You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Went gym other day. No air con. Mrs asks how was gym " hot and sticky like my balls" 

She didn't get it

Fuckin bitch (no disrespect). She should get the Adrianna treatment 

• Upvote 1

Just watching the first season again, and what a piece of television it is.

I only consider The Wire and The Shield to be on its level overall, but they didn't start anywhere near as hot as this. The first season suffers from the fact that seasons 3,5, and 6b are all top 10 of TV ever, with the latter in the top 3.

I can never find it on YouTube, but the the scene of Tony and Meadow in the church, in the pilot, while Tony explains his grandfather came over from Italy to build the church is when I knew we were watching something that wasn't just great, but special.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Just watching the first season again, and what a piece of television it is.

I only consider The Wire and The Shield to be on its level overall, but they didn't start anywhere near as hot as this. The first season suffers from the fact that seasons 3,5, and 6b are all top 10 of TV ever, with the latter in the top 3.

I can never find it on YouTube, but the the scene of Tony and Meadow in the church, in the pilot, while Tony explains his grandfather came over from Italy to build the church is when I knew we were watching something that wasn't just great, but special.

Yep. I'll throw a few episodes on while pissed but never really choose season 1. But it was fantastic , I'd agree with your choices of seasons as well

3 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Yep. I'll throw a few episodes on while pissed but never really choose season 1. But it was fantastic , I'd agree with your choices of seasons as well

3 is my favourite; it's all self-contained episodes and short stories. Chrissy getting made in Fortunate Son, which is just an hour ode to Goodfellas. University with Ralphie and Tracee, that apparently caused HBO subscribers to cancel their contracts. Gloria who is as good as it gets as a goomah, just incredible. And, lest we forget, Pine Barrens - one of the top 10 episodes in TV history.

5 is just the best unified story they ever told. The ballad of Tony B and Adriana, not as good as 3 episode by episode, but the overarching narrative was bloody brilliant.

6b is when they combined the best aspects of 3, 5 and The Shield. It really felt like nobody was safe. Blue comet with Sil and Bobby, then it ending with Tony and his shotgun cocked trying to sleep, looking at the door. Yeah, the whole thing was magic. Sopranos home movies, Stage 5, Walk like a man, Blue Comet, Made in America. 

You probably even don't hear it when it happens.

• Upvote 3

On 24/07/2021 at 18:03, littletedwest said:

I didn't realise that in the episode "to save us all from us Satan's power" Jackie Jr in the flashback is actually the actors younger brother 

Didn't he almost drown in 3-inches of water?

On 24/07/2021 at 09:36, Kevin D said:

3 is my favourite; it's all self-contained episodes and short stories. Chrissy getting made in Fortunate Son, which is just an hour ode to Goodfellas. University with Ralphie and Tracee, that apparently caused HBO subscribers to cancel their contracts. Gloria who is as good as it gets as a goomah, just incredible. And, lest we forget, Pine Barrens - one of the top 10 episodes in TV history.

5 is just the best unified story they ever told. The ballad of Tony B and Adriana, not as good as 3 episode by episode, but the overarching narrative was bloody brilliant.

6b is when they combined the best aspects of 3, 5 and The Shield. It really felt like nobody was safe. Blue comet with Sil and Bobby, then it ending with Tony and his shotgun cocked trying to sleep, looking at the door. Yeah, the whole thing was magic. Sopranos home movies, Stage 5, Walk like a man, Blue Comet, Made in America. 

You probably even don't hear it when it happens.

Absolutely this. The shot of the slow zoom into Chrissy leaning on the hood of the car is taken straight from Henry in Goodfellas during the Idlewild Airport scene. 

I'm four episodes away from the end of watching the whole series from start to finish for about the 4th or 5th time,I cant watch individual episodes to be honest. You tend to view things differently each viewing and I've got to say that Tony Soprano was an absolute cunt of a character,even eclipsing the likes of Paulie and Phil Leotardo for example. 

A couple of funny lines I've not noticed before were,in the Pine Barrens episode where Paulie and Chrissie were talking Paulie says 'He was a Czechoslovakian interior decorator' and Chrissie replies 'But his house looked like shit!' really tickled me. Also after Tony is recovering from his gunshot wounds he has to go back into surgery to get his scar closed up. The surgeon is operating and puts on a serious face and has a long pause before declaring 'Oh my God! I've found Jimmy Hoffa!' Comedy gold within a very dark and serious subject matter. I have to say that the final series was very weak until the last few episodes though. AJ was an annoying cunt and Carmela was ok for a few series before becoming almost unbearable towards the end too. Brilliant stuff though and will take some shifting from being the best ever tv series by some way,IMHO.