You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Code

I can understand why Rafa is persisting with Carra and Skrtel as first choice centre backs. They're keeping clean sheets and the more they play together the better their understanding will become.

I think that logic should be employed through the whole team. Then, we may just start seeing something

Woo had an embarrasing argument did he Code 72? Not quite as embarrasing as including a 1 -0 win to us v Liege however it was achieved (we scored IN the game after all) as a 0 - 0 Draw AND deliberately omitting the fact that we were ALSO the top scorers in the Champions League last season and that however you look at it is a sign of our undoubted quality which will show again this year as the season draws on - Just include all the facts in your next argument mate OK? If there's one thing that REALLY annoys me it's one sided arguments presented by idiots with agendas who think they can do no wrong - Usually Manc', Chelsea or Everton fans - Don't behave like them again.

Remember the Mancs last year at the start? 1 defeat and 2 draws (1 embarrassingly at home v relegation fodder) in their first few games and then a load of 1 - 0 's - well change the 1 - 0's to 2 -1's and their draw at home on the first day despite dominating to ours yesterday (and we DID dominate - I've no idea how we didn't score yesterday - oh we did but a blind linesman didn't see it) and the 2 beginnings (theirs last season and ours this) are VERY similar - what did they go on to do last year?

Why can't we do that to? We're capable of great things this year and with the draw between Mancs and Chavs today are still very much within firing distance of the top spot so I wouldn't worry to much yet - If I were an Everton fan though I'd be worried about a backlash come next Saturday - Someone will suffer from us soon we've missed so many chances in recent games that it just can't carry on like that and someone will suffer, and suffer soon - wouldn't it be lovely if it were them?.................

I can understand why Rafa is persisting with Carra and Skrtel as first choice centre backs. They're keeping clean sheets and the more they play together the better their understanding will become.

Me too, but these are games where keeping a clean sheet isn't our biggest concern. Playing Sami for at most one game in four isn't going to be excessively disruptive to building the partnership.

Isn't the goalscoring problem down to the fact that our midfield simply doesn't produce. Alonso is a non-scoring midfielder, and he ought to get a bit more stick for this on these fora as it's one of the main reasons Rafa wanted to move him on; Masch too won't get goals (although at least he's a defensive midfielder so has an excuse); I can't see Lucas getting goals (i'm still not convinced I could tell you what the point of him is); Pennant (say no more); Riera it's too early to say; Benayoun doesn't get enough on a regular basis; Kuyt as right midfielder doesn't contribute in the League.

So if Gerrard and Torres don't score, we rarely will.

I'm not worried about the lack of goals from our strikers yet. Both Torres and Keane are top class players who are proven in the Premier League and I'm sure both will hit form sooner rather than later (starting with Everton next week). The longer they go without scoring however, the more they will snatch at chances that they should be taking. Once the first goals come though, I'm positive they'll both get plenty this season.

As soon as we bought Keane it was apparent the front four needed to be:

------Torres------

Babel--Keane--Gerrard

If we play that front four for a few games it will all settle down, goals will come, and we will begin to look like a team that will put in a strong challenge for the title.

Riera comes into it, possibly ahead of Babel, but that's the only slight question mark for me. (If he didn't start Babel would then be an impact sub, from wide or through the middle).

IF Rafa will play that then we're in business. If he does something else, we'll cough and splutter, and by the time the team above springs into life we can but hope we're still in it.

Keane has usually got between 12-16 goals for Spurs, but I will be happy if he gets close to 10 for us this season, because we play a different system and he most likely will not be taking the penalties.

Keane's last 5 seasons goals tally:

23/ 22/ 16/ 17/ 16

Are you ever even fucking CLOSE to being right about anything?

As for goals, Babel has proven that he can score goals and of course Gerrard and Torres always will. Riera is an unknown quantity, and as for Kuyt, he certainly should start contributing more.

The biggest "hole" in our goalscoring is from the two central midfielders Alonso and Masher, who will probably score aboout three between them.

