You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would have been interesting to see who took over after Tony's death and the positions in the family hierarchy.

I know Silvio wouldnt have been involved,even if he'd have survived as he's now living in Norway!

Paulie would have been boss, the show would have hand endless comedy possibilities - ENDLESS!!!

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, that's what people often say. I'm not dismissive of the good things it does, I just don't enjoy it. I certainly couldn't sit through it again.

I don't like The Wire, but I agree with Sec. It's usually the top guys who give you a bit of time. Others are too busy scrapping to bother with those just below them. Simon seems decent.

I can understand this myself.

I have re watched The Sopranos2-3 times from start to finish but cant muster the energy to sit through it again.

It did feel like a 'In the moment' series when watching it originally.

Paulie would have been boss, the show would have hand endless comedy possibilities - ENDLESS!!!

Would have been entertaining, but very brief.

There was no really competent figure waiting in the wings, so with Paulie last man standing, I think North Jersey would end up getting swallowed up by New York (just like Junior's crew effectively became part of Tony's after season 1).  Much as neighbourhood stores in Newark were becoming part of big corporate chains, so the local mob becomes part of a bigger concern (OK - that's too pretentious).

I always wished we'd seen old man Dimeo, the real boss of the North Jersey mob who was supposed to be in jail during the show. Tony's family was called the Dimeo family and Jackie Aprile, then Junior were only ever supposed to be the acting boss.

Yep - good point. Presumably he had no traction at all as there was no suggestion that he had any influence over proceedings with New York or, unless I missed it, that he h was in any way running things from inside. When Feech, Tony B and the others were released, I don't remember any real mention of him.  

I always wished we'd seen old man Dimeo, the real boss of the North Jersey mob who was supposed to be in jail during the show. Tony's family was called the Dimeo family and Jackie Aprile, then Junior were only ever supposed to be the acting boss.

Think you've mentioned this before but it would have been class had he been released when the likes of Tony Blundetto got out. There would have been murder. 

I've read a couple of books lately, 'Difficult Men' and 'The Revolution Was Televised', both about 'the third golden age of television' and both have interviews with Chase. He comes across as a right arse, extremely egotistical and has a disdain for television, others mention how spiteful he is and that he always holds a grudge.

Most of the show runners covered come across as being dicks. David Simon seems okay, the police he worked with while writing 'Homicide' really liked him, especially his honesty. Vince Gilligan is supposed to be cool as fuck, his writers room is extremely relaxed with everyone having a laugh.

I've got The Revolution was televised, but I'd not heard about difficult men, is it good?

The thing that stands out as particularly odd about Chase is he appears to hold fans of the show in low regard. Abhorring mafia violence and people's fascination with it, while becoming extremely wealthy depicting mafia violence, because people are fascinated by it. Although, if his Mum was half as bad as Livia, I guess his neurosis makes sense.

It's a decent read, but while both books cover a couple of shows not mentioned in the other, there's a fair bit of crossover so I'm not sure I'd recommend buying it, they cover very similar ground. It's worth downloading a copy for nowt though.

The Revolution Was Televised is the better book in my opinion.

David Simon is ace. He kept a five month long promise to give me an interview over email while he was slap bang in the middle of making Treme and sent me answers to 20 questions totalling about 3,000 words. In contrast you can't buy a 'fuck you' from your average BBC Herbert when you're asking them for even the simplest bit of advice (one actually replied to me once saying: "feel free to email but keep it brief, a lot of people at the BBC don't have time to read long emails").

Alan Partridge syndrome, it's the low level achievers who are the biggest dicks. If you saw Tom Hanks in a bar he'd probably buy you a pint while some Hollyoaks twat would probably spit in your face.

This is what Tom Hanks does.

TOM-HANKS-PHOTO-BOMB.jpg

tom-hanks-reddit-2-585x438.jpeg

article-0-14B66BFF000005DC-775_634x473.j

• Upvote 2

I'm very close to finally booking myself a trip to New York.

Obviously I'm planning on the Sopranos Tour.

