You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, Elite said:

I watched it all over 10 years ago and liked it but didn't think it was as good as The Wire and The Shield but I'm on my first rewatch now and am absolutely loving it, it's definitely on a par with the shows I mentioned. I think you need to be a little older to fully appreciate it.

Those are my three, as well. I can't split them in terms or quality.

Probably prefer The Sopranos because you can pick and choose episode with its short story, self contained episodes. The Wire is a novel, so you can't just watch a chapter, need to see the whole season play out and The Shield is so intense that you end up watching 10 in a row. They don't, and probably shouldn't, have Pine Barrens, or College, which  makes Sopranos easier just to duck into an for an hour.

2 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I know you're not a mad men fan but it's the same

Yeah, Mad men is in my top 5 as well. Awesome in terms of characterisation, theme and acting. There's only about 15 minutes of plot and action over the 7 seasons, so I can see why people don't fancy it.

When Sopranos first came out I thought this looks a bit shit from the trailers, thought it would be a try hard shit rip off of the great 90's gangster movies, filled with cliches. Fucking hell I was wrong, badly wrong. Luckily the eulogising from this forum got me into it and I never looked back.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Remmie said:

I've watched 2 or 3 seasons of the Shield, enjoyed it but never got round to watching any more.

It is serious, Zeb.

Season 5 and season 7 of the Shield are the most intense physical experience I've had watching a piece of media, and I don't think I'm alone.

In season 5, Forest Whitaker arrives and it goes from a brilliant cop drama to a relentless Greek tragedy.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Those are my three, as well. I can't split them in terms or quality.

Probably prefer The Sopranos because you can pick and choose episode with its short story, self contained episodes. The Wire is a novel, so you can't just watch a chapter, need to see the whole season play out and The Shield is so intense that you end up watching 10 in a row. They don't, and probably shouldn't, have Pine Barrens, or College, which  makes Sopranos easier just to duck into an for an hour.

Just finished rewatching The Wire in its entirety for the first time since I originally watched it when it was released. The Wire was superb for the first 3 series but significantly weaker in the final 2. The death of the director,Robert Colesberry in 2005 might have caused that. The Sopranos is much stronger throughout,in my view.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Just finished rewatching The Wire in its entirety for the first time since I originally watched it when it was released. The Wire was superb for the first 3 series but significantly weaker in the final 2. The death of the director,Robert Colesberry in 2005 might have caused that. The Sopranos is much stronger throughout,in my view.

Not a fan of season 4?

I didn't care for some of the stuff in 5, but 4 was so tragic. 

They got you to emotionally invest in Randy, Sherard, Michael, Namond and they pulled the rug out from underneath. 6b of the Sopranos was probably the best season of TV I've seen, but season 4 of The Wire runs it close:

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I’m with you on this, it’s decent but it’s not on par with the sopranos or the wire. I’d rate boardwalk Empire, BB and BCS higher than it too. 

2928957f-22d0-4da9-9a7d-6c56d6716cf7_tex

Negged. 

As a matter of principle, we can't have people talk shit about The Shield.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Elite said:

Mad Men got me through the first lockdown and recovery from Covid. It's not quite as good as the big 3 but a wonderful show and journey.

Breaking Bad is up there as well for me.

Mad Men is brilliant, just a step down from the top tier level shows. I was however kind of expecting more from the ending.

At the moment aside form BCS, I’m struggling to find a show that could challenge the top tier level. I’ve seen most of the other recommendations that normally come up. 

sopranos and the wire really was the golden age of TV.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JagSquared said:

Mad Men is brilliant, just a step down from the top tier level shows. I was however kind of expecting more from the ending.

At the moment aside form BCS, I’m struggling to find a show that could challenge the top tier level. I’ve seen most of the other recommendations that normally come up. 

sopranos and the wire really was the golden age of TV.

Those are the gold standard, top 5 or 6 shows.

The level below which are boss would be Deadwood, The Americans, Justified and Battlestar Galactica. Real 9.5/10 stuff.

1 hour ago, Kevin D said:

Those are the gold standard, top 5 or 6 shows.

The level below which are boss would be Deadwood, The Americans, Justified and Battlestar Galactica. Real 9.5/10 stuff.

Yep seen all those. All very good, nothing new seems to be grabbing me at the moment. Currently watching Start Up and that’s ok as long as you ignore the massive plot holes.

25 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Yep seen all those. All very good, nothing new seems to be grabbing me at the moment. Currently watching Start Up and that’s ok as long as you ignore the massive plot holes.

Think you'd really like Warrior(same people who did Banshee) and Counterpart, with JK Simmons.

• Upvote 1