You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Not seen it mentioned much but Democracy Now did a brilliant piece on how he was a massive supporter of community television and film-making in New York. They mentioned that after The Sopranos he did two very well received documentaries about war. One was a HBO one called Alive Day Memories: Home from Iraq and the other was Wartorn: 1861–2010, both of which seem very focussed on the people that are sent to war and how they struggle to cope with little support.

Apparently he was producing a documentary on people with learning difficulties at the time of his death. The people working with him on the project are going to finish it.

One of them said that his ethos in life was "No-one left behind". Pretty nice thing for someone to think about you.

It's an incredible loss but he'll go down as a true American icon, right up there with Brando and McQueen - no show, certainly in my lifetime, or even a film has become as much a part of the American psyche, and redefined its industry, the way The Sopranos did - it's as much a part of American culture as Coca Cola, Jacko and Elvis. Not a bad legacy for big Jim.

• 2 weeks later...

Just coming to the end of watching the series from start to finish for the 3rd time and each time its compulsive viewing and my feelings towards the characters are almost always different each time.

The last series was far weaker than the first 5 series and I noticed that they sometimes had as many as four different writers for an episode.This led to some disjointed storylines and performances too.

But to me at least its the best tv series that's ever been made and will take some beating before it's surpassed.

James Gandolfini has left one hell of an acting legacy with his performances as Tony Soprano.

PS. It was interesting to hear him use his natural accent in the scenes were he dreamt he was a Salesman during his time in a coma after he had been shot.

Me and some mates had a Sopranos night the other week to bid farewell to big Jim. Picked an episode each (mine was Full Leather Jacket) and all took some Italian food, among mine was a plate of fine Italian meats - aka - the gabagool.

It was the TV of our uni days and one of the things we all had in common back then, even now our talk is permeated with its sayings. Amazing show. There are shows I prefer for raw drama, but nothing in my lifetime has surpassed its all round iconic status, and I doubt it ever will.

got to say I loved series 6 part two. The first part was weaker. but I thought the Blue comet episode was the most edge of your seat piece of tv I've ever seen. The death of Chris and Johnny sack were brilliant, as was the episode where Tony curb stomped CoCo.

In fact I loved every episode.

The wire takes it close but to me the sopranos is still the best series ever.

I thought the show was class towards the end. It changes a hell of a lot, you don't notice until you watch it from the beginning. The first season especially is full of repeated 'signature' music in virtually every scene, there's hardly any music at all in the latter seasons. The show is also far 'bigger' in the end though, with many more characters and storylines. When you watch the first couple of seasons Tony's world seems a lot smaller. When New York comes for them, it's awesome, and I love the line...

14981033-14981036-large.jpg

"The end times eh? Ready for the rapture?"

Interesting and sad to see a few of the cast no longer with us such as, Tom Aldredge (Carmella's Dad) Tony Lip (Carmine Luprtazzi Snr), Denise Borino (Ginny Sack) as well as Big Jim Gandolfini. Also Edie Falco recovered from breast cancer a few years back too.

Maybe a bit of a curse seeing as the show involved so many on screen deaths?

Curse is going a bit far. Most of them were old timers already and tony and ginny werent in the best of conditions weight wise. Just seems like natural attrition over the years.

I was being sarcastic, a little. Ginny Sack was in her forties and Gandolfini barely turned 50 but as you say their weight issues couldnt have helped.

Its just a bit sad to hear of those actors/actresses no longer being around so relatively soon after the series ended.

Yeah the lad who player Matt went to jail for a good few years.

On episode 8 of season one now' date=' watching it with my missus who hasn't seen it before. Just fantastic. And Carmela is a bell end.[/quote']

I softened up on Carmella a bit this time around as the son was a complete wanker in the series. Paulie is an evil cunt but the funniest character in there.

Didnt even realise that in real life,Dr Melfi(Lorraine Bracco) and Fat,Gay Vito's wife are sisters.

Me and some mates had a Sopranos night the other week to bid farewell to big Jim. Picked an episode each (mine was Full Leather Jacket) and all took some Italian food, among mine was a plate of fine Italian meats - aka - the gabagool.

It was the TV of our uni days and one of the things we all had in common back then, even now our talk is permeated with its sayings. Amazing show. There are shows I prefer for raw drama, but nothing in my lifetime has surpassed its all round iconic status, and I doubt it ever will.

Mine is University, the episode with Ralphie and the stripper.

I softened up on Carmella a bit this time around as the son was a complete wanker in the series. Paulie is an evil cunt but the funniest character in there.

Didnt even realise that in real life,Dr Melfi(Lorraine Bracco) and Fat,Gay Vito's wife are sisters.

