You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Only listened to the Tool song once so far but am I allowed to say my initial thoughts are I’m disappointed?

I wanted something ultra heavy like Jambi or The Grudge. It threatens to kick in then pulls back again. 

Will probably need a few listens but it’s not what I wanted. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Only listened to the Tool song once so far but am I allowed to say my initial thoughts are I’m disappointed?

I wanted something ultra heavy like Jambi or The Grudge. It threatens to kick in then pulls back again. 

Will probably need a few listens but it’s not what I wanted. 

Am totally the same. I prefer shorter and heavier songs anyway from Tool so not expecting this album to be a favourite. I'd have preferred this to be about 6-7 mins but with the guitar near the end that I liked coming in before the halfway point and then it turning into a heavier track. I don't mind slow starts that even go past 2 mins with it being Tool because they're one of the best at building up as it progresses, but after that like it to be a lot heavier than this one is.

That's also why I posted without comment, didn't want to be negative before others had even listened to it if they were hearing it here first (which doesn't make much sense, anyone would probably scroll to our comments anyway as they listened for 10 mins). As soon as I heard the entire album is supposed to be made up of longer songs I was a bit gutted, but maybe some of what's there will be a lot better and I'll be ok listening to it.

Listened to it again and I don't think it's bad, just not what I'd normally listen to. I still get shivers/goosebumps with parts of it too, maybe just from hearing they're back after all these years. The bit from 9:00 - 9:30 gets me the most because it sounds like classic Tool, would've loved it if that energy had carried on building up until the end.

I've listened to it a few times as well. I has grown on me, it's better than I first thought & if the harder bits had been more heavy hitting, I'd like it much more.

I don't dislike it, I just don't love it.

Don't think it justifies being 10 mins long either.

• Upvote 1

On 08/08/2019 at 13:46, Scott_M said:

I've listened to it a few times as well. I has grown on me, it's better than I first thought & if the harder bits had been more heavy hitting, I'd like it much more.

I don't dislike it, I just don't love it.

Don't think it justifies being 10 mins long either.

I think the problems with song lengths will be in the album too, can understand 6-7 mins at times but apparently the entire album is made up of songs around this size. Strange decision if true but hoping there's some good stuff in there.

On 11/08/2019 at 01:24, Red Phoenix said:

I think the problems with song lengths will be in the album too, can understand 6-7 mins at times but apparently the entire album is made up of songs around this size. Strange decision if true but hoping there's some good stuff in there.

You’ve got to show something of substance; especially after taking 75 years to make a follow up to 10,000 Days. 

10 hours ago, Juniper said:

Not listened to the new Slipknot one yet but here’s hoping they have put aside the ballads. 

They have.

Not Long For This World is a proper ballad and the worst on the album IMO.

A Liars Funeral starts off slow but has a crushing Henry Rollins-esq chorus.

I’m not really sure how to class Spiders. Think it’s easier to say it’s different.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

They have.

Not Long For This World is a proper ballad and the worst on the album IMO.

A Liars Funeral starts off slow but has a crushing Henry Rollins-esq chorus.

I’m not really sure how to class Spiders. Think it’s easier to say it’s different.

Listened to it earlier, not bad at all. Will be going in for more listens for sure.

Stand out track for me after one listen is ‘Birth of the Cruel’.

Great track and some great playing on it.

On 12/08/2019 at 16:53, Skidfingers McGonical said:

You’ve got to show something of substance; especially after taking 75 years to make a follow up to 10,000 Days. 

I think they will, am mainly concerned about how much won't feel like that if every single song is over 10 mins long. Have heard a live version of a song known as Descending that can be found on youtube and some of the guitar sounds really good, but again it lasts 10+ mins and am not sure about the rest of it. At least we can find out in just over 2 weeks anyway.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Thanks, after reading the first link descriptions I'm going for three songs from the off instead of listening properly, especially with it being such a long album : Invincible, Descending, 7empest. Great to read some mentions of Meshuggah type riffs in there too, at least we know it'll get heavy in places.

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Thanks, after reading the first link descriptions I'm going for three songs from the off instead of listening properly, especially with it being such a long album : Invincible, Descending, 7empest. Great to read some mentions of Meshuggah type riffs in there too, at least we know it'll get heavy in places.

NME gave it 5/5, which is a concern because all their writers are über cunts & they know fuck all about heavy music. Whatever drip reviewed it probably didn’t even listen to it & have it top marks because they felt they should.

21 hours ago, Scott_M said:

NME gave it 5/5, which is a concern because all their writers are über cunts & they know fuck all about heavy music. Whatever drip reviewed it probably didn’t even listen to it & have it top marks because they felt they should.

Haven't read NME in ages, could be an issue but hopefully if it really is someone clueless that reviewed it they got lucky and it's not too far off.