You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

16 minutes ago, Chris said:

I finally got around to starting The West Wing the other week.

I struggled with how cute the dialogue was. Then I saw in the credits "Aaron Sorkin" 

Absolutely abhor his writing; it's as if Tarantino wasn't trying to write great dialogue, but just tried to show off how intelligent/funny he is. Seen him on a few chat shows as well, Colbert et al, and he's every bit the smug twat you'd imagine him to be.

The Newsroom was one of the smuggest pieces of TV I've ever come across. I still now can't come to terms with how smug it was.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

I finally got around to starting The West Wing the other week.

I struggled with how cute the dialogue was. Then I saw in the credits "Aaron Sorkin" 

Absolutely abhor his writing; it's as if Tarantino wasn't trying to write great dialogue, but just tried to show off how intelligent/funny he is. Seen him on a few chat shows as well, Colbert et al, and he's every bit the smug twat you'd imagine him to be.

The West Wing was fantastic. A bit twee,yes,but brilliantly written and acted.

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Nonsense. The Shield is watchable, sure, fun yes, but there’s absolutely no way it’s in that elite bracket. 

I should throw you down the stairs and plant Jimmy Saville on you for this kind of patter.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I should throw you down the stairs and plant Jimmy Saville on you for this kind of patter.

You’re better than this, man. How the fuck can Vic Mackey stand on the same pedestal as Tony Soprano or Avon Barksdale? He can’t, it’s as simple as that. Mackey ain’t even up there with Walter White or Jon Snow. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

You’re better than this, man. How the fuck can Vic Mackey stand on the same pedestal as Tony Soprano or Avon Barksdale? He can’t, it’s as simple as that. Mackey ain’t even up there with Walter White or Jon Snow. 

It's an ensemble situation, Chiklis, Goggins, Pounder, Whittaker in the same scene is as good as acting gets.

21 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Mad Men is excellent. The Fugitive is the best American television series of all time, though.

Couldn't get into mad men at all, just seemed like a overtly stylised fantasy world of what life allegedly used to be like with zero likeable characters. I also found the constant smoking annoying. 

Also, the Fugitive is a film mate starring Woody Harrelson Ford and the guy with the bionic cock. 

Runs

13 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Couldn't get into mad men at all, just seemed like a overtly stylised fantasy world of what life allegedly used to be like with zero likeable characters. I also found the constant smoking annoying. 

Also, the Fugitive is a film mate starring Woody Harrelson Ford and the guy with the bionic cock. 

Runs

I tried watching Mad Men three times and I just didn't get into it either. There must be something about it that I'm missing as it's highly rated but it seemed like a live action cartoon.

6 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I tried watching Mad Men three times and I just didn't get into it either. There must be something about it that I'm missing as it's highly rated but it seemed like a live action cartoon.

I think people like the lifestyle of hard drinking, wealth and ye olde womanising. 

56 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I think people like the lifestyle of hard drinking, wealth and ye olde womanising. 

Is that what the programme was about? I didn't get that from it. I might try again one day when I have nothing else to do. But there's always paint drying somewhere. 

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The West Wing was fantastic. A bit twee,yes,but brilliantly written and acted.

I've only done one episode and can't see myself going back for more. It just really rubbed me the wrong way immediately. 

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Mad Men was the epitome of style over substance. You could skip a whole season and miss nothing. 

• Upvote 3

Mad men was great for falling asleep to. Watchable, but slow and generally quiet, so didn’t suck you in so you’d stay awake binge watching and wouldn’t wake you up with guns or music popping off.

The first 2 series of House of Cards were great, then it started to tail off drastically.

53 minutes ago, belarus said:

Mad men was great for falling asleep to. Watchable, but slow and generally quiet, so didn’t suck you in so you’d stay awake binge watching and wouldn’t wake you up with guns or music popping off.

The first 2 series of House of Cards were great, then it started to tail off drastically.

House of cards was OK bit British version was miles better though

Mad Men (like Entourage) was great recession TV: We went onto it after enduring Deadwood (who wants that grimness when you've had a shit day at work again and your job's on the line)? Mad Men by contrast was bright, beautiful caricatures drinking smoking and fornicating which was just the ticket to lift the recessionary gloom. 

Ironically I've rewatched both and put Deadwood streets ahead of Mad Men.  Reckon it would have endured in brighter economic times when people can stomach some grit in their choice of entertainment.

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

House of cards was OK bit British version was miles better though

Will give it a blast mate.

Im currently watching Breaking Bad for the 3rd time. When I say watching it, I mean I’ve got it on when I’m cooking, exercising or falling asleep.

Wasn't a fan of either Mad Men or West Wing, both well made and can see the appeal, just not my bag. West Wing is like CSI I reckon in terms of its lack of realism, a sort of anti-Wire. 

"There are Cubans in those boats who want a better life and by God I say we help them."

"You and me Senator are opposite peas in opposite pods, yet I respect you. Matthew Chapter 4 vs AIDS said beseech unto me my Republican brothers. And by God that's just what we'll do. 

I bet the White House, even before and after Trump, is basically just an office with people trying to figure out the photocopier and knock off early.