You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Blue mates

Hooch

Just wondering how many people on here have close bue mates and what their relationship is like with them?

I have a tightly knit group of friends of which 3 of them are staunch season ticket holding blues and one red along with myself.

We never get bitter with each other when discussing football in general or even derby games, and we never even send piss take texts to each other if the other team is getting spanked or whatever. It's just not a thing we've ever done. However I know loads of lads who can't wait to rub their mates noses in it blue and red. Even I partake in that when it comes to some of the bitter blues in my work, but never with me mates, it's just not the done thing.

We always talk about the footy but whenever we get on to each others teams/games I've always tried to be posititive/neutral as do they to be fair. The funny thing is I absolutely fucking hate Everton and their fans and I love it when they lose, and I know for a fact my blue mates are exactly the same with us. They do however tell me they've never sang the Gerrard/Meeerrderers songs which I doubt to be honest.

I always wonder how we'd get on if we were out in the open about it all and having digs all the time though. Funny subject eh?

My brother's a blue and I distinctly remember him phoning me when I was on the roof of the Lloyds building in London doing some site work on a Saturday. It was the day of the derby (the one where Brucie and Macca tried to punch each other) and he was calling all excited like to tell me that they'd won. He's younger than me and wasn't used to a win on derby day so it was the highlight of the season and of course being related I empathised with his joy and delight at such an occasion.

Then I told him to fuck off.

I've got a sad confession to make here, but only two of my mates are reds. The rest are blue and two are mancs, others only take a passing interest in footy because they're into rugby instead or some shit. Of my five 'best' mates, three are bitters and one is a scum fan, the other is red.

The 'outer rung' of mates is compsed mostly of blues too.

Theres two blue's who I hang round with.

One is a ST holder, and a proper proper bitter bastard, I never watch football with him. End of.

The other is alright, hes not bitter. Infact he has a really unhealthy love for Torres, although he has done for years before we signed him. Hes even got a spain Torres top. Hes sound, I dont mind watching the match with him.

All of my mates are nobheads when it comes to footy, I hate watching the game with them to be honest.

One is a ST holder, and a proper proper bitter bastard, I never watch football with him. End of.

The other is alright, hes not bitter. Infact he has a really unhealthy love for Torres, although he has done for years before we signed him. Hes even got a spain Torres top. Hes sound, I dont mind watching the match with him.

All of my mates are nobheads when it comes to footy, I hate watching the game with them to be honest.

Explains why you average 23.4 posts per day. ;)

I've got 3 really close mates who are blues (thats out of about 10 of us, the rest are red) and we all get on sound, one go's a bit nuts when the derby's on but we just tell him to fuck off.

On another note, half of my family is blue. My Mum and Sister are blue (they're off the standard liege game thursday) while me, my dad and brother are reds. All my mums side are blues and all my dads are reds.

I have a few mates I can't watch football with... They try to argue with me when my blood is up. I always have to stomp off to the other side of the pub.

All my mates from back in Crosby are Reds (About 10 or so), there was two blues hanging round with us, but they were never as really close. I started going to the games with these lads back in about 92' when I was about 14 and most of them are still fairly regular match goers in one way or another.

My oldest mate (who doesn't hang round with that group) is a blue and pretty much the only blue; brother apart,that I've managed to stay friends with long term. We still rub each others noses in it, but its never came to blows, yet!

As I live down south now, its a bit of a different mix. Most of the lads and lasses are reds, with my best mate from Uni being and Arsenal fan. There are other few exceptions including a Southern manc, whom I watched the game with on Saturday. Hes a real hot head, storming off type of bloke, I've seen him storm out of boozers on loads of occasions due to the manc losing. But whenever they play us, he's good as gold, doesn't really rub it in (as he could have done in recent times) and takes defeat almost graciously. Almost.

Dont have many blue mates at all. Used to go to college with a proper bitter blue from skem (arnt they all), he was a good lad (when not talking about football) but claimed radzinski was better than Owen and also claimed his reaction to the Gary Mac goal a few years back was to spit in his best mates face (who is a red) - classy.

Nearly all my mates are a combination of reds and mancs. On Liverpool - utd match days, it gets very messy round ours (friends or no friends)!

I have 3 mates who are blues.

One of them is just a bitter bastard if you even mention football. It doesnt even have to be about Liverpool or Everton, specifically. A typical, "ifithadntavebeenfer"

One of them, is one of the nicest lads you could meet and if you had a conversation about footy with him, he is totally unbiased and rational. Unless....... he is in the company of other blues.

One of them I know, also happens to reside on the the GF. In the time I've known her, she's never taken the piss about footy, and so neither have I.

One of my uncles was a blue (the only one on both sides of the family). He was also a compulsive liar and a right bastard. He's dead now.

I don't have any close mate blues but there's several I know casually or work with. The Work ones are all bitters who haven't been a game between them but are first to say "liverpool didn't do well on the weekend did they?" when we have a bad result

The ones I know casually from the pub etc actually know about football so you can have a decent conversation with them. Just don't mention the derby last year at the pit

I've got 3 really close mates who are blues (thats out of about 10 of us, the rest are red) and we all get on sound, one go's a bit nuts when the derby's on but we just tell him to fuck off.

On another note, half of my family is blue. My Mum and Sister are blue (they're off the standard liege game thursday) while me, my dad and brother are reds. All my mums side are blues and all my dads are reds.

Yeah my arl fella's family are all blue and my mums side are red. I know it's over done sometimes but the fact you can get on well with most blues (even the bitter ones) is still nice too see.

I remember my first holiday in Magaluf when me and my mates were all 17, we all headed out in our footy tops for our first night. There were 3 in Everton and 3 in Liverpool tops. The looks we got off people were priceless. Lads from other cities in the UK just couldn't get their heads round it.

My close mates who are blues are cool, they don't take the piss and I can talk football with them all the time. I find it's mates who I'm not so close with who are the knobheads. People who I know from the pub, or who are friends through other mates seem to revel in talking about Hysel and all the rest of it. Perhaps that's why they aren't close friends, and never will be?

It's the same with United supporters, I have a few close mates who support them (despite never going to Old Trafford!) but again, we talk football all the time without a crossed word. United fans who I know, but not too well, love talking shit and taking the piss though.

I think its just a novelty thing. I've been to school with blues and have loads of die hard blue mates. When football comes up they do change and get bitter but in a funny way. I never send them texts about them losing oe whatever. I chant the odd song at them for a laff and they chant back. We go for a bevy and watch each others teamm and take the piss but it never gets serious.