You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was googling how to make Johnny Cakes before and turns out the actor who played him committed suicide

Just thought I'd mention it

Between Nancy Marchand's age, Denise Borino-Quinn's weight and John Costelloe's suicide I am waiting for a Channel Five documentry "The Sopranos Curse"

Matt Drinkwater too, Lillo Brancato, Jr is still in nick. Might be worth joining Twitter for actually:

Fans of Lillo Brancato Jr. don't have to wait till his parole in 2014 to hear from "The Sopranos" and "A Bronx Tales" actor.

Brancato, who's serving a 10-year sentence at the Oneida Correctional Facility in Rome, N.Y., for first-degree burglary, has started tweeting about life in the slammer, with a little technical assistance from his longtime friend, nightlife impresario Noel Ashman.

Ashman tells us Brancato calls his assistant Nicole Schultz from the upstate prison once or twice a week to dictate the tweets he wants released on his Twitter account, @Lillo Brancato, for the coming days.

The Yonkers native's account has a modest 431 followers - a small group, by celebrity standards, perhaps because he's been extremely low-key about his tweeting.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished them, second time round. I only just noticed, how many times do they get stuff wrong in it? I can't think of them all, but Tony says a few, and looking through the episode titles, things like the knight in white satin armour, full leather jacket.

Anyone ever hear of a reason why these things were deliberately used, that were wrong? I understand Irina saying the knight in white satin armour, shes Russian and doesn't fully get the language, but Tony says stuff like this all the time.

Just finished them, second time round. I only just noticed, how many times do they get stuff wrong in it? I can't think of them all, but Tony says a few, and looking through the episode titles, things like the knight in white satin armour, full leather jacket.

Anyone ever hear of a reason why these things were deliberately used, that were wrong? I understand Irina saying the knight in white satin armour, shes Russian and doesn't fully get the language, but Tony says stuff like this all the time.

You mean malapropisms? "Create some dysentery in the ranks" "I was prostate with grief"? It was just a genius way of showing how they're all essentially pretty uneducated and thick.

Stringer Bell is similar in The Wire, though not quite as glaring. He's never heard the tale of the goose that laid the golden egg. These people know what they know, and they're brilliant at it - predatory, devious, instinctive, but take them out of their element - such as when Tony goes to play golf with his doctor neighbour and his mates - and they're fucked. It's beautiful.

I have been waiting to get on this thread for months but wanted to finish watching the series first (yes appreciate I am years behind). I have watched all series in about 6 months, mrs really got into it so we have been watching a few episodes every week. Really enjoyed the characters, Tony especially but WTF was that ending all about? literally just switched it off 5 mins ago and have to say feel a bit pissed about it - I will get over it and read the thread from the start now!

I used to think it was the greatest TV series ever...

...then I watched The Wire.

The episode were Paulie and Chris are stuck in the woods in the snow with the crazy Russian ruled

The Wire is next on my list - is it better?

Yep that episode was fuckin class, probably one of the best episodes of the entire series

Give Brotherhood a go too.

I only watched it recently and its like the Sopranos little brother.

I couldn't stand Brotherhood. It had all the ingredients, subject matter, good cast etc, but found it utterly charmless and humourless. That was the genius of the Sopranos, they were such cunts that they needed the humour to make them likable, Brotherhood didn't have that, so they were just cunts and I found it incredibly boring as well.

Guest ShoePiss

So was the only person in the world to not know that Sil in the real world is actually a prominent member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street band and a bit of a musical legend?

American Idol was on last night as it is every other week in this house (the other half goes to her Mum's one week to watch it and then her Mum comes here). Sil was on the show wearing a bandana giving out pearls of wisdom to the contestants, the Scouse texan is still in the competition by the way.

Guest ShoePiss
I have been waiting to get on this thread for months but wanted to finish watching the series first (yes appreciate I am years behind). I have watched all series in about 6 months, mrs really got into it so we have been watching a few episodes every week. Really enjoyed the characters, Tony especially but WTF was that ending all about? literally just switched it off 5 mins ago and have to say feel a bit pissed about it - I will get over it and read the thread from the start now!

I remember going in to Blockbuster asking for the next disc as I was convinced the one I'd just watched wasn't the last one. Ha!

So was the only person in the world to not know that Sil in the real world is actually a prominent member of Bruce Springsteen's E Street band and a bit of a musical legend?

American Idol was on last night as it is every other week in this house (the other half goes to her Mum's one week to watch it and then her Mum comes here). Sil was on the show wearing a bandana giving out pearls of wisdom to the contestants, the Scouse texan is still in the competition by the way.

He'd never acted before. David Chase was a big Springsteen fan (Jersey boy) and was looking at Van Zandt's face on the album and decided to create a character for him. He turned the offer down at first, saying he didn't want to take an actor's job, but Chase explained he'd created the role especially. Van Zandt said his mrs was doing her nut as she's an actress - she got a role in the end though as his onscreen wife, although she's really shit.

I read in that Vanity fair piece a page or two back that Steven originally auditioned for Tony, I think it was, but was turned down, but Chase liked him so much he was trying to find a role, and Steven said he had an idea for a retired hitman called Silvio Dante or something, and they merged the two characters together to create him.

I couldn't stand Brotherhood. It had all the ingredients, subject matter, good cast etc, but found it utterly charmless and humourless. That was the genius of the Sopranos, they were such cunts that they needed the humour to make them likable, Brotherhood didn't have that, so they were just cunts and I found it incredibly boring as well.

I didnt watch Brotherhood until fairly recently because it didnt appeal to me when it was originally aired but downloaded season 1 and then had to see it through. Ended up enjoying it too. Some of the characters were pretty boring i admit but everything compared to the Sopranos is going to fall short anyway.

Ray Liotta was originally approached to play Tony but turned it down as he'd already done the 'gangster thing' with Goodfellas.

Liotta would have been decent but it's impossible thinking of anybody else but Gandolfini playing him now.

I read Chase saw Van Zandt's face playing a gig or at an award show or something (maybe playing a gig at an award show) and then created the character of Silvio especially for him.

The Soprano's is better than The Wire. Both shows tailed off towards the end but the whole fake serial killer stuff at the end of The Wire was ridiculous. The season where those kids come into it as well is a bit off - Chris & Snoop save that series.

Brotherhood isn't good enough to even be mentioned in the same sentance as The Sopranos.

Ray Liotta was originally approached to play Tony but turned it down as he'd already done the 'gangster thing' with Goodfellas.

Liotta would have been decent but it's impossible thinking of anybody else but Gandolfini playing him now.

I read Chase saw Van Zandt's face playing a gig or at an award show or something (maybe playing a gig at an award show) and then created the character of Silvio especially for him.

The Soprano's is better than The Wire. Both shows tailed off towards the end but the whole fake serial killer stuff at the end of The Wire was ridiculous. The season where those kids come into it as well is a bit off - Chris & Snoop save that series.

Brotherhood isn't good enough to even be mentioned in the same sentance as The Sopranos.

He wanted Loraine Bracco to play his wife too, which would have been a bit mad. Tony was originally called Tommy Soprano too and the show was going to be called Family Guy, until Family Guy came out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...