You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?

Code

We have played 8 official matches so far this season and 4 out of 8 has ended in a 0-0 draw, is it time to start worrying about our goalscoring abilities and especially our goalscoring abilities in the league?

Standard Liege-Liverpool 0-0

Liverpool-Standard Liege 0-0 (1-0 aet)

Aston Villa-Liverpool 0-0

Liverpool-Stoke 0-0

Torres scored 24 goals in the league last season, I have said all summer that I think he will struggle to copy that this season and everything over 18 goals from him will be a huge bonus.

Kuyt has not scored in the league in the last 26 games he has played and he has scored 3 goals in the his last 38 league games, two penalties and one of his knee.

Keane has usually got between 12-16 goals for Spurs, but I will be happy if he gets close to 10 for us this season, because we play a different system and he most likely will not be taking the penalties.

I`m of the belief that we will need to score 70-75 goals to stand a chance to win the league, do we have the players in our squad to do this?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

All wiil fall into place shortly,to many good players for us not to get goals.

By the way keane got 23 for Spurs last season.As i said on the match thread,i cant comment on today,but in the Manc game he was trying to hard.He just needs 1 and an almighty weight will be lifted from his shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Of course not. We got the most goals last season, and its a matter of time before we start doing it again.

That is an embarrasing argument Woo, have you ever looked behind those numbers, we scored most goal last season because we had to play rematches against absolute abysmal teams like Luton etc.

We scored 67 goals in the league last season and our main striker had a season I think he will struggle to reproduce this season, we have also got rid of 10 goals in Crouch and Voronin from last season.

67 goals were fare away enough to win us the league and we have to do better not worse.

So who are going to score the goals for us when Gerrard and Tores have an off day?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I know it's stating the obvious but Torres isn't fit. Whether it's burn out from the Euros or not enough games recently I'm not sure, but I think he looks like he's carrying a few extra pounds.

Robbie Keane needs to spend more time actually up front rather than tracking back and he also needs to stop trying so hard. He looks like he wants to burst the net every time.

They'll both come good but one of them needs to start scoring soon.

• Upvote 1

Torres definitely looks a few games off the pace. It's coming, and someone is going to suffer at our hands soon.

I have noticed he uses more time on the ball to try to get the perfect opportunity both in pre-season and in our competitive matches instead of just taking the shot when the opportunity rises.

It happened again today, he tried to control it instead of just get the ball on target, hopefully it wont last long.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

I know it's stating the obvious but Torres isn't fit. Whether it's burn out from the Euros or not enough games recently I'm not sure, but I think he looks like he's carrying a few extra pounds.

Robbie Keane needs to spend more time actually up front rather than tracking back and he also needs to stop trying so hard. He looks like he wants to burst the net every time.

They'll both come good but one of them needs to start scoring soon.

Boy i'm glad you said that, i've been telling anyone who'll listen that to me he looks like he's putting on the timber but everybody looks at me like i'm stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have noticed he uses more time on the ball to try to get the perfect opportunity both in pre-season and in our competitive matches instead of just taking the shot when the opportunity rises.

It happened again today, he tried to control it instead of just get the ball on target, hopefully it wont last long.

I agree, he doesn't look sharp, he looks like the Euros has effected him and he has been hindered with injury as well. He'll sort himself out.

It doesn't matter who it was against - you can only beat what gets put in front of you.

Off course, but why use it as an argument about our goalscoring ability when it comes as a consequense of not being good enough to beat the likes of Luton in the first place and by this playing more games than the teams you compare yourself with.

How does how many goals we put past Reading and Luton in different domestic cups help our league challenge?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Torres has had virtually no break from last season. I dont think he's hoyed on the beef but if he has bulked up, it will be muscle not fat!

Torres was always going to find it harder in his second season and again, he's having to get used to another partner up front. Class is permanent after all.

Keane I've got great doubts about. If we were going to shell out £20m on another striker, Im surprised Benitez splashed it on him tbh. What's worrying is despite all the claims that the partnership will 'come good' there is absolutely no sign it will imo. Benitez and the coaching staff have their work cut out to get this one up and running. If after 12 games it aint happening, what's he going to do, grasp the nettle and change it or just persevere?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Fucking hell. The thread title says 'Goalscoring, do we have a problem on our hands?'. I state a fact that backs the argument that we dont have a problem, then because you dont agree is embarassing?

I like you. Youre heads so far up your own arse that your views are amusing.

I'm concerned about both Torres and Keane.

Torres looks shot as he did during the Euros. He needs a rest which we can't afford to give him.

Keane still doesn't look like he's gonna score any time soon.

With regards to today, Yossi is the perfect man to unlock stubborn defences and can't really understand why he never started today as he only had a brief cameo during the week in Marseille.

I think it's time to go back to 4-5-1 until Keane sorts himself out.

Has Kuyt really not scored in 26 league games? Wow, fuck me that's poor no matter which way you look at it.

Even worse, Kuyts last goal in the league at Anfield came against Wigan in April 2007.

So like someone else asked, whats the use for him in league matches at home when most teams will sit back and defend, even Chelsea and the mancs do so these days.

Edit- and sorry Woo, but I was thinking mainly about the league.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We have played 8 official matches so far this season and 4 out of 8 has ended in a 0-0 draw, is it time to start worrying about our goalscoring abilities and especially our goalscoring abilities in the league?

Liverpool-Stoke 0-0

Torres scored 24 goals in the league last season, I have said all summer that I think he will struggle to copy that this season and everything over 18 goals from him will be a huge bonus.

Kuyt has not scored in the league in the last 26 games he has played and he has scored 3 goals in the his last 38 league games, two penalties and one of his knee.

Keane has usually got between 12-16 goals for Spurs, but I will be happy if he gets close to 10 for us this season, because we play a different system and he most likely will not be taking the penalties.

I`m of the belief that we will need to score 70-75 goals to stand a chance to win the league, do we have the players in our squad to do this?

Yes

Liverpool-Stoke 0-0

3 have ended in 0-0 draws.

If we can have a real sensible debate about this without idiotic name calling then there is nothing wrong with the thread maybe some of the views on it.

From my point of view today was on the cards and has been an accident waiting to happen with our transfer policy of the summer when buying a creative forward to unlock defences should have been the priority and we just havent addressed our biggest failing from last season.

We may have scored more goals against anyone else but it tended to be bucket loads when the game was won. However the truth is we struggled to break defensive teams like stoke down and its because we dont have a player like Cole, Deco, Rooney, Ronaldo, Cesc or Rosicksy someone to unlock a tight packed defence.

That was a problem last season and we didnt address is and today it came back to bite us in the arse.

I had my reservations about Keane and hope he proves me wrong and should be given another 5 league games before he joins the list of Rafa's failed forward signings.

We have very good rafa style hard working players but outside of Gerrard we have no one who can create something out of nothing for the team

I had my reservations about Keane and hope he proves me wrong and should be given another 5 league games before he joins the list of Rafa's failed forward signings.

Whats baffling is that your being serious aernt you Nick? You think 10 league games is enough to brand a player whos proven for the past few seasons hes a top quality player a failure?

Its not uncommon for new players to take time to settle into new systems, it happens all the time and it will happen again.