You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thought we could do with a thread listing cool/amusing/useful apps for the iPhone.

Everyone probably has the obvious ones (PhoneSaber etc) but this is the bollocks: iDrum (drum sequencer). Its use of the touch screen is just superb, and its got surprising depth. Just go to the App Store icon on the phone to find it.

gthWJ5T3rag

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Scummvm (lucasArts point and ckick emu), iXboxLive (see who of your friends are online) and MxTube (Download Youtube clips to your phone to view at your pleasure.

Admittedly these are all Jailbreak apps, but possibly the sole reason why I can't move on to 2.0 or 2.01 - they just get used waaay too much.

Special mention to the apps that allow local file browsing (for custom bookmarks - html) and saving mp3s.

Not an app, but something that works on all iphones and ipod Touch via browser is the amazing BBC iPlayer - absolutely amazing!

• 4 months later...

OK, had my iphone for a day and the apps that I am enjoying already (all FREE ones) are:

SpeedTest - useful to check your connection speed

Where - great prog that uses gps

WiFinder - a nice prog to find wireless networks to hop on to

Shoutcast - very cool, some nice radio stations

QuickVoice - use it as a dictaphone

Lasf.fm (as mentioned)

Nightstand - a pretty decent digital clock

Translator - Works very well.

Im very muchly considering getting an ipod touch because I cant afford an iphone, is it worth getting the 3g one over the 1st gen? And do the apps take up much space? Like, would I need atleast the 16gb? Ive seen some very very cheap 1st gen 8gb ones on ebay so wondered if they were truely crap compared to the newer bigger ones.

The apps are mostly very small. I bought it purely for the 3G and went for the 8gb as that is plenty to spend on a phone.

The other apps that I am finding useful are:

Multiconvert - converts all kinds of units (e.g. lb to KG etc etc, you name it)

iChess

IM lite - MSN

Backgrounds - A nice background selection

RK Free- Tracks the distance you have ran via GPS

ishoot lite - a poor mans worms