You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Todays matches

James Dean

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan Smith - currently on Sky - has his own bizarre syntax. He can't just say, 'Portsmouth are struggling,' he has to say, 'They're struggling here, Portsmouth'. I wonder if he talks like that all the time.

If it was steve mclaren it would e porthsmouth massive underdogsh struggling here.

Can;t decide if Chelsea are playing well or Pompey are just looking absolute shite

It'll be United and Chelsea all the way again this year and there's no point anyone else bothering. That's where the problem lies as most don't, which is why they get strolls in the park like today. They're beaten before they start.

Can;t decide if Chelsea are playing well or Pompey are just looking absolute shite

A healthy combination of the two.

Chelsea are looking great going forward but Portsmouth have defended like a sunday league team. Conversely, we haven't seen Chelsea's defence tested. Get at that Boswinga. He may be great going forward but he can't defend to save his life, belive you and me.

Chelsea are looking great going forward but Portsmouth have defended like a sunday league team. Conversely, we haven't seen Chelsea's defence tested. Get at that Boswinga. He may be great going forward but he can't defend to save his life, belive you and me.

Agreed. Cashley Cole on the other side isn't great defensively either.

Champ man asside I haven't seen much of Boswinga, he looked good going forward in the Euros like.

Is the Villa/City match on anywhere? Seems strange to have a 3pm kick off on a sunday in the middle of 2 televised games

However well Chelsea play they will have the same as us at the end of just 1 game and that is 3 points.

Should we hand Chelsea the title now because they have played well for 45 minutes no should we fuck.

We have probably the best defensive midfielder to return to the squad in Mascherano who will in turn allow us to push Gerrard into a more attacking role which he is now more suited to and we have Babel, an extremely talented prosect who will suddenly make us far more of a threat on either side he plays in.

The title is decided after 38 games not 1.

Why do you need defenders who can defend when you spend 90% of your time in the opposition's half?

Even assuming the opposition manages a rare foray forward, it's not mandatory to try and win every game to nil. Certain managers would do well to bear that in mind.

Why do you need defenders who can defend when you spend 90% of your time in the opposition's half?

Even assuming the opposition manages a rare foray forward, it's not mandatory to try and win every game to nil. Certain managers would do well to bear that in mind.

No, you're quite right. I am merely suggesting that Boswinga is a weak link for Chelsea. After watching Brazil and Portugal bore their way through a couple of international tournaments under Scolari I expect they will find themselves doing a lot of defending some games. And if they do that then Boswinga is the man to look to exploit.

pompey have been very poor defensively and have struggled in midfield you also have the "chelsea at home" factor they're first to every ball and pompey look like they have given up long ago

i wouldn't get carried away even though they look impressive, let them hype themselves up

No, you're quite right. I am merely suggesting that Boswinga is a weak link for Chelsea. After watching Brazil and Portugal bore their way through a couple of international tournaments under Scolari I expect they will find themselves doing a lot of defending some games. And if they do that then Boswinga is the man to look to exploit.

Bosingwa is better defensively than A.Cole.

Chelsea look really, really good. It's only the first game and means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but it's better to start off in a very positive way as they have done so far.

We could look like that if we had a couple of players out wide to rival theirs. We're stronger than them through the middle.

It is the footballing equivalent of saying Stalin was better than Hitler...

Although I personally think Ashley Cole is a good full back. People just lose sight of it because he's a cunt.

:D

Maybe.

I have seen a bit of Bosingwa though and he has always impressed me.

The difference between us and Chelsea though is that even if both managers build their game on a solid defensive foundation, one manager is willing to let the attacking players be exactly that while the other puts too much emphasis on their ability to be defenders instead of attackers.

I dont think we have got the balance right at all and the players we seem to be interested in suggest to me we never will get it either when it comes to a league challenge.