You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'll get murderered for this But

Red Nick

It has to be said

Has anyone else notice we have won the last 3 games when Robbie Keane has gone off and El Zhar has come on and Kuyt has gone into Keane´'s position.

Not only have we won the games but when El Zhar has come on the whole shape of the team looks better and to be fair Kuyt has looked far more effective than Keane as Torres strike partner which does beg the question why we spent 20m on Keane

The question has already been asked, but I don't think the goals had anything to do with it. We were still playing pretty badly after the subs, El Zhar is a nippy little player who I like, but didn't have a lot of impact as the rest of the team were still shite. Same with Sunderland, same with Boro and same tonight. It was just a moment of sheer class that pulled us out of it, again same thing as the past two. We continue playing like this, the majority of the time we won't have a Gerrard or Torres 20-25 yarder to save us, especially against top quality opposition.

It has to be said

Has anyone else notice we have won the last 3 games when Robbie Keane has gone off and El Zhar has come on and Kuyt has gone into Keane´'s position.

Not only have we won the games but when El Zhar has come on the whole shape of the team looks better and to be fair Kuyt has looked far more effective than Keane as Torres strike partner which does beg the question why we spent 20m on Keane

without wanting to piss on your chips or your agenda, robbie keane played the full game on saturday. so that'll be the last three games only counting the games you feel like.

I think this will be the thing that has the other managers shitting themselves to be honest

with all due respect El Zhar isnt the most gifted of wide players but a wide player he is and when he has come on the opposition couldn't keep Liverpool from getting the goals and turning draws into wins

Now if we sign 1 or more wide players before the window closes then how will we drop the points that others need us to drop to win the Prem

The team is really close to being there now we are as solid a side as there is and through the middle we are the equal of anyone but wide we are piss poorput that right and the Prem is Ours

I think it's more El Zhar coming on and adding a bit of pace and width that has made a difference more so than Kuyt moving into the middle and Keane not being there.

I also think Keane is developing a case of the Kuyts, he is just trying to work so hard to show everyone his worth and it's meaning he is always a long way from goal and not being an effective offensive weapon.

Hopefully when Mascherano is back it will sure up the midfield so players like Keane don't need to track back so much and defend and he can focus on the end of the pitch he needs to.

I will be murdered for even attempting to post my thoughts but anyhooo..

Keane looked confused, the midfield seemed congested at times and he looked as if he didnt know if he was supposed to coming in off the right or the left or where in fact he was getting fed the ball from..

Keane will come good imo - he didnt score his first goal for Spurs until mid September last year - patience and all that..

Keane looked confused, the midfield seemed congested at times and he looked as if he didnt know if he was supposed to coming in off the right or the left or where in fact he was getting fed the ball from..

Keane will come good imo - he didnt score his first goal for Spurs until mid September last year - patience and all that..

I agree with that. I thought Keane worked really hard last night to put things right. The players look like they just haven't got used to him being in that role.

Agreed. He showed well for the ball, used it well and worked hard. It also looked like Benayoun was getting into similar positions to him.

Sometimes it is easier to have an impact from the bench than the start, especially against a fast, physical, athletic, committed team such as Standard Liege.

That said, Keane will come good (I expect him to score his forst goal/s and step up his performance level while Stevie is out).

Ultimately I think Stevie will come back and take Dirk's position and play on the right of the three in 4-2-3-1, though we'll have to wait and see.

El Zhar has done well and looks a busy and tricky player who is earning a future for himself here. I saw little need to retain Pennant, and now with the emergence of El Zhar, there is even less. Come in Blackburn, give us £5M!

Sometimes it is easier to have an impact from the bench than the start, especially against a fast, physical, athletic, committed team such as Standard Liege.

That said, Keane will come good (I expect him to score his forst goal/s and step up his performance level while Stevie is out).

Ultimately I think Stevie will come back and take Dirk's position and play on the right of the three in 4-2-3-1, though we'll have to wait and see.

El Zhar has done well and looks a busy and tricky player who is earning a future for himself here. I saw little need to retain Pennant, and now with the emergence of El Zhar, there is even less. Come in Blackburn, give us £5M!

Keane hasn't impressed so far, but I think he will be alright.

What concerns me more though, is that I dont think, he is going to be as impressive as Gerrard in that position. I was hoping, and some of the pre season stuff seemed to show it, that we's be looking at the 3 behind Torres, interchanging, and running riot with defences, as there movemnet created havoc.

My general impression so far though, is that Keane seems a little overawed. Can't fault his workrate, but last nights game seemed to pass him by.

I think once Mascherano is back then we'll see a different side, also a different Keane. We certainly need Gerrard back where he was last season, and that's just behind the strikers influencing the attacking play and binding everything together, not sitting infront of the defense.

The main issue so far for Keane as been that both our 'wide' players' natural instinct is to come inside, whether that be with the ball at their feet, or to look for the ball. That has left Keane (and Torres) with very little space to operate (the strikers cant even make a simple lay-off to the wide men cos there's been no-one out wide).

Hopefully with Mascher back plus Riera we will have more possibilities, no?

It has to be said

Could it not be that with El Zahr we get some width, whilst poor Keane have to play with Kuyt on the wing....

Watch the game from last night and see how Kuyt drifts into the center and thereby prevents the fullback's option to play to Keane or Torres.(bringing players into that excact gap) Not once all last night did Arbeloa pass the ball on the outside of the left back until El Zahr came on....

Kuyt and Benayoun congests the center making it harder for Keane and Torres.... Fact!!

I think once Mascherano is back then we'll see a different side, also a different Keane. We certainly need Gerrard back where he was last season, and that's just behind the strikers influencing the attacking play and binding everything together, not sitting infront of the defense.

The main issue so far for Keane as been that both our 'wide' players' natural instinct is to come inside, whether that be with the ball at their feet, or to look for the ball. That has left Keane (and Torres) with very little space to operate (the strikers cant even make a simple lay-off to the wide men cos there's been no-one out wide).

Hopefully with Mascher back plus Riera we will have more possibilities, no?

Correctamundo....

I hope you are right, but right now Kuyt seems the first name on the team sheet......

without wanting to piss on your chips or your agenda, robbie keane played the full game on saturday. so that'll be the last three games only counting the games you feel like.

I stand corrected

For your information I dont have an agenda as you so put it but its obvious weve looked a better team when El Zhar has come on but I think Bob might have hit the nail on the head on this one.

Only thing I would say is Kuyt has looked better as Torres partner but as everyone says its early days

Wrong forum.:D