You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 hours ago, Chris said:

Paulie knew Tony was thinking of whacking him on the boat over telling John about the Ginny Sac joke. He's stupid, but he's not that stupid. For me I think whatever loyalty he had left to Tony was out of the window at that moment. I can absolutely see Paulie being in on it. That look he gives the last time we see him, with the ChrissyCat outside of Satriales is telling too. There's a little more to it than "I've taken on a responsibility I don't want."

My interpretation – regardless of what Chase says – is that Tony doesn't die, though. Just the way I prefer to envision it and the ending gave me the power to do that.

Anyway $4lb 

I always think it strange the way chase has changed his point of view on Tony dieing. He was clear for years the whole point was "it's never over". So one war was over, but it doesn't mean another isn't about to start and in his job you are never safe. Then maybe a decade later when loads of fans wanted better answers he just started saying he was dead. If he was dead, why wouldn't they show him getting whacked? As much as I thought the ending was too smart for its own good, it only makes sense to me with chase's original explanation. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I always think it strange the way chase has changed his point of view on Tony dieing. He was clear for years the whole point was "it's never over". So one war was over, but it doesn't mean another isn't about to start and in his job you are never safe. Then maybe a decade later when loads of fans wanted better answers he just started saying he was dead. If he was dead, why wouldn't they show him getting whacked? As much as I thought the ending was too smart for its own good, it only makes sense to me with chase's original explanation. 

I don't necessarily doubt he died. It's just I choose not to interpret it that way. I'm comfortable with that. I just don't know why everyone wanted it to be definitive. There's was enough there to answer the question within the text and the subtext, whichever way your gut fell. I always thought it was designed to be open to interpretation but as you say, his more recent comments don't really line up with that.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't necessarily doubt he died. It's just I choose not to interpret it that way. I'm comfortable with that. I just don't know why everyone wanted it to be definitive. There's was enough there to answer the question within the text and the subtext. I always thought it was designed to be open to interpretation but as you say, his more recent comments don't really line up with that.

Yeah I think it was open ended, if Gandolfini hadn't died I'm sure there would have been a film.

14 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think he expressly said Tony was killed, he said he had an idea years before of Tony dying after a meeting in New York and the cut to black which obviously opened up the fact it did cut to black.

He's dead in my opinion and always has been

13 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I don't think he expressly said Tony was killed, he said he had an idea years before of Tony dying after a meeting in New York and the cut to black which obviously opened up the fact it did cut to black.

I can't be arsed searching for it, but I think he offered much more clarity on it with his Many Saints press interviews.

39 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

As @Chris said I am pretty sure he said during the many saints stuff he was dead. 

Maybe he's changed his mind over the years or has just got fed up with talking about it.

I remember freeze-framing the song list Tony looks at a while ago and they include I'm Alive, Only The Strong Survive and Magic Man (Live). An unlikely co-incidence but could just have been a red herring. 

I also read somewhere that he had to assure Journey that Don't Stop Believing wouldn't end up forever tagged with Tony's death. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

I really don't see the point in fan theories about who killed Tony, I find them bizarre.

What can also be frustrating is when fans study every minute detail looking for some secret message and then end up finding stupid plot holes - which have never occured to you before and then spoil everything. I've been watching Dexter New Blood and something came up about it on my Google news feed pointing out some plot hole and how they've arrived at a certain point in the story because of it. It was something that hadn't occured to me. Then you think "oh yeah, that's right" and it starts eating into your enjoyment of the show. Just fuck off you fucking anoraks. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What can also be frustrating is when fans study every minute detail looking for some secret message and then end up finding stupid plot holes - which have never occured to you before and then spoil everything. I've been watching Dexter New Blood and something came up about it on my Google news feed pointing out some plot hole and how they've arrived at a certain point in the story because of it. It was something that hadn't occured to me. Then you think "oh yeah, that's right" and it starts eating into your enjoyment of the show. Just fuck off you fucking anoraks. 

You mean the drug don't you!

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Try being on the phone to Dave whilst he's telling you till he's blue in the face that Phil Leotardo was gay and in a relationship with Vito.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Try being on the phone to Dave whilst he's telling you till he's blue in the face that Phil Leotardo was gay and in a relationship with Vito.

The gripping of the bed sheets, the coming out of the closet, Phil doth proesteth-ing too much... come on, man. One thing I do know though, he can't come in our social club no more. Vito, not Dave.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, aws said:

Only if you're pitchin' not catchin'.  

The incredulousness at that in that scene is hilarious. Chrissy pissing himself when he's talking about "greasing the union *pumping fist motion*" is ace too. "Big construction tycoon!"

• Upvote 1