score, code72, just because we score 6 against Derby means nothing in the grand scheme of things, you dont get any points or advantage unless the league is decided by goal difference (potentially it could be).

we can win a lot of games 1-0. every league campaign is different and you can draw lots of conclusions from them in hindsight

Gerrard in a 442 is a problem for me, he needs to play o nthe right or behind the main striker rather than with Xabi or Masher so we play to his attacking strengths. as for explaining the performance against the Mancs it's a lot easier when the whole team and crowd are up for it against the champions who are intent on playing a bit and leaving space but they can find it hard to lift themselves for the likes of Stoke or WBA

the 4321 is the system we should stick to which means either Keane sits on the bench or Gerrard starts on the right, until then we'll probably continue to stutter and drop points.

notice it worked well away against Marseille (keane on the bench and 2 holding midfielders) it allowed Gerrard to be on the edge of the box and score that beauty rather than in the centre circle.

Excellent post, I'd like to see him get a run of games on the right in the 4-2-3-1 where he could wreak havoc with defences. I also think this would help Keane settle as he would know role he would have to play in a formation that suits the rest of the side.

When Benitez played Gerrard on the right he got stick from the media and the fans, despite it working.

Now I think the majority of fans would like to see Gerrard on the right, for the good of the team.

It's is only the media and Gerrard himself who disagree.

• 5 years later...

When did we score as little as this by the end of September, Notts County not included?

I think we have a massive problem on our hands unless Suarez repeats last season.

It's alright, we scored fucking loads last year so Rodgers obviously knows how to get a team scoring.

When did we score as little as this by the end of September, Notts County not included?

I think we have a massive problem on our hands unless Suarez repeats last season.

I think it's too soon to draw any conclusions. We have not gathered enough evidence in this fledgling season yet. We've also had several key mitigating circumstances to account for the scant amount of goals thus far - Sturridge has not been fully fit. Coutinho is out. Suarez is just coming back. 

Then if you look beyond our main three attacking players the rest of the team hasn't really got going yet, either. The defence has been chopping and changing and the most attacking defender, Johnson, is injured. If we look at the midfield we see that the balance hasn't been quite right yet, either. 

DESPITE all of these problems, we have TEN points. And if we look at the goalscoring record from last season, it would seem that the manager can get the team scoring. 

It's far too soon to be worried. 

It's far too soon to draw conclusions. 

I expect the team to settle and find a rhythm, and the goals will come. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's alright, we scored fucking loads last year so Rodgers obviously knows how to get a team scoring.

Top scoring side in the country. I reckon he might know a thing or two about it. Get Suarez and Sturridge fit, Coutinho and Johnson back in the side, then we'll look better. We do still need one more quality left sided player, but we've got some firepower there. I'm looking forward to dicking Sunderland so we might get little rest from the needless doom.

Lets see how this one worked out though.

Lets say we will need 75 goals to win the league.

I think it will have to look something like this, but I`m not sure we have the players to do it.

Attack: 45
Midfield: 24
Defense: 6

I said we would need to score around 75 goals to have a chance to win the league and we scored 77 and finished second.

Red-Ed if you think Torres and Keane will score 50 goals in the league you will be disappointed and who are these three midfielders you are talking about who are able to score 10 goals?

I can give it a go and try to come up with some sort of prediction.

Goals predicted - goals last season - goals the 08/09 season.

Attack:
Torres- 18 (24) - scored 14
Keane- 10 - scored 5
Babel- 6 (4) - scored 3
Kuyt- 6 (3) - scored 12
N`Gog- 2 - scored 2
Total- predicted 42 goals - scored 36 goals

Midifeld:
Gerrard- 9 (11) - scored 16 goals
Alonso- 3 (2) - scored 3 goals
Mascherano- 0 (1) - scored 0 goals
Lucas- 1 (-) - scored 1 goal
Benayoun- 4 (4) - scored 8 goals
Rieira- 4 - scored 3 goals
Pennant- 0 (2) - scored 0 goals
Plessis- 0 (-) - scored 0 goals
El Zahr- 0 (-) - scored 0 goals
Total- predicted 21 goals - scored 31 goals

Defense:
Hyypia- 1 (1) - scored 1 goal
Agger- 2 (-) - scored 1 goal
Carra- 0 (-) - scored 0 goals
Skrtel- 1 (-) - scored 0 goals
Dossena- 0 - scored 1 goal
Aurelio- 1 (1) - scored 2 goals
Arbeloa- 0 (-) - scored 1 goal
Degen- 0 - scored 0 goals
Total- predicted 5 goals - scored 6 goals

This adds up to 68 goals and I dont think anyone can accuse me for being too negative in my prediction.

I predicted we would score 68 goals but forgot to add own goals, I got it wrong with 5 goals  without the own goals.

Our midfield chipped in with 10 more goals than I predicted though mostly because of Gerrards 16 and Yossi's 8 goals.

The thing is though, løook at our midfield today and imagine them scoring 31 league goals this season, that would be something sadly if we get 15 bI think we should be happy.

When I have the time next week I'll look into this and make a prediction player for player like this.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1