You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I fucking hate it. For the last few weeks I've been waking up about 3am and can't get back to sleep. I've been up for 2 hours, I'm absolutely bloody exhausted and I can't keep functioning on 3 hours sleep a night. Any suggestions apart from the usual obvious ones like cutting out coffee and stuff?

I fucking hate it. For the last few weeks I've been waking up about 3am and can't get back to sleep. I've been up for 2 hours, I'm absolutely bloody exhausted and I can't keep functioning on 3 hours sleep a night. Any suggestions apart from the usual obvious ones like cutting out coffee and stuff?

Three years ago I used to be able to sleep right through to 6am every morning, no matter how early I went to bed. Then I started living with the ex. I started waking up at 5, then 4-30 and then 4. We split up in January of last year and I haven't been able to get my sleep patterns back to normal.

The thing is I don't feel tired and always wake up fully-refreshed. Bizarre.

I just read about insomnia, and the doc's tips was fairly simple:

• You should start off with setting a time to get out of bed in the morning, let's say at 7am. The 7am wake up time should not be deviated from under any circumstance. If you didn't go to sleep until 5am, you should still get up at 7am. This should be done in the weekends aswell.

• If you go to bed and don't fall asleep within 20 minutes or so from closing your eyes, you should get out of bed again. Never just lay there for hours if you don't get to sleep.

• You could try sleeping pills, just to get your body the needed rest, but if you use those for more than 2 weeks or so they will become ineffectual.

There were more aswell I think, but those were the tips I remember now. The part about setting a wake up time and keep it no matter what, I can recall was the most important one.

Good luck anyway.

I normally give up after an hour of trying, go downstairs, watch tv/dvd and relax and normally fall asleep on the sofa within half an hour.

If I stay in bed, I'll be there thinking, "must get to sleep as it's only X amount of hours before I have to get up" and get annoyed.

I might try the Ghosts method next time.

If you don't already, exercise. Go the gym 4/5 times a week for 45mins - 1hour sessions. Proper leather it on the bike/cross-trainer/rower/treadmill for 1/2 hour then do weights for the rest of it. That'll knacker you and is by far the best way to sort your sleep pattern out.

Also, i'm repeating Kop a bit here, make sure both the time you go to bed and the time you get up and strictly regimented for a while, e.g. always 11pm and 7pm - even at weekends if you can (ha!).

Or, do what i did last night and take a couple of zopiclone to get your rhythm back. GP will give them to you no probs as they're not as mental as proper benzos.

Good luck.

Tell me about it.

I go through phases of insomnia, and for the last month or so I've been in a right twat of one. Sleep for 2 hours, wake for 2 hours, sleep another 2 hours and that's about it with the odd 30-minute nap every now and again. Last night was a bit more extreme, went to bed at 12, was up at 2, back to sleep again at 5, then up again at 6.30 and here I am now.

Shitloads of codine phosphate (4 30mg tabs) helps sometimes, but that gives me loads of lucid dreams, and with my dreams usually being well fucked up anyway that just leaves me feeling just as knackered.

It's a right pain in the arse, I would give my left tezzy for a decent, unbroken 8 hours worth of kip.

There are 2 things you can do , the first is to marry David Baddiel- he wont help with the sleeping as he hasnt slept for years , apparently, but he will keep you company during your insomnic ? periods.

The second is to go and by a bunny suit, then last thing at night hop off down to your nearest allotment and munch your way through half a dozen lettuces. There is a chemical in lettuces which help bring on sleep.

If you take my advice on the second bit , we shall need photographic proof.

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

Reading before sleeping helps me. I find I sleep much better through the night if I've spent even just half an hour or so reading a book before sleeping. Don't know why, but it works for me.

You do need to be able to read though.

Reading works for me too. I always read in bed before I go to sleep and never have a problem having a good sleep.

no advise, just to say thankyou, i have been feeling rank just having 5 hours now, fuck knows what i'd do on 3!!

edit

possibly more sex, the serotonin release from an orgasm might be enough to do the trick. I'll let you know if it works when ive give it a try. you may be waiting a while though.

no advise, just to say thankyou, i have been feeling rank just having 5 hours now, fuck knows what i'd do on 3!!

edit

possibly more sex, the serotonin release from an orgasm might be enough to do the trick. I'll let you know if it works when ive give it a try. you may be waiting a while though.

Yup, for a bloke anyways. The Dopamine release after sex is why so many roll over and go to sleep. Body's natural response so that you can rebuild your spunk levels (technical term) more quickly than if you were expending energy - e.g. apologising for being so quick and then having to make the dinner to make up for it....

I usually find putting a DVD on with the sound down low helps me nod off, or a bit of gentle music. Get yourself some Dean Martin and turn it way down so you can only just hear it, have a sip of horlicks and you'll be off in no time.

I sometimes have to do this because of my tinnitus which keeps me awake from time to time.