You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 11 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Two houses either side of mine were burgled on Monday night, the bastards smashed their patio doors & got in without anybody hearing. I'm not the best sleeper anyway but now any tiny noise in the house & that's me wide awake despite having a burglar alarm fitted (unlike the poor sods who were robbed).

Last couple of nights I've just got up about 4am & went downstairs to put the lights on & sit on the couch in a zombie-fied state of paranoia.

The exam on the 7th February & the baby due on the 8th were doing enough damage to my sleep without this shit.

Shattered.

Had insomnia for about a decade. All the physical stuff - do exercise, don't drink much caffeine, etc, etc, can help, but it's mainly mental not physical. 

Going for a run doesn't stop people thinking, worrying, attempting to plan for the future, etc, etc. And, in my experience, these are the reasons I don't fucking sleep much.

• 1 year later...

Had this for ages but its getting worse now. I've massively cut back on drinking but the shear fear of going to bed and not being able to sleep drives me to want a drink. The last few weeks have been really bad but last night was beyond the pale. Got in bed and had a read about half 10. Felt a bit sleep after 20 minutes so switched the lamp off and tried. About an hour or so later I was just in that dreamy moment where you are about to nod-off and some cunt who lives across the road pulled up in his car on speaker with some loud as fuck woman. Jolted me out of my sleep and I didn't get a wink until it had already started getting light. That lasted about an hour.

I'm off work so managed to get just over an hour sometime between half 9 and 12. Now I'm sat here with my eyes stinging knowing full well even if I tried to sleep now, I would have no chance. Just lying there with my eyes closed is absolute hell. can't switch off and I keep getting annoying itches overtime I get comfy which I can't ignore. I've just googled it and its apparently common with people who struggle to sleep. That or I've got scabies. 

Going to have to go back to the doctors and get some sleeping tablets. I'm dreading the depression conversation. 

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Anything is better than this pal.

Have you tried CBD? It's a winner for getting into REM state

Never really agreed with weed whenever I've tried apart from space cakes which just make me laugh. Whats the difference? 

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Stig, have you tried ASMR?

I've just googled this fully expecting S.W.A.T through the door within 30 seconds. I still have no idea what it is? 

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

CBD has no THC in it, so it is not like smoking - there is a thread on here somewhere

As for the REM state - those socks have to help

Thanks for the bump (oo'er) I'll have a look now. I thought that was just a pain relief thing. 

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I've just googled this fully expecting S.W.A.T through the door within 30 seconds. I still have no idea what it is? 

Just something (sounds, visuals) to put you in a state of mind where sleep is a possibility.

I rarely get to sleep without it.

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Just something (sounds, visuals) to put you in a state of mind where sleep is a possibility.

I rarely get to sleep without it.

I'm going to try this and wake up to myself fucking the kettle or something aren't I.

I'm defo going to try it though. Thanks mate 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Had this for ages but its getting worse now. I've massively cut back on drinking but the shear fear of going to bed and not being able to sleep drives me to want a drink. The last few weeks have been really bad but last night was beyond the pale. Got in bed and had a read about half 10. Felt a bit sleep after 20 minutes so switched the lamp off and tried. About an hour or so later I was just in that dreamy moment where you are about to nod-off and some cunt who lives across the road pulled up in his car on speaker with some loud as fuck woman. Jolted me out of my sleep and I didn't get a wink until it had already started getting light. That lasted about an hour.

I'm off work so managed to get just over an hour sometime between half 9 and 12. Now I'm sat here with my eyes stinging knowing full well even if I tried to sleep now, I would have no chance. Just lying there with my eyes closed is absolute hell. can't switch off and I keep getting annoying itches overtime I get comfy which I can't ignore. I've just googled it and its apparently common with people who struggle to sleep. That or I've got scabies. 

Going to have to go back to the doctors and get some sleeping tablets. I'm dreading the depression conversation. 

https://thrive.kaiserpermanente.org/care-near-you/northern-california/sanjose/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2015/10/sleep-restriction-rev2_tcm28-557887.pdf

Struggling since my dad died.Doctor gave me 14 sleeping tablets and I've taken all them over 12 weeks so average of less than 1 a week. They helped. But cant keep taking them. 

Used to never have trouble getting sleep but now it takes me ages get off. Then I end up tired next day with the first thought "hope I sleep tonight"  which makes it even worse.