You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alonso or Barry?

RedKnight

Alonso or Barry?  

161 members have voted

1. 1. Alonso or Barry?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deleted

That's short-sightedly patronising.

Xabi and Masch should be a perfect partnership on paper, but it simply hasn't been the case lately. Also, I'd feel more comfortable with Barry and Masch if were playing a 4-2-3-1 as it'd be more solid and would allow the four attacking players to roam more freely imo. Anyway enough disscussion, this is the wrong thread for it.

Edited by Stu Monty

That's short-sightedly patronising.

Xabi and Masch should be a perfect partnership on paper, but it simply hasn't been the case lately. Also, I'd feel more comfortable with Barry and Masch if were playing a 4-2-3-1 as it'd be more solid and would allow the four attacking players to roam more freely imo. Anyway enough disscussion, this is the wrong thread for it.

We conceded 10 goals from open play in the league last season, how the fuck are we going to get more solid?

Liverpool - 10

Chelsea - 13

mancs - 15

Arsenal - 19

I went with Xabi, but I can see Barry potentially being better for the team. Adebayor is nowhere near the player Henry is, but the team as a whole functioned better last year without Henry. United got rid of Van Nistelrooy, but changed their shape and were a better side for it. I can see a possibility that, though Barry may not stand out as much as an individual, we may be better as a side with him in it.

Rashid is 100% correct though.

And if he didn't rate Alonso he'd be calling those 90% sheep and accusing them of overrating our own players. It's classic rash.

I know you are banned everywhere else for being a cunt, but for the good of the forum, please don't encourage Rash when he's acting like one.

And if he didn't rate Alonso he'd be calling those 90% sheep and accusing them of overrating our own players. It's classic rash.

I know you are banned everywhere else for being a cunt, but for the good of the forum, please don't encourage Rash when he's acting like one.

Well I think he is right and I dont think saying what he said makes him a cunt either.

If someone had suggested that we should swap Alonso for Barry in January he would have been hounded off the ground and Rashid did not say 100%, he left 10% as there always will be someone to have other ideas.

I voted Alonso. I think he is more intelligent than Barry, has a far better range of passing and basically has more class than Barry.

Don't get me wrong I rate Barry, he is quite versatile with regards to covering on the left or at left back, but for me he isn't a patch on Xabi.

I've heard it mentioned that Xabi and Rafa had a bit of a fall out when Pako left.

That coupled with the proposed rule were each team has to include 5 native players (or whatever figure it is) means i'm preparing myself for life without Alonso.

I appreciate everything he has done for the club and wish him all the best for the future.

Quote from: ShanksLegend on Today at 02:28:29 PM

We are in talks with Villa today to close the deal and to get permission to talk to Gareth. Looks like 17 fee million raising to 18.5 including finnan.. Although were just waiting for Villa to come back to us over a term we have put to them.

We are looking to give Barry a 4 year deal.

Rafa wants Barry on Tuedays plane to Norway, although Rafa is aware he has a lot concern over Barrys condition due to lack of training, games

:party:

Xabi. He's good enough.

Can the owners please cough up some fresh dough for Rafa to sign a shit hot winger without having to sell first? I mean, despite him spending more than any manager in football history every year for all the seasons he has been here?

It is only tight cos Rafa wants him. If we did a vote back in January before the rumours, 90% would choose Alonso. You could call this the sheep vote.

We could have called that the 'favouring your own players' vote.

Remember the Momo or Ronaldinho thread?

from the offish

Red assists 2007/08

23 Steven Gerrard

11 Dirk Kuyt

8 Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel, Jermaine Pennant

7 Peter Crouch, Yossi Benayoun

5 Andriy Voronin, John Arne Riise

4 Harry Kewell

3 Javier Mascherano, Lucas Leiva

2 Alvaro Arbeloa, Sami Hyypia, Steve Finnan, Jamie Carragher, Fabio Aurelio

1 Sebastian Leto, Xabi Alonso, Pepe Reina

10 unassisted

On the basis that Alonso has to go for Barry to arrive; simply, next season, who would you prefer here? Which player would you want at the club for the coming season?

Barry,because of the balance he'll give on our left side.And i don't see Barry coming in to replace Alonso.I believe Mascherano has already done that,imo.

Guest TK-421

People who quote Xabi's assists and goals are missing the point in my view.

Anyway, Xabi for me because I think he's a unique player and a very good one.

Concede less than 10?

Thats going to be very,very difficult, the closest we have been earlier was 17 in the 05/06 season, we did concede 14 goals from set pieces last season compared to only 5 in 06/07 and 05/06, in fact 14 is the highest number ever under Rafa.