You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Is anybody even the least bit interested in the Avatar sequels, especially with so long between the first and second films?

I found the first one instantly forgettable.

I predict these will be colossal flops.

Like you said, there was nothing special about the first one in terms of the story. The only reason it made so much money was the then-novel effects. Unless they have some revolutionary tech they're going to use to make the rest of them then there's no way they make back the enormous budgets, especially if theatre attendance is down significantly.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Anubis said:

Actually the chat shit bit was unnecessarily harsh and I apologise. What I should have said was that I think taking one scene out of awhile film is not the best way to judge it. It may well turn out to be crap, but I’m willing to give it a chance.

I'm much more looking forward to Dune of all the forthcoming films. Can't wait.

50 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Yep, true. That said, it looks movie quality. 

Cinema is in trouble. People are getting bigger and better tellies, speakers, more choice through streaming providers. I love the pictures and will always go, but a lot of people won't bother. 

• Upvote 2

On 27/08/2020 at 19:38, johnsusername said:

Cinema is in trouble. People are getting bigger and better tellies, speakers, more choice through streaming providers. I love the pictures and will always go, but a lot of people won't bother. 

It doesn't help when it costs £12 to watch the film and almost as much again to buy popcorn and a drink loaded with ice. 

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

To be fair that looks the shit. It’ll be great. It they’re always spoiled by there not being any real jeopardy. You know he’ll survive and won on the end so it eliminates the tension. Although I did say the same thing about Avengers and was left with egg on my face so who knows.

2 hours ago, Juniper said:

One of the greatest books seems to have a pretty decent modern adaptation. 

Cant wait for Dune.

I enjoyed the Lynch version, incomprehensible like, but looked great.

My only reservation about the new one is that it's directed by fucking Villeneuve. I take it it won't be compressed into a single movie? It'd be really hard to do justice to the novel, especially with Villeneuve's windbag tendencies.

17 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I enjoyed the Lynch version, incomprehensible like, but looked great.

My only reservation about the new one is that it's directed by fucking Villeneuve. I take it it won't be compressed into a single movie? It'd be really hard to do justice to the novel, especially with Villeneuve's windbag tendencies.

Apparently Villeneuve is directing the movie and also 'overseeing' (exec-producing?) an HBO funded TV mini series to go alongside it. Interesting approach.

His quoted as saying "I would not agree to make this adaptation of the book with one single movie. The world is too complex. It's a world that takes it's power in details."

Just now, Fluter in Dakota said:

Apparently Villeneuve is directing the movie and also 'overseeing' (exec-producing?) an HBO funded TV mini series to go alongside it. Interesting approach.

Weird. Wasn't there a TV series not so long ago? I'm sure I remember watching it and sighing as it was a bit naff.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Weird. Wasn't there a TV series not so long ago? I'm sure I remember watching it and sighing as it was a bit naff.

The TV show is apparently a prequel to try and lay the foundations for the story/world. There might even be a second film as it's being described as a 'two-part film'.

6 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

The TV show is apparently a prequel to try and lay the foundations for the story/world. There might even be a second film as it's being described as a 'two-part film'.

Yeah, I was just reading the Wikipedia entry- seems it's going to be like the recent It adaptation, although this is a bit alarming- 

it is the first of a planned two-part adaptation of the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert, which will cover roughly the first half of the book.

So a four film series, or is the first film half the book? If the former, they really should have done a TV series, it'd be well suited to a ten episode series. 

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, I was just reading the Wikipedia entry- seems it's going to be like the recent It adaptation, although this is a bit alarming- 

So a four film series, or is the first film half the book? If the former, they really should have done a TV series, it'd be well suited to a ten episode series. 

It's a bit vague that sentence, I would assume the first part is the first half of the book.

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

it is the first of a planned two-part adaptation of the 1965 novel of the same name by Frank Herbert, which will cover roughly the first half of the book.

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Anyway, we'll see. After suffering through Sicario, Prisoners, Bladerunner 2049 and Arrival, it'd be relief to get a really good film out of Villeneuve, especially as I love the book.

I really enjoyed blade runner, prisoners and arrival. I know they split audiences though.  Not sure I've seen Sicario.

I've not read Dune or seen the movie. But that trailer looks spectacular.

1 minute ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I really enjoyed blade runner, prisoners and arrival. I know they split audiences though.  Not sure I've seen Sicario.

I've not read Dune or seen the movie. But that trailer looks spectacular.

Well worth a read before it comes out. It's only 400 pages or so, but packs as much depth into its universe as Tolkien. 

• 2 weeks later...