You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

7 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Is that true or are you assuming? He could have just put on the weight on as a normal consequence of ageing? hell I’ve ballooned with age, got it under control now like. But if he did put it on for the role that’s some (if unhealthy) commitment to a job.

Livia was a horrible character I dread to think what having a mother like that would be like. This was one of the reasons the show was so great, it gave you sympathy for an otherwise unlikable criminal because the depth of the characters was so layered that you kind of understood them even if who they were was abhorrent. I liked Tony but subsequent rewatches makes you realise how nasty he is. 

I remember hearing a story saying he was asked to put on weight to give his character a more 'realistic' presence,but it could have been a rumour just as easily.

8 hours ago, JagSquared said:

Is that true or are you assuming? He could have just put on the weight on as a normal consequence of ageing? hell I’ve ballooned with age, got it under control now like. But if he did put it on for the role that’s some (if unhealthy) commitment to a job.

Livia was a horrible character I dread to think what having a mother like that would be like. This was one of the reasons the show was so great, it gave you sympathy for an otherwise unlikable criminal because the depth of the characters was so layered that you kind of understood them even if who they were was abhorrent. I liked Tony but subsequent rewatches makes you realise how nasty he is. 

I think it was more a case of him sort of morphing into that Tony character than "hey we need you to get fat and vile looking as everything starts to unravel throughout the series." It took a huge toll on him.

I need a favour…

A friend is writing about the new film, she is a massive fan so knows it inside out, but knows that her view are not necessarily everything that needs to be said, so wants some other perspectives.

What are you hoping for in TMSoN?

What are your top five episodes and why?

She says hers are  it’s college, Marco Polo, made in America, university and pine barrens.

Who is the most irredeemable character, and why do we all agree it’s Ralphie?

I’ll link the article when it’s published.

Cheers.

17 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I need a favour…

A friend is writing about the new film, she is a massive fan so knows it inside out, but knows that her view are not necessarily everything that needs to be said, so wants some other perspectives.

She says hers are  it’s college, Marco Polo, made in America, university and pine barrens.

Cheers.

Its weird when you talk about episodes as although The Pine Barrens is exceptional and easy to remember I cannot think of many I'd remember as a single episode rather than a block or recurring theme or character. When I watched it again recently I couldnt believe how so many stories and adventures were wrapped in one episode as when they were aired as one episode a week it seemed ages between stories.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I need a favour…

Cheers.

Will have a proper think about the episodes and respond more fully on that.

the most irredeemable character it’s a tough one as there are so many unlikable guys. Phil Letardo or Richie Apprille for example we’re both bitter and vengeful pricks.

Another possible option is Paulie Gaultieri. I know he was a fan favourite (one of mine too) but he’s a vile piece of work from start to finish, he never does anything without it potentially benefitting himself, the way he treated Chrissy especially with sniffing adriannas panties, the constant bitching and moaning, trying curry favour with NY, robbing and killing the old dear, running the saints parade not because he was religious but because it made him a few bucks.

none of the guys liked him much but he was an earner and relatively loyal. His only redeeming feature was his love for his mother but even then he fucked her off when he realised his aunt was actually his real mother, think that callousness showed it was only ever about himself he couldn’t even blame it on booze or drugs.

Ralphie though for what he did to that poor girl and his coked up shenanigans is up there.

• Upvote 1

On 18/08/2021 at 21:51, johnsusername said:

Ha, weird - I just read this about 30 seconds after it being on.

Been rewatching it. Series 1 seems ancient. It might not be the best season but Livia Soprano is absolutely fucking gold. 

He's almost a different character in season 1.

There was an episode when he was playing AJ on the N64, crying about Jackie's cancer, trying to cheer him up in hospital visits, then having a food fight with Artie.

They stopped making him as likable as that by season 4, to the point when he'd be the cuntish one in exchanges with Janice. Janice! The worst person in the world.

22 hours ago, Kevin D said:

A little unusual that Tony sees Furio kick the shit out of some teenager and concludes he must be hired immediately.

Nah it's because he dives on Don Vittorio to protect him.

"You give this guy a golf club, he'll probably try and fuck it."

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Nah it's because he dives on Don Vittorio to protect him.

"You give this guy a golf club, he'll probably try and fuck it."

I think the dive got him tingling, then seeing him have no reservations before leathering a 14-year-old was confirmation for Tony. It was in that stage when he knew Pussy was a rat, subconsciously , but couldn't yet admit it to himself.

Speaking of commendatori, s2e03 is a lot of fun. Richie is an absolute force of nature. Owns every scene he is in and he manages to go everywhere, Junior, Livia, Adriana, Chrissy, Tony, even his old pal Beansie.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Richie was fantastic. Just watched the episode were Tony goes mad about him dealing coke. The manson lamps were immense 

Have posted this I'm sure but my first job out of uni was in this call centre as a sort of manager and we could listen to and dial in to calls. This airhead worked on the lifestyle and travel section and I phoned her and said 'I'm looking to buy a boat with tree propellers'. You could hear her going: "do we sell boats??"

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Richie was fantastic. Just watched the episode were Tony goes mad about him dealing coke. The manson lamps were immense 

I've said it before & I'll say it again, Richie is the greatest character in television history.

21 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

He's almost a different character in season 1.

There was an episode when he was playing AJ on the N64, crying about Jackie's cancer, trying to cheer him up in hospital visits, then having a food fight with Artie.

They stopped making him as likable as that by season 4, to the point when he'd be the cuntish one in exchanges with Janice. Janice! The worst person in the world.

Worse than Janice. Than Janice. 

Janice is the decent person in this exchange. Janice.

Been watching it again the last few months. Noticing now the last series talks a lot about Tony as a kid. Perhaps Chase had the film in mind when writing? 

Also. Something I missed first time round that only hit me was an amazing low key joke with Ralphie and Silvio.

The episode when Paulie does the before and after joke. Ralphie has been obsessed with Gladiator and quoting it the last few episodes. Silvio makes a remark just out of earshot “Da fucken guy is obsessed with dat film!”

The fucking hypocrisy from Silvio is staggering considering the first 2 series he makes the same Al Pacino in Godfather impression all the time.

Genius.

• Upvote 1