You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Always impressed by the ability of Sopranos characters to get angry by stories they made up - like Tony with the two black guys who jumped him the night Tony B went to jail, or Chrissy anytime he mentions Adriana running away with that guy, or Pussy for joining Witness protection.

I imagine being a good liar is part and parcel of being a crook. My mate grew up with a reasonably well known gangster from England who did time in the states and he said he was always cheating at games when they were kids, I found that interesting.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't think it would be able to hold a candle to the real thing, unless it just worked as a comedy. Part of the genius of the show was that we all bought into the fates of these horrible bastards, wondering what was going to happen to them. I remember a real sense of foreboding at the end of the penultimate episode. Prequels never have that dramatic tension, at least not with the  main characters. We know how Anakin turns out, we know that the young inspector Morse will turn out to be an honourable loner, so there's no tension there. I suspect 'Just Call Saul' will be played for laughs because we know how the Breaking Bad characters end up. I don't really want to se Jonny shooting through Livia's beehive - I'd rather imagine some of that mythology just like we imagine our own parents and grandparents as young blades.

There were rumours of that kind of show shortly after the original ended and I'd have liked to have seen it. It'd have been a totally different animal but interesting in its own way. It would have been ace to see Mafia at the height of its powers, instead of a handful of fellas sat outside a pork store it would have been a hundred fellas sat with their goomaras watching Frankie Valli.

• 2 weeks later...

Still the best tv show ever for me. Loved the wire but the sopranos edges it for me although I can understand anyone who goes the other way.

Always felt to me that The Wire was the "trendier" of the two to like, but by The Sopranos was by far the more enjoyable and better written of the two.

• Upvote 1