You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

“I killed my wife. Not that it’s any excuse. I had reason to believe she was cheating on me at the time with her chiropractor. Granted, I was abusing cocaine at the time. And alcohol. But I came home one day, shot her four times. Twice in the head. I killed her aunt, too. I didn’t know she was there. And the mailman. At that point, I had to fully commit.”

• Upvote 1

one of my favourite episodes that.

There's some really great stuff in the episode(Stage 5 for anyone wondering). The foreshadowing and Godfather references were so skilfully executed. I was also really impressed by Little Carmine's scene with Tony; he had been entirely comic relief up to that point then, out of nowhere, it turns out he may be the only person with the foresight to avoid dying by taking on a thankless job.

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting. One way criminals like to alleviate some of their guilt is by making a distinction between acceptable and unacceptable crimes. We hear Tony say it a few times: "I may do X, Y and Z but I'm not like the sick bastards who torture and abuse children."

You wonder how many of the strippers on his payroll were pimped out when they were underage, but 'that's different'.

I actually had an uncle who was what you might call a low level gangster, he's unspeakably evil - and I don't use the word lightly - he used to beat up his wife and kids, yet overtly expressed love for babies and animals, he also started crying when he got jailed for six months and briefly attended church. It's grimly fascinating, from a psychological perspective.

I'm not so sure. The likes of Ian Brady are pretty proud of what they did, psychopaths are glib and tend to think they're the dogs bollocks and everyone else is a waste of clothes.

I think what's especially interesting about the Mafia is that it's a family and community way of life rather than simply a criminal career.

If I became a bank robber it's something I'd actively have to choose to do rather than do it because my dad and brother do it. I'd have to reconcile myself with the fact I was essentially going to become the bad guy before I did it. I think people like Bobby Bachala would much rather have done something else with their lives.

Vincent Pastore (Big Pussy) was talking about that scene where he and Tony go for steaks after clipping Matt. He reckons the reason a lot of Mafia fellas are fat because they eat after they've done bad shit to take their mind off it.

• Upvote 1

I don't know if I have posted this before, but I think the ending is genius. It's Schrodinger's Cat, all endings happen until you know what happens, and you'll never know. I know pages and pages have been written on the internet about it, but I think that sums it up as well as anything.

Don't quite agree with it, but I thought this was a fine observation of the sopranos:

http://www.avclub.com/review/the-sopranos-whitecaps-57905

"Todd, if you used the word, "show" too much, I didn't notice.

Anyway, I think the first four graphs stand well on their own, but I don't think they're even close to applicable in Tony & Carm's relationship.

You're asking, "When did they stop making that choice?" Well, I would argue that Tony, for one, NEVER made that choice. The role of "wife" is a possession/staff position in his life. The way he fights for her is about having his way, just as everything else in his life is.Consider that you portray a couple that put its dreams on hold and surrendered its lifestyle in the service of children. Tony has never put anyone's needs before his own. He never put his dreams on old. He never stopped eating out or going to the movies. In fact, he built a home theater/divorce cottage. You describe a relationship that suffers as people sacrifice their needs for others. I.E. The exact opposite of Tony.

The better question is "When did Carmela stop making that choice?" However, I think her choice is still distinguishable from the one you presented. This was never a marriage, it was a business arrangement. Carmela long proved willing to put up with Tony's shit as long as she was rightfully compensated for it. And Carmela was constantly on the lookout for better options. Could a priest/psychiatrist/Furio make her a pitch that would persuade her to seek another arrangement?

That's why I also disagree with you on the symbolic purpose of Whitecaps. The house is not a symbol of their innocent past, but rather indicative of their long-term business arrangement. It's one of many material benefits Tony can present Carmela in lieu of meeting her non-material needs. Jewelry, charity, clothing, cars and homes are compensation in place of loyalty, attention, empowerment and peace of mind (as in the peace of mind a wife would have if she were not married to a mob boss who funds their lifestyle with blood money). What it comes down to is that Whitecaps is not sufficient compensation for fucking the amputee who takes care of your uncle. Abject humiliation is not covered in the contract. It's OK when you fuck her cousin, but Svetlana is both defective and close to the family. The price just went up.

To me, Tony & Carm's reconciliation illustrates how their relationship is different from the scenario you described. In your scenario, the couple might stop making the choice so that they may search for themselves. For that reason, reconciliation is nearly impossible. Carmela stopped making the choice to exercise her power in the business arrangement. She went on strike to get a better deal. Then she went back to work.

Word."

Watching Blue Comet, just now. After getting shown up by Elliot in front of her piers, Melfie sends Tony packing. I did think her role was a touch pointless after Tony's mum passed, but I read, - what I thought was a very prescient comment - a man said he thought after that, Melfie became Tony's paid consultant. I really think that's dead on. And being publicly embarrassed wasn't part of the staff role.

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER don't read if you haven't watched all, sorry I've no nsfw type options.

I don't think the ending was very debatable in the leading episode tony even talks about you not even knowing when it finally happens, just blackness. The writer of the show said all the answers were there its not ambiguous. I'm pretty accepting of the fact tony was killed in the diner for me that's how the sopranos ended when tony ended at that table with a bullet in the head, he didn't even know it was happening. Personally I wanted him to be killed.

Whenever I read David Chase's comments, or extracts of his commentary, I cannot shake the feeling that, despite being a bonafide genius, he is a bit mental.

I've read a couple of books lately, 'Difficult Men' and 'The Revolution Was Televised', both about 'the third golden age of television' and both have interviews with Chase. He comes across as a right arse, extremely egotistical and has a disdain for television, others mention how spiteful he is and that he always holds a grudge.

Most of the show runners covered come across as being dicks. David Simon seems okay, the police he worked with while writing 'Homicide' really liked him, especially his honesty. Vince Gilligan is supposed to be cool as fuck, his writers room is extremely relaxed with everyone having a laugh.

David Simon is ace. He kept a five month long promise to give me an interview over email while he was slap bang in the middle of making Treme and sent me answers to 20 questions totalling about 3,000 words. In contrast you can't buy a 'fuck you' from your average BBC Herbert when you're asking them for even the simplest bit of advice (one actually replied to me once saying: "feel free to email but keep it brief, a lot of people at the BBC don't have time to read long emails").

Alan Partridge syndrome, it's the low level achievers who are the biggest dicks. If you saw Tom Hanks in a bar he'd probably buy you a pint while some Hollyoaks twat would probably spit in your face.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't like The Wire, but I agree with Sec. It's usually the top guys who give you a bit of time. Others are too busy scrapping to bother with those just below them. Simon seems decent.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Hold the fuck up.

Now I always enjoyed reading your posts but now after that admission ill have reconsider if you should be the first on my ignore lost

It's a tough call, but remember that nobody is perfect. I beg a second chance from you, super kid.