You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chris Nolan doesn't make bad films.

He's like the Michelle Keegan of filmakers.

Insomnia wasnt a good remake.

EDIT: Just seen Jules post. Hehe right on cue. The remake didnt have the exhausting insomnia feel and it had to much HOOHAR in it. I honestly think the original is better.

It's good film. The themes, especially the main character, may differ but the remake is a good movie. Stop being a snob, Thants.

Ha! I watched Insomnia and The Prestige at the cinema. Insomnia didnt grab me at all, I then watched the original about 3 weeks later and it was a better film, better atmosphere, made a lot more sense.

The Prestige was ok. I doubt I'd ever watch it again.

I'm not going in for all this Nolan sucking saying all his films are great because they quite clearly are not.

# The Dark Knight (2008) - very good

# The Prestige (2006) - ok

# Batman Begins (2005) - very good

# Insomnia (2002/I) - looked good, felt wrong. Not a good remake.

# Memento (2000) - very good

His first two I've not watched yet.

It's not snobbery, it's opinion. I'd go gaga over PT Anderson as he's bordering on genius at such an early age of direction. Nolan has a long way to go yet.

Night x

Thants

What about Insomnia didn't make sense? You've rated three of his films as very good and not given very valid reasons for disliking the other two. The Prestige is a very good film, although repeat viewings mean that the story doesn't have the same impact, which is why you probably don't want to see it again.

It is snobbery, you don't want to give affirmation to a film maker that now has to be considered mainstream after the Dark Knight. You then go and a cite PTA, a film maker who I like very much, as if he's a badge of art house, indie cinema. But I think you have a problem with accepting the mainstream for what it is.

Any type of film by any film maker can be enjoyed, whether it makes £1 or £100million dollars.

Not looking for an argument either, just debate.

Think it's catching because I ain't been to bed and had about an hour the night before. Just been down to make a cup of tea and knocked all the milk over so I'm guessing I defo need a bit of shut eye but it just wont happen.

Furious wanking never worked, it just made feel more awake and rather randy.

Go on, rub it in. I hate all you sleepers thinking you're the dogs bollocks.

I admire how you got rubbing in and dog's bollocks all in the same sentence. :thumbsup:

It's midnight here - time to go beddy byes, although I might wake up the wife before I go to sleep - need a little dopamine release if you know what I mean.

As for remakes, you should watch them as a new project. If you want the old one, but with better sound and colour, wait for the "digitally remastered" version of the old one. The remake is a new film in its own right. It's no different really to watching the film of a book you loved - it'll never be the same as your book, but it still doesn't make it crap.

I'd like to see more films remade.

What about Insomnia didn't make sense? You've rated three of his films as very good and not given very valid reasons for disliking the other two. The Prestige is a very good film, although repeat viewings mean that the story doesn't have the same impact, which is why you probably don't want to see it again.

It is snobbery, you don't want to give affirmation to a film maker that now has to be considered mainstream after the Dark Knight. You then go and a cite PTA, a film maker who I like very much, as if he's a badge of art house, indie cinema. But I think you have a problem with accepting the mainstream for what it is.

Any type of film by any film maker can be enjoyed, whether it makes £1 or £100million dollars.

Not looking for an argument either, just debate.

I know, I know. Debate is good mnuh.

Jules, although you keep saying it is, it definitely isn’t snobbery. I like The Sure Thing, Anchorman, Face/Off, The Sound Of Music, It’s a Wonderful Life, ET (pre-messing); hundreds of mainstream films. But for me The Prestige and Insomnia 02 definitely doesn’t fall into the ‘great’ category.

TBH I can’t actually remember much of either film so obviously they didn’t have any impact on me. As stated I watched Insomnia 2002 before the original so I had no idea how it compared and went into it excited because I loved Momento. However the film just didn’t work for me. It was a slow stakeout film but lacked the atmosphere needed to pull it off, especially the feeling of Insomnia that Pacino was supposed to project onto the screen. I didn’t feel it at all.

The Prestige I cant remember much of at all. Maybe it was because I just didn’t get caught up in the battle and saw the ending coming way back. I’m happy to give it another watch if you think it’s worth a 2nd viewing.

RR, I don’t want the old one with better sound and colour, I’m happy watching them like they were, although the new print of It’s a Wonderful Life I watched at Christmas was something special. There are remakes and there are ‘updates’. The 90% shite remakes of 70’s horrors and J-Horrors I don’t want at all. It’s cheap shit cinema, like Boyzone getting to No.1 with a cover version of Gimme Shelter. It’s utterly wrong.

There have been a handful of re-works that have worked (for me): Solaris (and I have the original, read the book), War of The Worlds (well I liked it) to name 2.

I know, I know. Debate is good mnuh.

Jules, although you keep saying it is, it definitely isn’t snobbery. I like The Sure Thing, Anchorman, Face/Off, The Sound Of Music, It’s a Wonderful Life, ET (pre-messing); hundreds of mainstream films. But for me The Prestige and Insomnia 02 definitely doesn’t fall into the ‘great’ category.

TBH I can’t actually remember much of either film so obviously they didn’t have any impact on me. As stated I watched Insomnia 2002 before the original so I had no idea how it compared and went into it excited because I loved Momento. However the film just didn’t work for me. It was a slow stakeout film but lacked the atmosphere needed to pull it off, especially the feeling of Insomnia that Pacino was supposed to project onto the screen. I didn’t feel it at all.

The Prestige I cant remember much of at all. Maybe it was because I just didn’t get caught up in the battle and saw the ending coming way back. I’m happy to give it another watch if you think it’s worth a 2nd viewing.

RR, I don’t want the old one with better sound and colour, I’m happy watching them like they were, although the new print of It’s a Wonderful Life I watched at Christmas was something special. There are remakes and there are ‘updates’. The 90% shite remakes of 70’s horrors and J-Horrors I don’t want at all. It’s cheap shit cinema, like Boyzone getting to No.1 with a cover version of Gimme Shelter. It’s utterly wrong.

There have been a handful of re-works that have worked (for me): Solaris (and I have the original, read the book), War of The Worlds (well I liked it) to name 2.

Fair enough. I thought Insomnia was very atmospheric, the log jams, the ice flows, the damp air, I thought they all were very evocative. I thought Pacino looked restless throughout most of the film and by the end, he looked shattered. I like the original too but I do think the remake has many merits.

Think insomnia is generally a woman thing as most of the time they just sit on their arse watching shit tv and eating loads of biscuits and then wonder why they're not tired enough to sleep.

Jibber jabbering all day long is not tiring work!

Very good!

Fair enough. I thought Insomnia was very atmospheric, the log jams, the ice flows, the damp air, I thought they all were very evocative. I thought Pacino looked restless throughout most of the film and by the end, he looked shattered. I like the original too but I do think the remake has many merits.

Well I'll give it another viewng, maybe on a film marathan (not done one of those for ages)

I saw the remake of the Wicker Man recently and thought it was shite.

Good. Very good. I presumed you'd watched the terrific original before setting yourself such an arduous task! Holywood being very very bad.

(and no I havent watched it and am not going to!)