You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

36 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I heard Oliver Stone make a point on a podcast which I found interesting, that America has an odd understanding and relationship with war because they've never had to fight on their own shores. Everything is at massive arm's length, always has been. 

They've had a few but I see your point.

It's an immense, magnificent place full of wonder, beauty, craziness and absolute fucking lunacy. I've said it before on here but Americans must watch their Hollywood movies with the same nonchalance that we used to watch The Bill. 

36 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I heard Oliver Stone make a point on a podcast which I found interesting, that America has an odd understanding and relationship with war because they've never had to fight on their own shores. Everything is at massive arm's length, always has been. 

Revolutionary War ?

War of 1812 ?

American Civil War ?

Pearl Harbour ?

Japanese occupation of Alaska ? (bit of a reach)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair Orson Welles managed to make them think they were being invaded by martians.

Yeah that isn't just Americans who are gullible. My ex thought the Tom Cruise version of War of the Worlds was 'based on a true story'. She was from Portsmouth to be fair.... 

My brother in law lives in Carlsbad, been over there quite a few times. San Diego is one of the better US cities for wandering about and California seems like one of the more sensible States but it all leaves me a bit flat. Its not a reflection on the area but rather me not really liking the way of life in America. Next time we're due to go over we're going to try meet them in Montana or somewhere like that with great scenery.

The estate he lives on (off Camino De Amigos) is nice enough and is a typical suburban area. The thing that does my nut in to this day is they are not allowed to hang their washing out in their back garden. So, in a fantastic climate in a supposedly right on part of the country they have to dry their clothes in a tumble drier even though it might be 24 outside.

He has a good standard of living, is happy and would never consider coming back, so that's all that matters really.

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

To be fair Orson Welles managed to make them think they were being invaded by martians.

My uncle had a saying - “Shoot ‘em all and let God sort them out”

Unfortunately one day he put his theory into practice, it took 75 Federal Marshalls to track him down, now let’s never speak of him again.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, A Red said:

My brother in law lives in Carlsbad, been over there quite a few times. San Diego is one of the better US cities for wandering about and California seems like one of the more sensible States but it all leaves me a bit flat. Its not a reflection on the area but rather me not really liking the way of life in America. Next time we're due to go over we're going to try meet them in Montana or somewhere like that with great scenery.

The estate he lives on (off Camino De Amigos) is nice enough and is a typical suburban area. The thing that does my nut in to this day is they are not allowed to hang their washing out in their back garden. So, in a fantastic climate in a supposedly right on part of the country they have to dry their clothes in a tumble drier even though it might be 24 outside.

He has a good standard of living, is happy and would never consider coming back, so that's all that matters really.

Got a cousin who lives in Santa Maria,California and met her for the first time in about 20 plus years a few weeks back as she was touring Europe with a friend. Speaking to her it was evident we shared very similar politics(she was born here but left as a very young girl and is now 70) but a lot of her extended family are not on a wavelength we'd be able to tune in to! My own opinion is that she has spent most of her life travelling as her Dad was in the US Air Force when he met my Dad's sister way back in the 50s,and her family have generally never left the USA. 

8 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

So I see they can fuck around with the constitution when it suits them.

We can fuck around with womens rights but don’t you dare touch the guns, seems to be the order of the day. What a fucked up country where the justice system is now ruled by the political parties. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DJLJ said:

We can fuck around with womens rights but don’t you dare touch the guns, seems to be the order of the day. What a fucked up country where the justice system is now ruled by the political parties. 

Coming soon to a rainy little island near us.

• Upvote 2

The right in both countries hold considerably more influence and sway than their actual numbers justify. Progressives, the left, whatever you want to call it, needs to start fighting fire with fire before it's too late. It's time to stop taking hummus to a gunfight.

5 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Coming soon to a rainy little island near us.

Rees-Mogg legitimately said he was against abortion in all forms in a interview about a month back.

’As a right thinking Christian man…’

They’ll be more like it soon, I’m sure.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The right in both countries hold considerably more influence and sway than their actual numbers justify. Progressives, the left, whatever you want to call it, needs to start fighting fire with fire before it's too late. It's time to stop taking hummus to a gunfight.

But you cannot when rich,right wing,mainly white men,own the media. 

• Upvote 1

"I don't believe in killing children" is a strong albeit simplistic message that attracts the nutters. I can imagine trying to argue with them would soon end up with you listening to shouts of "baby murderer!" 

Not too different to trying to argue with another set of lunatics we all know 

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Rees-Mogg legitimately said he was against abortion in all forms in a interview about a month back.

’As a right thinking Christian man…’

They’ll be more like it soon, I’m sure.

Yeah, I think the big issue here is outside of some pockets related to Northern Irish politics, barely a sole gives a fuck about religion in this country. I'm not saying people go to church etc, but I think the days of the church being 1st are way gone. The right lunatics from ukip world are definitely not like that. I honestly hope the right of the Tories does start ramping up that rhetoric as they'll be squashed very quickly. 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I think the big issue here is outside of some pockets related to Northern Irish politics, barely a sole gives a fuck about religion in this country. I'm not saying people go to church etc, but I think the days of the church being 1st omare way gone. The right lunatics from ukip world are definitely not like that. I honestly hope the right of the Tories does start ramping up that rhetoric as they'll be squashed very quickly. 

Its not just the Presbyterian nutjobs and their like that go in for stuff like this, Rees Mogg is a Roman Catholic. Hopefully you're right, this shit will never take off here.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, I think the big issue here is outside of some pockets related to Northern Irish politics, barely a sole gives a fuck about religion in this country. I'm not saying people go to church etc, but I think the days of the church being 1st are way gone. The right lunatics from ukip world are definitely not like that. I honestly hope the right of the Tories does start ramping up that rhetoric as they'll be squashed very quickly. 

I’d agree with that, but it’s interesting that far right fringe groups, both here and globally, lean in to it and use its imagery in material and the Tories, including Johnson numerous times, have been keen to use ‘Christian values’ in reaction to legitimate criticism and to appeal to the old guard and loons.

The ’I’m a god fearing Englishman and proud’ nonsense despite not believing, more just reimagining an antiquated version of Blighty that only ever existed in deranged minds, is most likely what it is, but it’s use has been more dogwhistle of late, but it has been there.

"Christian values" are not really "religious", I don't think.

They are about being nice to each other, loving one another, turning the other cheek etc...

The sort of thing Christ supposedly taught - He doesn't appear to have been particularly intolerant or unaccepting, from what little we know.

He seemed generally the opposite of what most politicians espousing "Christian values" are.

The Christian religion bit was made up by agitators at least 100 years after Chris was gone - and by the time it was properly "codified" by Constantine, it had turned into pure politics.

As it has remained and continued - along with all other religion - to this very day.

• Upvote 1

The unborn” are a convenient group of people to advocate for. They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don’t resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don’t ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don’t need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don’t bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus, but actually dislike people who breathe. Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn.
Methodist Pastor David Barnhart

• Upvote 2