You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...

I came to Madrid to watch my mates band (templeton pek, check them out) supporting millencolin.

They were travelling straight after the gig as they played Barcelona the next night.

I checked into my hostel and found an awesome punk bar called Wrong Way literally yards from my gaff, and while flyering for my mates band outside the venue after the gig got chatting to some spaniards and found that there was an unofficial after party at that bar.

I had the best night, drinking til 5am, didn't pay for a single drink, made to feel more welcome than anywhere else I've ever been.

Got to love punk rock and punk rockers.

Muy bien

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm saddened by how much of the music press seems desperate to manufacture some controversy around the AC/DC Brian Johnson/Axl Rose situation.  AC/DC have a big tour booked.  Brian has been told that if he performs a stadium tour there is a very high chance he will damage his hearing permanently, to the point of becoming completely deaf.  They have two choices; get another singer for the tour or cancel it.  They don't want to cancel it and let their fans down, so they got another singer in.  It's hardly unheard of.  Brian has made it clear that he can still do studio work and intends to do so, Axl is off to do the reformed Guns n Roses tour after the AC/DC one finishes.  Can't see any problems there.

I have to admit I thought 'oh dear' when I first heard about it.  Not quite to the point Roger Daltrey did, describing it as karaoke (cheers Roger, now why don't you get back to not doing the scream any more on 'Won't Get Fooled Again' because your voice can't handle it whilst standing next to your guitarist who has spoken about the misery of his own performance-induced deafness and have a nice big cup of shut the fuck up) but still not really being enthused.

Then I thought about it a bit more and realised that actually, most of AC/DC's stuff is right in Axl's vocal range and he might be quite a good match for them.

Then I heard this.

AC/DC are playing the Etihad in June.  Coincidentally, the last time I saw Axl live was also at City's ground, only it was at Maine Road in '92 on the Use Your Illusion tour when they had Soundgarden and Faith No More supporting them in one of the best lineups for a gig I've ever seen.  Tickets are £80+ but I'm actually considering it now just for the novelty value.

Not somewhere I can watch the vid at the moment.

I've been reserving judgment until I've seen some evidence.

How is it?

The one I posted?  Sounds fucking awesome to me mate.  Obviously that's GNR with Angus guesting, not AC/DC, but vocally it's bang on and musically you've got 90% of AC/DC's sound with Angus anyway so it's reasonable evidence to judge on I'd say.  GNR were covering Whole Lotta Rosie at gigs back when they still had the classic lineup and it basically sounds the same to me.

I've seen some footage of the gig GNR did at the Roxy recently but to be honest the sound quality on the clips was so shite that I didn't really feel I could judge how his voice was holding up one way or the other.  Based on that performance though it should be fine, only question is how his voice will stand up to playing full sets of that night after night I guess.

I've just listened to that again.  Whole Lotta Rosie is seriously one of the best balls-out rock songs I've ever heard.

• Upvote 1