You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

You hate it, but everyone else loves it.

Section_31

21 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Infinitely better than the Mantunna shite we used to have years back.

They used to make that at Gold Crown Foods in Wood Street. In the 80s if I went for a pint at The Swan during the day you would get the office types from Gold Crown in for a pint mixing with the bikers and rockers who went in regularly. Good times.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, redinblack said:

They used to make that at Gold Crown Foods in Wood Street. In the 80s if I went for a pint at The Swan during the day you would get the office types from Gold Crown in for a pint mixing with the bikers and rockers who went in regularly. Good times.

I knew it was made in Liverpool but that was about it.

27 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Is that place still going? A nephew of a mate is a Rock DJ and I'm sure he said that's where he plays, that was about 3 years ago though i used to go quite often around 1980 to about 1983.

12 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Is that place still going? A nephew of a mate is a Rock DJ and I'm sure he said that's where he plays, that was about 3 years ago though i used to go quite often around 1980 to about 1983.

Yes The Swan is still there, and pretty much as it was except the toilets arent quite as antediluvian as they were in the 80s

22 minutes ago, redinblack said:

Yes The Swan is still there, and pretty much as it was except the toilets arent quite as antediluvian as they were in the 80s

I think most toilets in my haunts in those days were pretty gruesome, I'll have to have a look in next time I'm up. 

Wasn't there one called the Fats Bar on the same street or maybe that was its nickname? 

14 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Not a fan of Tetley either.

PG Tips is okay but the best is Sainsburys red label teabags.

The ones my brother in law used to get from the NAAFI when he was in the army were the best ones for me. 

Strong as fuck they were. No idea of the brand though. 

Pity because they were spot on.

30 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

The ones my brother in law used to get from the NAAFI when he was in the army were the best ones for me. 

Strong as fuck they were. No idea of the brand though. 

Pity because they were spot on.

That's why we have the best soldiers! You can't go into battle without a strong cup of tea and some nice dunking biscuits.

2 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

That's why we have the best soldiers! You can't go into battle without a strong cup of tea and some nice dunking biscuits.

You could soak "biscuits brown" in a bath of petrol for a month and they still wouldn't crumble.

I'm fairly sure they're made out of asbestos. 

On 05/05/2022 at 13:35, Chris said:

Batman.

Scrolling though a heated teabag debate to see this gem made me howl. Perfect timing. 

Why though? I think he’s sound. 

On 05/05/2022 at 14:26, Section_31 said:

Music. Probably posted about it before but I've never been that arsed. Don't have a favourite band really, only been to gigs under extreme sufferance. The tracks I do have on my phone are somewhat eclectic, ranging from the Terminator 2 soundtrack to Johnny Cash, but all hand-picked from TV shows or films I like and where they've been backing tracks.

The Terminator 2 theme music is next level. I had it on the other day. De de Dede de. I’m gonna set an alarm on my phone and hide it to go off at about 4am, properly freak her out. Try and somehow get some little red lights to put on my eyes and slowly get up and stand over her in the dark. I wont do it but it’s a great idea. 

7 hours ago, redinblack said:

Ah, that will be the reason the wanky apartment building there is called the Tea Factory.

The Swan is still boss, though.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Ah, that will be the reason the wanky apartment building there is called the Tea Factory.

The Swan is still boss, though.

I lived in there for a couple of months a few years back. Wanky is a very good way to describe it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Marvel stuff and all superhero movies. SF, fantasy, Stephen King, and horror movies. Not even vaguely interested in any of them.

I like the old Hammer and Amicus horror films, I think they were done tongue in cheek, the slasher type stuff I'm not really arsed with.

7 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I like the old Hammer and Amicus horror films, I think they were done tongue in cheek, the slasher type stuff I'm not really arsed with.

I like those but I love the old Universal ones with Lugosi, Karloff and Chaney.

I'm not keen on the modern slasher type stuff like for example Saw or Hostel either. They're too fucked up for my taste.

Vinegar. Can't be in the same room with anyone using it, either to cook with or to splash on their meal. The stink of it around Anfield on match day, with the chippies and street vendors feeding the starving masses, is nauseating. Pubs serving meals are no go areas: The Railway on Tithebarn Street and The Post Office in School Lane have had me leaving a pint on more than one occasion. . I even step away from anybody munching on salt and vinegar crisps.

I know that I am in a very small minority but, for me, vinegar is truly the devil's piss.

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Slasher movies, just glorification of violence often against women. I think they should be banned. 

I don't like horror films myself but suggesting banning them is ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, torahboy said:

Vinegar. Can't be in the same room with anyone using it, either to cook with or to splash on their meal. The stink of it around Anfield on match day, with the chippies and street vendors feeding the starving masses, is nauseating. Pubs serving meals are no go areas: The Railway on Tithebarn Street and The Post Office in School Lane have had me leaving a pint on more than one occasion. . I even step away from anybody munching on salt and vinegar crisps.

I know that I am in a very small minority but, for me, vinegar is truly the devil's piss.

That's fucking nuts. 

37 minutes ago, torahboy said:

What about Andys mate, the Belfast lad who lives in Thailand, he puts vinegar on his full English breakfast for fucksake. 

Ive got to say the Post Office is a decent little pub and hopefully I'll be calling in at the end of June. 

It would of been alright in The Globe a few days ago as Paul Heaton of The Beautiful South but a good few bob behind the bar for bevvies on him.