You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This show is so fucking good you notice more the more you watch it.

Before Jackie Jnr gets killed both Tony and Ralphie drop into conversation with their respective Mrs that he's been mixing with drug dealers, as they're trying to lay the narrative groundwork for him being killed. Brilliant writing. 

• 2 weeks later...

David Chase has recently done a round table event during which he referred to the final diner scene as "the death scene," according to the NME. 

He was challenged on this, as he'd appeared to let the cat out of the bag and replied "fuck you, guys" while laughing. 

I think we'd all came to that conclusion anyway, but that seems like official confirmation. 

46 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

David Chase has recently done a round table event during which he referred to the final diner scene as "the death scene," according to the NME. 

He was challenged on this, as he'd appeared to let the cat out of the bag and replied "fuck you, guys" while laughing. 

I think we'd all came to that conclusion anyway, but that seems like official confirmation. 

I saw a very interesting video analysis of the final scene giving all the clues that lead to how the show ends. The scriptwriter also said that all the clues to how the show ends are scattered across the show.

10 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

First episode of season 6 "members only" a fat gambler with the initials ts is shot in a diner by an assassin in a members only jacket.

In the final scene a fat gambler with the initials ts is sat in a restaurant when a man in a members only jacket enters

There's also meant to be a "third time lucky" hint too. 

There'd been two previous attempts to kill Tony/threats to his life. The black blokes who were hired to whack him and Uncle Junior shooting him (or the bit when they all went into hiding. Then, in the build up to the last scene, Meadow twice struggles to park her car, but gets it right on the third attempt. Does that point to Members Only man being another person getting it done on the third time of asking? 

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

That was with Alan Sepinwall and Matt Zoller Seitz for their book The Sopranos Sessions. It's been out for well over a year though, it's not new news.

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

First episode of season 6 "members only" a fat gambler with the initials ts is shot in a diner by an assassin in a members only jacket.

In the final scene a fat gambler with the initials ts is sat in a restaurant when a man in a members only jacket enters

54 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

There's also meant to be a "third time lucky" hint too. 

There'd been two previous attempts to kill Tony/threats to his life. The black blokes who were hired to whack him and Uncle Junior shooting him (or the bit when they all went into hiding. Then, in the build up to the last scene, Meadow twice struggles to park her car, but gets it right on the third attempt. Does that point to Members Only man being another person getting it done on the third time of asking? 

Spoiler alert for people that have not seen it... 

Tony Soprano's favourite scene in the godfather is when the guy in the restaurant goes into the restroom to get the gun and take out the targets. 

Biggest one for me though is quite subtle... When Tony Soprano is in a coma he goes walking towards people who have died but he come back to life. The screen goes bright white and then his family appear through Tony's eyes. In the final scene you see the restaurant door opening a few times through Tony's eyes and at the end you see his daughter come through the door and the screen goes pitch black. 

47 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Wonder who popped him? Unsanctioned hit by someone with personal loyalty to Phil I reckon.

The strange thing about the guy who walked in the restaurant with the members only jacket on, I'm pretty sure that was the only episode he appeared in and yet he is listed in the credits as one of the characters/actors.

5 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Wonder who popped him? Unsanctioned hit by someone with personal loyalty to Phil I reckon.

I always thought it was the NY mob (Butch maybe)?. The NJ crew are all but wiped out and as we see when Patsy Parisi's doing his rounds - corporate America is moving in and wiping out the Mom and Pop businesses that is their bread and butter. A hollowed out NJ mafia with declining market share is ripe for decapitation.

• 3 weeks later...