You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Athletics Thread

kelster

2 hours ago, sir roger said:

KJT going down the Radacanu route of constant trainer changes. Get the horrible feeling that the gold in the Worlds will be the best we ever see of her. Hope not.

Kat's been desparately unlucky with injuries too. You wonder whether insecurities about getting the next injury has lead her to change coaches a little too often?

• Upvote 1

Grant Holloway might just be the finest athletic specimen on the planet. 

World record holder in the 60m hurdles, 0.01 shy of Colin Jackson's 110m hurdles record, sub 45 for 400 metres and a brilliant long jumper too. Ridiculous range.

5 minutes ago, Em City said:

Grant Holloway might just be the finest athletic specimen on the planet. 

World record holder in the 60m hurdles, 0.01 shy of Colin Jackson's 110m hurdles record, sub 45 for 400 metres and a brilliant long jumper too. Ridiculous range.

Its Aries Merrit isn't it?

I would still go with Yuliya Levchenko...

14 minutes ago, John102 said:

Its Aries Merrit isn't it?

I would still go with Yuliya Levchenko...

Yes, you're right. Good memory, I had forgot he set it in London 2012. Best Olympics ever.

I'm a Mahuchikh man myself.

2061e5d1-c16e-42e4-b902-387c8568f685_81ee6037.jpg

7 hours ago, sir roger said:

Athletics has always seemed to be a long way behind the big 3 in the US, and now soccer has pushed past as well I assume.

You're probably right. I think the stadium only holds about 12k and it wasn't filled for the 100m final, when USA could have realistically expected a 1-2-3.

KJT starting her defence looking like she was running through treacle. Thiam on the other hand looking superb.

KJT managed to complete the heptathlon and came in 6th. Hopefully helped her fitness for the Commonwealths in a few weeks. A snapped achilles tendon is a bugger of a thing, particularly for an heptathlete who is at her best in the more explosive events.

7 hours ago, John102 said:

Fantastic 1500m final and brilliant performance by Muir to get a bronze. I worried how she was going to do when the 4 of them broke away so early but she was brilliant.

Brilliant piece of running by Muir. This girl doesnt seem to get the credit she deserves as the UK's best middle distance runner.

3 hours ago, sir roger said:

KJT managed to complete the heptathlon and came in 6th. Hopefully helped her fitness for the Commonwealths in a few weeks. A snapped achilles tendon is a bugger of a thing, particularly for an heptathlete who is at her best in the more explosive events.

Fingers crossed, Roger. Kat's had rotten luck with injuries especially these last couple of years.

• Upvote 1

Massive surprise as has been said. Also happy that Kerr didnt medal, as i find his brashness annoying.

Dos Santos was great too, would have been great to see Warholm healthy and see what they could have done together. Performance of the night was probably Jackson for me in the 200m who i thought was amazing. Again, will be great to see what her and Pryce can do in the final.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Em City said:

Jake Wightman beat Jakob Ingebrigtsen in the 1,500 metres, Britain's first gold in that event since Steve Cram won it at the inaugural championships in 1983.

Was a fantastic run. Ingebritsen looked good going into the last 400m but started to wobble at the end of the back straight. Wightman just blew him away on the final bend.

1 hour ago, John102 said:

Massive surprise as has been said. Also happy that Kerr didnt medal, as i find his brashness annoying.

Dos Santos was great too, would have been great to see Warholm healthy and see what they could have done together. Performance of the night was probably Jackson for me in the 200m who i thought was amazing. Again, will be great to see what her and Pryce can do in the final.

I thought Dos Santos would win. He's been in great form all year and looked great in the previous rounds. 

He's still very young as well, could be a world record holder in the making.

26 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Sydney McLaughlin has to be one of the finest (and best athletes) at the games.

x4gmqhtnlnb71.jpg

Incredible athlete and gorgeous but she's a proper jesus freak.

Dina Asher-Smith is proper wife material.