You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't be surprised if Gerrards is goal of the tournament to be honest. Can't see many better goals being scored than that.

If the Goalkeeper/Defender/Midfielder of the year awards during the CL draw are anything to go buy goal of the tournament will be given to a 1 yard tap in that Lampard still manages to deflect off a player before scoring.

Enjoyable half that.

Babel has been ace, everytime the ball comes into our area Carra is there to deal with it and Gerrard has been head and shoulders above everyone.

Lucas and the Chief just need to make sure they leave no space in front of our back four and we need to cut out the stupid freekicks we're giving away.

I can see us getting a couple more in the 2nd half.

Marseille are a tidy team, much better than they were last season. Think we need Alonso on the pitch here, our ball retention is a bit poor. Need to get torres into the game, he's not been involved much.

Gerrard and Babel have been class, Ryan should get a goal/assist if he keeps playing as he has.

I know it's only half time, but I'm loving the fact that this is the third time already we've turned a game around so far this season.

We haven't done that too often after conceeding the first goal in the past few seasons. This is a very good sign.

Thinking the same myself very good sign, also this pass and move stuff might just catch on...

Going well, but it feels a bit like we'd be fucked without Gerrard on the pitch, like he's pulled us through again. I'd be happy if we could get another goal or two from other players, because I don't think we look too dangerous in the last third, if you take away Gerrard's insanely brilliant goal.

I'm also a bit disappointed with the lack of presence that Lucas and Masch have once Marseille cross into our half, and the general lack of harrassing their players like we did against Man Utd. Hopefully things will look better next half, because if they stay the same they're more than likely to score again.

Gonna get moving anyway, am supposed to be watching the next half in the pub.

I love the pace we have in attack when Babel, Torres and Gerrard play at the same time, gives me the lovely feeling that we can create something in a second.

The Chief has been strangely sloppy and unconcentrated, the same can be said about Carra and Skertl.

Lucas: solid but anonymous.

All in all a satisfying and entertaining first half.

That was a totally unexpected half of football! I was expecting a tight and tense affair but it was open as fuck and really enjoyable to watch. When we go away from home in Europe and win 1-0 or get a 0-0, we're all delighted with a 'professional point' but tonight's game is really enjoyable.

I like the fact that we're taking risks even if it leaves us a bit open at the back. There's more goals for us in this game if we keep taking it to them.

Their goal was really poor though. I wasn't necessarily annoyed with the defensive line (Carra was at fault there), more the ease with which their holding player picked out Cheyrou - he had so much time and wasn't challenged. We need to cut the supply to their midfielders who are finding space 'in between the lines'.

Gerrard has been immense (what an amazing goal) and Babel's performance has been so encouraging. He's been using his strength a lot more than usual and has held the defenders off really well. It's performances like his tonight which make you certain that he'll turn into a world class player, but he needs to strive for some consistency I think.

I think Mascherano looks very tired and the game has totally bypassed Lucas, so I think Xabi should be introduced and hopefully we'll see Riera and Keane at some point too.

Good half though and hopefully we can finish the job off to keep morale (and momentum) high...

Good game of footy but must admit I don't really know what's going on with the formation, there seems to be four players being drawn to the ball and then breaking with no obvious plan of attack. Can't complain because we're winning, strange though.

4-2-random. It's the way forward.

We have looked a bit dogdy in defence. Carra has looked very off the pace, he broke the line for the goal. Did the same for their chance just after we scored our second and then he lost the ball by dwelling on it almost letting Marseilles in. He has the character to step up, but it was a very unlike Carra first half. Also the chief also lost the ball to easy early on, but he improved iduring the half. Lucas has balanced the side well, intercepting and breaking their attacks, but has been weak going forward. He also needs to step up a level in the attacking sense.

The main positives is that we looks dangerous going forward and look able to create something at will. Babel continued his good play from saturday, while Gerrard proves his worth yet again. Im pretty certain this match will include a Torres goal, if he is fit enough to play full match. And I think Babel`s pace will be vital on the break when Marseilles push forward.

All in all a good half, but they are good going forward, so I think we`ll need another goal to settle this tie.