You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not seen AC/DC live, I love getting the Bon Scott stuff out on dvd when I'm pished though.

I'm half cut so I'll just do a top 5, which might change tomorrow...

1) Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

2) Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra

3) Velociraptor - Kasabian

4) White Album - The Beatles

5) A Love Supreme - John Coltrane

Doing a top 5 is a nightmare.

I knew it.

• Upvote 3

Have you seen them live mate? I saw them in Birmingham on the black ice tour. Unreal.

Whats your top 5 british, and then world. Genuinely interested how close to the top oasis will be in both of your lists.

Seen them in Dublin on that tour too. Almost blew the roof off the place. Fucking unreal. I was knackered leaving that concert. Whole place was like a mosh pit from start to finish.

Every band in the last 50 years has got their inspiration from others. They don't sound just like Slade, or The Beatles for that matter. It's a nonsense. You could equally say the Stone Roses ripped off a lot from the Smiths.

Here's musical innovators Radiohead ripping off the Beatles for one of their biggest hits. Never seems to be an issue with them, though.

The only things that The Smiths and The Roses have in common is they are both from Manchester and have a vocals/guitar/bass/drums line up. Musically they are very dissimilar. As much as i love The Roses they are hardly an original sound, whereas The Smiths sounded like nobody before them.

Also, in regards to that Radiohead comparison, in my opinion Karma Police sounds very little like Sexy Sadie. A better "Radiohead rip off" would be Creep and The Air That i Breathe by The Hollies, who i think they ended up giving a co-writing credit to. 

Not seen AC/DC live, I love getting the Bon Scott stuff out on dvd when I'm pished though.

I'm half cut so I'll just do a top 5, which might change tomorrow...

1) Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

2) Birds of Fire - Mahavishnu Orchestra

3) Red - King Crimson

4) White Album - The Beatles

5) A Love Supreme - John Coltrane

Doing a top 5 is a nightmare.

The White Album is 80% genius and 20% garbage. That's the sole reason why it wouldn't be my favourite Beatles album. I'd say Physical Graffiti is similar.

I tend to have a bit of a problem with double albums, i cannot think of one that wouldn't have been better with a bit of editing down to a single disc. 

The only things that The Smiths and The Roses have in common is they are both from Manchester and have a vocals/guitar/bass/drums line up. Musically they are very dissimilar. As much as i love The Roses they are hardly an original sound, whereas The Smiths sounded like nobody before them.

Also, in regards to that Radiohead comparison, in my opinion Karma Police sounds very little like Sexy Sadie. A better "Radiohead rip off" would be Creep and The Air That i Breathe by The Hollies, who i think they ended up giving a co-writing credit to.

I think I disagree with just about everything you've wrote there mate, except for the fact that Radiohead have ripped off other bands as well. Whether the Smiths sounded like anyone before them has nothing to do with what I've said, I've read Ian Brown and John Squire both saying they are influenced by them and I think you can hear it in the music.

Karma Polis has clearly robbed the chords from Sexy Sadie as well. I don't know how you could think otherwise to be honest. I'm pretty sure I've heard Noel Gallagher mention it before, it even says it on their own Wikipedia page for the song.

I did say in my opinion it doesn't sound like Sexy Sadie. If you think it does, then sound. 

I definitely cannot hear The Smiths in The Stone Roses music. Again, my opinion. The Roses were a goth band in the mid 80's, then in 88 magically embraced a combination of West Coast psychedelia, The Beatles and funk.  

I couldn't put mine in order but my top ten would be something like..

The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
Station or Station - David Bowie
Suede - Suede
Gang of Four - Entertainment
Pink Flag - Wire
Kid A - Radiohead
Searching for the Young Soul Rebels - Dexyys Midnight Runners
Common People - Pulp
Mclusky Do Dallas - Mclusky
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Magical Mystery Tour is my favourite from the Beatles and would be on there over Mclusky but as it wasn't released as an album over here I decided to leave it out.

Beatles - White Album

The Clash - London Calling

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

The Verve - Urban Hymns

Pink Floyd - Piper at the gates of dawn

The La's - The La's

Rolling Stones - Exile on main Street

David Bowie - The rise and fall of Ziggy Stardust

Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

PJ Harvey - Songs from the city. songs from the sea

• Upvote 1

Much prefer the Roses to Oasis myself, but to me they're from two different eras. Definitely wouldn't downplay the contribution of either.

The way I always see it, The Stone Roses were kind of the last gasp of the 80's. Then music went a bit weird through the early nineties, America had the whole grunge thing, and british music didn't know what it wanted to be. Lot of dance acts went mainstream i.e. Shamen, Prodigy.

Then Oasis brought the whole guitar thing back and kicked off Britpop along with the likes of Suede and Blur.

The similarities between The Killing Moon and My Iron Lung are obvious.