Read up on a few reviews but was wondering if any off here have done it?  Think I read Section has.  

Any particular observations to make or advice?

I see it runs only once a week on Saturday mornings, from Manhattan.  Glad I checked that as I was gonna book a hotel in NJ thinking I'd be close to where it went off.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm very close to finally booking myself a trip to New York.

Obviously I'm planning on the Sopranos Tour.

Read up on a few reviews but was wondering if any off here have done it?  Think I read Section has.  

Any particular observations to make or advice?

I see it runs only once a week on Saturday mornings, from Manhattan.  Glad I checked that as I was gonna book a hotel in NJ thinking I'd be close to where it went off.

It's class mate do it. I can imagine some people will bitch because you don't get to go to the house and Satriale's has been knocked down, but I've sat at the bar in the Bada Bing complete with strippers and drank a beer, how many people can say that? Plus there's loads of places you'll recognise. Me and my mate re enacted the scene where Chris gets shot in front of that diner, I've got video of him running away pretending to shoot me as tourists looked on bewildered, it was ace. You see all the sights form the opening credits too (Pizzaland etc). Plus, it's just nice to see New Jersey and get out of New York, it's like a sunny Runcorn.

On a different note, what do people think happened between season six and the final few episodes? It's like they were building to something and then completely changed direction. That bird Christopher was seeing (who Tony nearly boned) just vanishes (I got the impression she was going to get killed in crossfire, as agent Harris is warning Tony about his problem with Brooklyn, and says 'someone close to you may be in danger', and we see her and Chrstopher sat in a diner.

Also, Chris's friend Murmur (who I thought was cool) disappears until near the end, the relationship between Anthony and that hot latina bird goes tits up as well.

It's class mate do it. I can imagine some people will bitch because you don't get to go to the house and Satriale's has been knocked down, but I've sat at the bar in the Bada Bing complete with strippers and drank a beer, how many people can say that? Plus there's loads of places you'll recognise. Me and my mate re enacted the scene where Chris gets shot in front of that diner, I've got video of him running away pretending to shoot me as tourists looked on bewildered, it was ace. You see all the sights form the opening credits too (Pizzaland etc). Plus, it's just nice to see New Jersey and get out of New York, it's like a sunny Runcorn.

On a different note, what do people think happened between season six and the final few episodes? It's like they were building to something and then completely changed direction. That bird Christopher was seeing (who Tony nearly boned) just vanishes (I got the impression she was going to get killed in crossfire, as agent Harris is warning Tony about his problem with Brooklyn, and says 'someone close to you may be in danger', and we see her and Chrstopher sat in a diner.

Also, Chris's friend Murmur (who I thought was cool) disappears until near the end, the relationship between Anthony and that hot latina bird goes tits up as well.

Funny you should mention Anthony and the unreal latino girl...lordy she's lovely. Anyway I'm watching the series for a second time and I think I caught why she dumped him. Carmela is talking about selling the house she built at dinner with everyone there and there's a look the Latino girl throws as if to think that she thought herself and Anthony would be given the house, Anthony then asks her to marry him and goes on about getting a promotion in the pizza place where he works and he'd look after her and the kid. But she wanted the big house and loafds of money off him....why else was she with him in fairness!

Funny you should mention Anthony and the unreal latino girl...lordy she's lovely. Anyway I'm watching the series for a second time and I think I caught why she dumped him. Carmela is talking at dinner with everyone there about selling the house she built and there's a look the Latino girl throws as if to think that she thought herself and Anthony would be given the house, Anthony then asks her to marry him and goes on about getting a promotion in the pizza place where he works and he'd look after her and the kid. But she wanted the big house and loafds of money off him....why else was she with him in fairness!

• 2 weeks later...

Always impressed by the ability of Sopranos characters to get angry by stories they made up - like Tony with the two black guys who jumped him the night Tony B went to jail, or Chrissy anytime he mentions Adriana running away with that guy, or Pussy for joining Witness protection.

• Upvote 1