You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 4 months later...
On 13/01/2020 at 15:36, Bjornebye said:

Just back from the doctors. Still struggling to sleep every single night. Been prescribed some Zopicolne. For the first time in years I cannot wait to go to bed tonight. 

I had low salt levels(hyponatremia) a couple of years back and had restless legs which literally kept me awake at night for at least 5/7 days,it was a nightmare. Tablets didn't help but curing the underlying condition did. Is there something more going on? Have you had blood tests and so forth?

I spend my entire life awake. I don't know how mr rb14 puts up with me anyway, least of all when I'm awake yet again in the early hours, for hours. And hours. I reckon there are about two nights a month I get NO sleep at all, two or three nights a week I get between 2-3 hours, three nights a week I get between 3-4 hours and maybe one or two nights I'll manage 4-5. But truthfully, I think I'm being optimistic with those figures. I stopped wearing a fitbit watch because it just depressed me when I read how much sleep it said I wasn't getting. I already fucking know thanks fitbit. 

It's mostly, but not exclusively, when I've got shit on my mind. I put it down to being a worrier. I reckon I could get an Olympic medal for worrying. And for not sleeping. But I also don't sleep when I'm not worrying, so it's not a given. My mum was a poor sleeper. Maybe it's genetic?

And what the fuck is it that means I eat dinner, and pud, start to watch the latest Gomorrah or whatever, and ten minutes later I'm nodding off? 9pm. I'm like "Noooo dickhead. Stay awake. You won't sleep later." So I stay awake, absolutely knackered, dying to go to bed. Until half midnight and I get in to bed, and BOING - wide awake time. And yes, I've tried just letting myself nod off permanently after dinner. I just wake up half an hour later and still don't sleep later on. I sometimes get the train back from Denham to Marylebone (don't ask). 35 bastard minute journey. Shitty uncomfortable seat. 15 minutes in, bang; out for the count. Really? Hello? 

And yet I seem to function OK on it. I have a backup plan for use in emergency. I only use it if there's been a full-on regular period of totally shiiiiit sleep, but I have something massive coming up, when I need to be at my best. Or I'm just at the end of my tether. Then, and only then, I'll take half a 10mg Valium. It's still not a certainty, but It usually gets me five or six hours. I had a half two nights ago. That was the first since early December. 

Thank fuck I have a very tolerant Mr rb14. He's next to me right now, asleep, I'm happy to say. Bless. 

And I so miss Liz the dirty fucking bitter slaaaag. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I had low salt levels(hyponatremia) a couple of years back and had restless legs which literally kept me awake at night for at least 5/7 days,it was a nightmare. Tablets didn't help but curing the underlying condition did. Is there something more going on? Have you had blood tests and so forth?

Not had blood tests or anything. Ive fallen asleep within seconds last 3 nights of taking them but still wake up around 2am for half an hour then bam I'm out again. Gonna do this course then if nothings dramatically improved once I come off them then maybe I need to look at other reasons. 

Restless legs? is that where they kick out randomly and wake you up? An ex of mine used to kick out in her sleep every night about 10 times and wake me up not her though. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Not had blood tests or anything. Ive fallen asleep within seconds last 3 nights of taking them but still wake up around 2am for half an hour then bam I'm out again. Gonna do this course then if nothings dramatically improved once I come off them then maybe I need to look at other reasons. 

Restless legs? is that where they kick out randomly and wake you up? An ex of mine used to kick out in her sleep every night about 10 times and wake me up not her though. 

Restless legs is where you just cant keep your legs still for more than a few seconds before they cramp or become extremely painful and you have to move them straight away. Its generally a bigger problem at night rather than through the day as you are moving mostly. Levels of nutrients in the blood such as salt,potassium,iron etc need to be checked as they can have a massive effect on your body,its muscles and if or how you sleep.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

Restless legs is where you just cant keep your legs still for more than a few seconds before they cramp or become extremely painful and you have to move them straight away. Its generally a bigger problem at night rather than through the day as you are moving mostly. Levels of nutrients in the blood such as salt,potassium,iron etc need to be checked as they can have a massive effect on your body,its muscles and if or how you sleep.

Sounds awful that. Mines my mind. Won’t switch off. 

• 1 year later...