You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

BUMP!

Always been a fan of Alice In Chains, in fact I would go as far as saying they are a big influence on how I write riffs and tune ideas. And I have been having many a debate about the current version of them and everyone keeps saying that they are not as good without Layne Staley.

I disagree. I think that with Staley the harmonies were a lot more raw as they had feeling which made the subject matter feel like you were going on the journey to death yourself.

With ths new fella I reckon he has made them a better band musically. I love how his different style to Staley still works with Cantrell's own voice. I loved Black Gives Way To Blue and I think the latest one, The Devil Put Dinosairs Here, is a step up. The same old sound but a lot more solid. A lot more grown up.

I enjoyed King Animal as a comeback album from The Garden but this beats it for the title of Best Heavy Grunge Comeback Award.

UK tour in November with Ghost supporting.....what a night that will be. Tickets on sale on Friday.

Suicidal Tendencies, Camden, last night, fucking brilliant gig. Like an oven and 90 odd minutes of mental moshpits.

Thank fuck I'm off work til Wednesday.

Saw the setlist earlier, and it looked brilliant, gutted I couldn't go.

I'm off to see Clutch tomorrow night in Manchester.

BUMP!

Always been a fan of Alice In Chains, in fact I would go as far as saying they are a big influence on how I write riffs and tune ideas. And I have been having many a debate about the current version of them and everyone keeps saying that they are not as good without Layne Staley.

I disagree. I think that with Staley the harmonies were a lot more raw as they had feeling which made the subject matter feel like you were going on the journey to death yourself.

With ths new fella I reckon he has made them a better band musically. I love how his different style to Staley still works with Cantrell's own voice. I loved Black Gives Way To Blue and I think the latest one, The Devil Put Dinosairs Here, is a step up. The same old sound but a lot more solid. A lot more grown up.

I enjoyed King Animal as a comeback album from The Garden but this beats it for the title of Best Heavy Grunge Comeback Award.

I've totally ignored the Alice in Chains stuff since they reformed because I simply couldn't figure out how they could replace Staley.

However Stone sounds brilliant and I'll be digging out some of the newer stuff now. Cantrell still churning out quality riffs and DuVall seems to fit in really well. I've definitely been missing out.

I've totally ignored the Alice in Chains stuff since they reformed because I simply couldn't figure out how they could replace Staley.

However Stone sounds brilliant and I'll be digging out some of the newer stuff now. Cantrell still churning out quality riffs and DuVall seems to fit in really well. I've definitely been missing out.

They are worth seeing live with DuVall. I first saw them with him when they supported Metallica in Dublin, 2006 I think, and was very impressed, but have seen them since on their last UK tour, ironically in the same venue that I last saw them with Staley, and they blew me away. Such a brilliant band and his vocal style just fits perfectly.

When I first heard the rumours of a new album before Black Gives Way To Blue, I was quite sceptical myself. But nce that album came out though I was made up.

What helps is that DuVall was in Cantrell's backing band for his solo stuff and did a few covers with Jerry on tour. SO Cantrell felt comfortable enough to reform AIC, and Cantrell does the majority of the singing so it still keeps that AIC core.

Staley was all about pain and dark anger through addiction. I think Cantrell is all about being grown up and reflecting on what Staley sang about. A proper band Evolution done in the right amount of time. Duvall's vocals are to Cantrell, to what Cantrell's were to Staley's.

And that is the perfect balance.

They are worth seeing live with DuVall. I first saw them with him when they supported Metallica in Dublin, 2006 I think, and was very impressed, but have seen them since on their last UK tour, ironically in the same venue that I last saw them with Staley, and they blew me away. Such a brilliant band and his vocal style just fits perfectly.

I seen them at BBK in Bilbao in 2010* and they were immense. They have picked the right classics to do on tour as well which I think helps with keeping that old vibe going, as DuVall slots in perfectly.

* Other bands that weekend were Pearl Jam who were on just after AIC, Mike McCready joined them for Rooster. The Manics, Slayer, Weller, Gomez, Biffy Clyro, Rammstein, Fender, Skunk Anansie and Faith No More.

Yeah got a text off my mate today.

Them the 11th QOTSA the 16th. A trip to Barcelona in the middle. Happy days.

Tickets booked for AIC and Ghost, excited already!!!!

Busy week for you there. I've got Damnation Festival on November 2nd, Carcass headlining that one.

Tickets booked for AIC and Ghost, excited already!!!!

Busy week for you there. I've got Damnation Festival on November 2nd, Carcass headlining that one.

Not yet but I am confident of getting them Friday.

My mate (who text me about AIC) lives two doors down from Jeff of Carcass in Orrell Park.

Not yet but I am confident of getting them Friday.

My mate (who text me about AIC) lives two doors down from Jeff of Carcass in Orrell Park.

My mate got them through O2 priority.

Another mate of mine is close friends with Bill from Carcass, works as his roadie occasionally when he tours with Firebird, so he's kept me up to date with all Carcass stuff. The new album sounds very impressive, old cuts that didn't make the Heartwork album, mixed up with new stuff written by Jeff and Bill. I met Jeff at a Firebird gig in Manchester a few years ago, seems a nice bloke.

I've had a few drinks with Bill, and he's very down to earth and extremely humble, no hint of the usual musician's ego at all.

Went to see Clutch last night, and I'm still a bit speechless, the gig was as near to perfect as you can get. No pissing about on the stage, just head down, get on with the music, played loads of the new album, with a few classics thrown in.