Jump to content

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I heard Oliver Stone make a point on a podcast which I found interesting, that America has an odd understanding and relationship with war because they've never had to fight on their own shores. Everything is at massive arm's length, always has been. 

They've had a few but I see your point.

 

It's an immense, magnificent place full of wonder, beauty, craziness and absolute fucking lunacy. I've said it before on here but Americans must watch their Hollywood movies with the same nonchalance that we used to watch The Bill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I heard Oliver Stone make a point on a podcast which I found interesting, that America has an odd understanding and relationship with war because they've never had to fight on their own shores. Everything is at massive arm's length, always has been. 

Revolutionary War ?

War of 1812 ?

American Civil War ?

Pearl Harbour ?

Japanese occupation of Alaska ? (bit of a reach)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair Orson Welles managed to make them think they were being invaded by martians.

Yeah that isn't just Americans who are gullible. My ex thought the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds was 'based on a true story'. She was from Portsmouth to be fair.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother in law lives in Carlsbad, been over there quite a few times. San Diego is one of the better US cities for wandering about and California seems like one of the more sensible States but it all leaves me a bit flat. Its not a reflection on the area but rather me not really liking the way of life in America. Next time we're due to go over we're going to try meet them in Montana or somewhere like that with great scenery.

 

The estate he lives on (off Camino De Amigos) is nice enough and is a typical suburban area. The thing that does my nut in to this day is they are not allowed to hang their washing out in their back garden. So, in a fantastic climate in a supposedly right on part of the country they have to dry their clothes in a tumble drier even though it might be 24 outside.

 

He has a good standard of living, is happy and would never consider coming back, so that's all that matters really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair Orson Welles managed to make them think they were being invaded by martians.


My uncle had a saying - “Shoot ‘em all and let God sort them out”

 

Unfortunately one day he put his theory into practice, it took 75 Federal Marshalls to track him down, now let’s never speak of him again.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Good point - probably safer now than it was then - at least on the CA side. Last time I was there IB had been built up bigly.

Can only imagine what those places are worth today.

I've never been down there. Is it not safe in Tijuana? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A Red said:

My brother in law lives in Carlsbad, been over there quite a few times. San Diego is one of the better US cities for wandering about and California seems like one of the more sensible States but it all leaves me a bit flat. Its not a reflection on the area but rather me not really liking the way of life in America. Next time we're due to go over we're going to try meet them in Montana or somewhere like that with great scenery.

 

The estate he lives on (off Camino De Amigos) is nice enough and is a typical suburban area. The thing that does my nut in to this day is they are not allowed to hang their washing out in their back garden. So, in a fantastic climate in a supposedly right on part of the country they have to dry their clothes in a tumble drier even though it might be 24 outside.

 

He has a good standard of living, is happy and would never consider coming back, so that's all that matters really.

Got a cousin who lives in Santa Maria,California and met her for the first time in about 20 plus years a few weeks back as she was touring Europe with a friend. Speaking to her it was evident we shared very similar politics(she was born here but left as a very young girl and is now 70) but a lot of her extended family are not on a wavelength we'd be able to tune in to! My own opinion is that she has spent most of her life travelling as her Dad was in the US Air Force when he met my Dad's sister way back in the 50s,and her family have generally never left the USA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

So I see they can fuck around with the constitution when it suits them.

We can fuck around with womens rights but don’t you dare touch the guns, seems to be the order of the day. What a fucked up country where the justice system is now ruled by the political parties. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DJLJ said:

We can fuck around with womens rights but don’t you dare touch the guns, seems to be the order of the day. What a fucked up country where the justice system is now ruled by the political parties. 

Coming soon to a rainy little island near us.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The right in both countries hold considerably more influence and sway than their actual numbers justify. Progressives, the left, whatever you want to call it, needs to start fighting fire with fire before it's too late. It's time to stop taking hummus to a gunfight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Coming soon to a rainy little island near us.


Rees-Mogg legitimately said he was against abortion in all forms in a interview about a month back.

 

’As a right thinking Christian man…’

 

They’ll be more like it soon, I’m sure.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The right in both countries hold considerably more influence and sway than their actual numbers justify. Progressives, the left, whatever you want to call it, needs to start fighting fire with fire before it's too late. It's time to stop taking hummus to a gunfight.

But you cannot when rich,right wing,mainly white men,own the media. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I don't believe in killing children" is a strong albeit simplistic message that attracts the nutters. I can imagine trying to argue with them would soon end up with you listening to shouts of "baby murderer!" 

 

Not too different to trying to argue with another set of lunatics we all know 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:


Rees-Mogg legitimately said he was against abortion in all forms in a interview about a month back.

 

’As a right thinking Christian man…’

 

They’ll be more like it soon, I’m sure.

Yeah, I think the big issue here is outside of some pockets related to Northern Irish politics, barely a sole gives a fuck about religion in this country. I'm not saying people go to church etc, but I think the days of the church being 1st are way gone. The right lunatics from ukip world are definitely not like that. I honestly hope the right of the Tories does start ramping up that rhetoric as they'll be squashed very quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I think the big issue here is outside of some pockets related to Northern Irish politics, barely a sole gives a fuck about religion in this country. I'm not saying people go to church etc, but I think the days of the church being 1st omare way gone. The right lunatics from ukip world are definitely not like that. I honestly hope the right of the Tories does start ramping up that rhetoric as they'll be squashed very quickly. 

Its not just the Presbyterian nutjobs and their like that go in for stuff like this, Rees Mogg is a Roman Catholic. Hopefully you're right, this shit will never take off here.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I think the big issue here is outside of some pockets related to Northern Irish politics, barely a sole gives a fuck about religion in this country. I'm not saying people go to church etc, but I think the days of the church being 1st are way gone. The right lunatics from ukip world are definitely not like that. I honestly hope the right of the Tories does start ramping up that rhetoric as they'll be squashed very quickly. 


I’d agree with that, but it’s interesting that far right fringe groups, both here and globally, lean in to it and use its imagery in material and the Tories, including Johnson numerous times, have been keen to use ‘Christian values’ in reaction to legitimate criticism and to appeal to the old guard and loons.

 

The ’I’m a god fearing Englishman and proud’ nonsense despite not believing, more just reimagining an antiquated version of Blighty that only ever existed in deranged minds, is most likely what it is, but it’s use has been more dogwhistle of late, but it has been there.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

"Christian values" are not really "religious", I don't think.

They are about being nice to each other, loving one another, turning the other cheek etc...

The sort of thing Christ supposedly taught - He doesn't appear to have been particularly intolerant or unaccepting, from what little we know.

 

He seemed generally the opposite of what most politicians espousing "Christian values" are.

The Christian religion bit was made up by agitators at least 100 years after Chris was gone - and by the time it was properly "codified" by Constantine, it had turned into pure politics.

 

As it has remained and continued - along with all other religion - to this very day.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The unborn” are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus, but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn.
Methodist Pastor David Barnhart
 
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×