You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I played this CD on the way to work this morning, and I enjoyed it, but there are too may weak songs on it to consider it their best album, just my opinion by the way. It was Megadeth's best line up, with Nick Menza on drums and Marty Friedman on guitar, but they didn't build on the success of "Rust in Peace".

I don't think there's any weak songs on there, tbh. No more than on Master of Puppets or Reign in Blood, anyway. Every song has at least a killer riff or blistering lead guitar to justify its inclusion on the album. I agree that Rust in Peace is better, definitely. I'm a big prog fan so that album will always appeal to my senses more than Countdown to Extinction.

I don't think there's any weak songs on there, tbh. No more than on Master of Puppets or Reign in Blood, anyway. Every song has at least a killer riff or blistering lead guitar to justify its inclusion on the album. I agree that Rust in Peace is better, definitely. I'm a big prog fan so that album will always appeal to my senses more than Countdown to Extinction.

What sort of prog stuff are you into?

What sort of prog stuff are you into?

You name it, mate. Opeth, Angra, Alcest, Dream Theater, Circus Maximus, Zappa, Haken, Zeppelin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Mars Volta, Pain of Salvation, Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Rhapsody, Rush, Seventh Wonder, Vai, Genesis. It's my big weakness, prog. You a fan?

You name it, mate. Opeth, Angra, Alcest, Dream Theater, Circus Maximus, Zappa, Haken, Zeppelin, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Mars Volta, Pain of Salvation, Pink Floyd, Queensryche, Rhapsody, Rush, Seventh Wonder, Vai, Genesis. It's my big weakness, prog. You a fan?

I don't watch a lot of prog stuff, I tend to stick to the heavier stuff and stoner rock/doom, but I've really enjoyed watching Mars Volta, Alcest and Queensryche live. What about Big Elf, do you like them? I saw them in Manchester a few years back and was blown away by them.

Ahhhh, Redphoenix, back in the day when Incubus were a decent band, they just lost the plot completely. I remember seeing them in a tiny club in Manchester years ago and they were just stunning live, shame they went all commercial and toned down their music.

• 3 weeks later...
Ahhhh, Redphoenix, back in the day when Incubus were a decent band, they just lost the plot completely. I remember seeing them in a tiny club in Manchester years ago and they were just stunning live, shame they went all commercial and toned down their music.

Agreed. :/ With each album they went further and further away from the style that I originally loved them for. Just came here to link one more actually.

[YOUTUBE]gzqd1T3K2XQ[/YOUTUBE]

Skids was right about the new Deftones album though, that is a fucking stonker.

Thanks, you made me check the songs over again, because none of them were the style I'm into at the moment first time I checked. This has just managed to grow on me though :

[YOUTUBE]dUm3Ld8xlL4[/YOUTUBE]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Haven't been listening to heavy music much in ages, so I just checked out some Meshuggah, and fucking wow. Check out the polyrhythms in the instruments, and have fun if you're trying to work out the structure of it and how it's put together, it might take you quite a while. This band are insanely talented on a level that I can't even begin to put into words.

6J4Ye7nRT0s

Edited by Red Phoenix

Sorry, when it comes to polyrhythms I might have got an old song mixed up, but listen to the difference between the drumming and the guitars in this once it starts moving along, it's a perfect example of what I was trying to remember. Truly amazing. Fucking legendary band.

jL6e6oiHIu4

Meshuggah are an excellent band and very underrated in my opinion.

Has anyone checked out the new Ghost album yet? Very, very odd, more prog stuff, with bits of pop thrown in. I saw them a few weeks ago in Birmingham and they were excellent.

Other good bands to check out are

Hark

Undersmile

Serpent Venom

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see Airbourne back. Looking forward to when they announce their next tour. I've seen them once and they were excellent.

Check out a band called Hell's Addiction, saw them on Friday in Manchester and they were really good.