You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's being a bellend with the accent thing. But I think it's ace he's got off his arse and gone abroad, he could of sat at home waiting for the Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan etc merry go round to start and got on that but he got out of his comfort zone and actually landed himself a decent job.

They apparently idolise him out there, and he was a strong candidate for the Ajax job.

I agree with that. There's not many British Managers who'd have the bottle to go abroad.

The accent thing is just him trying his best to be understood and fit in.

Yeah I thought the same, even if I cringed and was baffled for a time after checking out that clip of him. (and laughed a shitload. I played that clip a lot for at least a couple of days for the fun.) As far as I know him speaking like that actually made it a lot easier for the Dutch to understand him. Any Dutch around that can confirm/deny that?

And fuck, he must have been gutted with that late goal by Sporting, and his team. Cruel way to be deprived of going further in the CL, and maybe they'll take that frustration out in the Dutch league and it'll pay off.

Yeah I thought the same, even if I cringed and was baffled for a time after checking out that clip of him. (and laughed a shitload. I played that clip a lot for at least a couple of days for the fun.) As far as I know him speaking like that actually made it a lot easier for the Dutch to understand him. Any Dutch around that can confirm/deny that?

And fuck, he must have been gutted with that late goal by Sporting, and his team. Cruel way to be deprived of going further in the CL, and maybe they'll take that frustration out in the Dutch league and it'll pay off.

Don't be RIDICULOUSH!

Are you telling me that when you meet a French person you start talking like someone off 'Allo 'Allo???

Edited by ReddOrDedd

Fuck it, I've had enough with everyone at the club and would like to see them all sacked. My suggestion would be to bring in Ken Bates and Steve McClaren.

Granted we may get relegated down to the Conference but at least we would never be short of a few laughs. Imagine Steve and his Hybrid Dutch/Scouse/Geordie accent, you be laughing for days. Also let's not forget cuddly Ken and his stories about his Ma's tits and the Mangle.

Now that was hilarious. I used to have a screen grab that I took of that story from their website but I lost it in the great hard-drive crash of December 2008.

I change my accent when I'm speaking to people from countries where English isn't there first language. It's natural I think, same as when you talk to a 5 year old you infantilise every word and speak like a total dick.

Though nowhere as bad as Schteve.

He actually did an interview not long back for either BBC or Sky and he sounded as English as ever so it's just him adjusting.

• 8 months later...

Fair play to him. They've done well to win that league. Ajax won their last 14 league games this season and they still didn't wint it. They also had a goal difference of +86 which is very impressive. McClaren done well to see of that challenge.

Not that i'd ever want him as our Manager, I think McLaren has shoved a few of the criticisms of him from the press back in their faces.

Hopefully he will have impressed the Glazers sufficiently enough for them to make him united manager.......soon.

God help us we're going to end up with him in charge. After 11 years with French and Spanish management we're going to go back to British. Hodgson will turn us down, as will O' Neill and we're going to end up with Mary Poppins

Congratulations to McClaren. He's taken a fair lot of stick from all hands over the last few years, but he's proved he's a good manager.

I can't wait for his first press conference as manager of Liverpool FC:

"Alright der lid. Me and Stevie G are sound as a pound. "

if there is anything Liverpool loves, it's people who the rest of England hates. One of the reasons why Crouch was let off for not scoring is because the whole of England where a bunch of horrible cock goblins.

In a weird way, McClaren would 'sort of' fit in, I'm not saying he should be our manager. But I think he would get universal support, mainly because everyone hates him.

FWIW He's not as bad as people make out.

It will be good for him if what Robbie said is true. He's taken that team as far as he can now I think and if he continues to stay abroad for the next few years and takes a good job such as Hamburg, in a few years time I would consider him as our manager. He would have foreign league experience and it would make him better tactically.

Hopefully Mclaren being a success in a foreign league will mean that other managers will leave England to become better.

It will be good for him if what Robbie said is true. He's taken that team as far as he can now I think and if he continues to stay abroad for the next few years and takes a good job such as Hamburg, in a few years time I would consider him as our manager. He would have foreign league experience and it would make him better tactically.

Hopefully Mclaren being a success in a foreign league will mean that other managers will leave England to become better.

No they wont. If the likes of O'Neill and Allarydyce went abroad they would fail miserably. They are so tactically inept and they wouldnt get such a cushy ride off the press abroad like they do over here.

Fair play to him. A cracking achievement that.

It's a gripe of mine that British managers don't seem to go abroad for work, so I kind of develop a degree of respect for anybody who makes an effort to learn a new language and embrace a different footballing culture.

If/ when he does come back to England, I can see him being a far better manager than when he was at Middlesbrough and managing the national side. In my opinion, Hodgson is the best English manager around at the minute and I don't think it's a coincidence that he's worked abroad for a number of years.