I think Carmella gets a lot more shit on here than she deserves. She's not Janice, for example, who is just a nasty cunt. Tony is the only man she's ever been with - which means that as feminist movement was burgeoning, she was in a palace, looking after Tony's daughter - and he's essentially infantalised her and done so, on purpose. She didn't get the chance to finish University and any attempts at bettering herself, spiritually or getting a job, which are narrow because of who she is, are constantly undermined by Tony.

I am not saying she doesn't annoy me, or she is perfect, but a 20 year marriage with a man like Tony, in the world he inhabits, would take a toll on anybody and I've got a lot of sympathy for her.

She held the screen with Tony with incredible poise as well, which is a testament to how well crafted she was and good an actress Falco is.

• 4 months later...

The point you get at the end is that they are all evil cunts, and that we as the audience become complicit in their crimes. Read Chase on the final scene and the desire of viewers to find out what happens to Tony, and he is scathing of our need to know what happened to this guy we've seen murder, steal and cheat for years - Chase knows he has made us feel this way. The point is made explicitly in the show when Agent Harris reacts to Phil Leotardo's death - he has become someone his wife and colleagues don't recognise because he has allowed Tony's humanity to obscure his essential evil.

You think Silvio is a decent guy because he puts himself at risk to ensure the girls at the Bing get paid just before he's shot? What about the way he treats Adriana or the girl who had shacked up with Ralphie?

Just because some characters (Tony, Silvio, Bobby, Vito, Tony B) show more of a human side than others (Richie, Ralphie, Phil, Chris) doesn't mean that they are good guys: they are murderers and fraudsters, polluting with asbestos for profit. Just as their wives, children and corrupt police and political associates are complicit, so are we for laughing along with their jokes and rooting for our favourites even though we have been shown time and time again how they will kill for money without a second thought. 

Why is Chase making us feel this way? My guess is that it's a satire on western toleration for inequality, poverty, corruption and exploitation (at home and abroad) in return for low-cost consumerism. We all want the brands that Carmella gets, even if they are the proceeds of child labour. We all want the sexual freedom that Tony has, even if its consequence is emotionally damaged  women. As a society we have made our choice - like agent Harris at the end America (and the West in general) has made its pact with the devil it knows. It's a bleak message when you think about it.

But yes, I love Paulie; I bought the cookbook (although I've never made anything from it) and I watch it over and over again.

That is the power of great art - seductive and sermonising - making  you feel good, but condemning you for your enjoyment. For what it's worth I think it's the greatest piece of art I've ever seen.

• Upvote 2

I am not sure what your point is as I think almost everybody realises they are all callous and evil bastards. My comments are totally within the context of the show and not about real life.

The brilliance of it was a lot to do with the complexity of the characters and the many different sides of their personality they showed. It illustrated brilliantly their 9-5 attitude of murdering,maiming and robbing without conscience but then coming home to their families as if they'd just finished at the office. 

There was a fair bit of overtime involved though.

I am not sure what your point is as I think almost everybody realises they are all callous and evil bastards. My comments are totally within the context of the show and not about real life.

The brilliance of it was a lot to do with the complexity of the characters and the many different sides of their personality they showed. It illustrated brilliantly their 9-5 attitude of murdering,maiming and robbing without conscience but then coming home to their families as if they'd just finished at the office. 

There was a fair bit of overtime involved though.

Fully appreciate that - not arguing with you at all. Just something that's been on my mind for a while about how disturbing it is that we are all pulled into their world and we can become desensitised to all the evil stuff pretty quickly, and how disturbing it can be when that hits home. Not saying for a moment you didn't get that, or that my point was revolutionary or a massive insight.

Fully appreciate that - not arguing with you at all. Just something that's been on my mind for a while about how disturbing it is that we are all pulled into their world and we can become desensitised to all the evil stuff pretty quickly, and how disturbing it can be when that hits home. Not saying for a moment you didn't get that, or that my point was revolutionary or a massive insight.

I wasn't really having a go as I think most of us who loved the show understood its detachment from our reality and their insularity from the rest of US society.

I obvious cant speak for the Americans when I say we regarding the large doses of irony featured in it.

I watched Whitecaps(when Carmella throws Tony out) last night and it's a great episode. I think it may have been, acting wise, the high point of the entire series'; Gandolfini turned it up another level, but he was second best to Edie Falco, who was exceptional, you could see it in her eyes and in details like her stuttering and the smallest bits of salivia dropping as she was becoming incensed. It's so satisfying to watch people as good these two and who have on-screen chemistry. The fights seemed more brutal than any execution we witnessed.

The arguments also seem to be directed at the audience, I know we've had some of the very same discussions about their marriage on this thread and others.