We also don't really have many goals from any of the defenders, although Agger and Sami usually bag a handful.

As soon as we bought Keane it was apparent the front four needed to be:

------Torres------

Babel--Keane--Gerrard

If we play that front four for a few games it will all settle down, goals will come, and we will begin to look like a team that will put in a strong challenge for the title.

Riera comes into it, possibly ahead of Babel, but that's the only slight question mark for me. (If he didn't start Babel would then be an impact sub, from wide or through the middle).

IF Rafa will play that then we're in business. If he does something else, we'll cough and splutter, and by the time the team above springs into life we can but hope we're still in it.

Quite a bold statement to make that, G. Either Rafa plays your team or we'll fail? How do you explain beating the Mancs without that line up, or the other good results we've had this season, e.g Marseille away when Keane didn't start?

Keane's last 5 seasons goals tally:

23/ 22/ 16/ 17/ 16

Are you ever even fucking CLOSE to being right about anything?

As for goals, Babel has proven that he can score goals and of course Gerrard and Torres always will. Riera is an unknown quantity, and as for Kuyt, he certainly should start contributing more.

The biggest "hole" in our goalscoring is from the two central midfielders Alonso and Masher, who will probably score aboout three between them.

We also don't really have many goals from any of the defenders, although Agger and Sami usually bag a handful.

:wallbutt:

Oh dear another one.

Let me help you out a bit, I could not give a flying fuck about how many goals Keane has scored in the UEFA, Carling or FA Cup for Tottenham, I want us us to win the league so I focus on the league.

If you dont understand its league goals I`m talking about you might consider ask someone for help and they probably will be able to explain it for you.

Keane has scored 16 goals as his highest tally ever for Spurs in the league as their main man, for some reason I think he will struggle to achieve that for us.

He has played 12 matches now, 11 starts and scored 0 goals, Voronin had already scored 5 goals in his first 9 matches last season.

• Upvote 1

If you mean league goals then say league goals. Are we supposed to read your mind or something?

I would have thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about the league after the first post on the thread.

But maybe not. :whoops:

We have played 8 official matches so far this season and 4 out of 8 has ended in a 0-0 draw, is it time to start worrying about our goalscoring abilities and especially our goalscoring abilities in the league?

Torres scored 24 goals in the league last season, I have said all summer that I think he will struggle to copy that this season and everything over 18 goals from him will be a huge bonus.

Kuyt has not scored in the league in the last 26 games he has played and he has scored 3 goals in the his last 38 league games, two penalties and one of his knee.

Keane has usually got between 12-16 goals for Spurs, but I will be happy if he gets close to 10 for us this season, because we play a different system and he most likely will not be taking the penalties.

I`m of the belief that we will need to score 70-75 goals to stand a chance to win the league, do we have the players in our squad to do this?

• Upvote 1

What do you mean 'just the league' behave yourself.

If Rafa said he was only trying to win the league then it's valid but he's never said that.

Do you think we have a different manager and set of players for our league games?

Do you think Kuyt get's a chance and says to himself 'think I'll miss this one as it's only the league'.

Don't you understand that framing an issue makes it easy to taint it one way or the other in order to influence how it looks?

I would have thought it was pretty obvious I was talking about the league after the first post on the thread.

But maybe not. :whoops:

So you specifically mentioned the league in relation to torres and the league in relation to Kuyt and we're supposed to guess that you meant the same for keane even though you did the opposite?

If we score 0 goals after 90 minutes and extra time we still can win all knock out competitions we enter, thats not the case with the league.

All stats tell you that we will need to score 70 goals + to win the league, thats why I focus on the league when I talk about goalscoring.

• Upvote 1

So you specifically mentioned the league in relation to torres and the league in relation to Kuyt and we're supposed to guess that you meant the same for keane even though you did the opposite?

The fact I said he scores between 12-16 goals might give you a hint. :whistle:

• Upvote 1