You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Photographers make your interest known

Nick Leeson

Playing around with DOF and all the other settings with my two favorite subjects - the cats and garden.

I'll post a couple here, but then some more in the proper threads.

I'm just blown away by the sharpness/detail....I should have had this camera years ago.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you're interested in street photography this is a good little film. It seems as though the Met have taken on board recent lessons about street photography.

[YOUTUBE]FJH9F7Hcluo[/YOUTUBE]

And the British SIA recent guidance on street photography.

http://www.bsia.co.uk/web_images/Securit-e-News/November%202011/photography_guide_002.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking at trying my hand at some video editing, and was wondering if my camera would do? I have a Nikon D5000 but only one of the lenses I have with it does decent videos and only really close up shots. Is there a lens I could get for it that would let me focus on things further then 3 feet away, or am I better off just buying a brand new video camera?

Im looking at trying my hand at some video editing, and was wondering if my camera would do? I have a Nikon D5000 but only one of the lenses I have with it does decent videos and only really close up shots. Is there a lens I could get for it that would let me focus on things further then 3 feet away, or am I better off just buying a brand new video camera?

The D5000 shoots video at the following resolutions:

VGA 640x424 / 24 fps

QVGA 320x216 / 24fps

HD 1280x720 / 24 fps

VGA and QVGA are pretty much unusable these days - think of the crappy videos cell phones used to put out a few years ago. 1280x720 @ 24fps is fine.

The thing with shooting video on a DSLR is that you need decent lenses, probably more so than if you were just shooting stills. The ability to focus on objects further than 3 feet away is a function of the aperture you're using.

I don't know what lens you're currently using, but I've found that prime lenses work best with video from these DSLR's - even when compared to the top of the line zooms (L Series from Canon and Nikons pro range).

You can't go wrong with a good prime lens. The 50mm f1.8 is a good lens to start with, affordable, fast and very sharp. I'd get the D version and avoid the G. If you're finding it a bit long on your D5000 - as it's equivalent to a 75mm (50mm x 1.5 crop factor) then you can look into either a 24mm/28mm or a 35mm. But those will cost significantly more.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any more questions!

Okay, by popular demand, I've managed to get a few images processed and online for inclusion here after much chatting about it. After talking the talk, it's time to walk the walk. These, and more to follow at a later stage are from a recent week in Spain.

IMG_0118.JPG

Lamps

IMG_0147_1.jpg

Skater

IMG_0191.JPG

Sun through steam

IMG_0233C.jpg

Malaga Sidestreet

IMG_0233M.jpg

Sidestreet Mono

IMG_0271.JPG

Roasting nuts

IMG_0300.JPG

Bullring

IMG_0328.JPG

Silhouette

IMG_0351.JPG

Sunset

IMG_0371.JPG

Writing

IMG_0374.JPG

Jambons

IMG_0376.jpg

Cines - The sight of a small independent cinema in the heart of Malaga brought a little bit of joy to my heart. The wrought iron balcony and the kiosk on the corner where cinema-goers can walk up and buy a ticket as and when they choose had such a strong effect, thus, I made this one sepia to go with the feelings of the time.

IMG_0377.JPG

Kiosk

IMG_0388.JPG

Bookstall. This was another image that I was pleased to get. I'd taken a few of the books and other compositions, but with the battery dying on its arse, I had one shot left, and then the customer walked up, browsed a bit and I waited until the transaction was made to click. The inclusion of the bookseller and customer give an extra dimension that wasn't there with just the rows of books, and the blurred action adds its own effect.

Sorry to burst your bubble, Truefan, but if you think that's HDR, you've a lot to learn.

Raininblood is a whole lot closer to the mark, especially the sunrise shot. The lighting on the top of the church steeple and the top right of the office block is inconsistent with the rest of the image and is lost in the sky. True HDR would also not give this result.

I was given a simple HDR guide on flickr.

Take several shots from same spot, different exposures etc. Merge together in photoshop.

Do you know of any reasonable guides to HDR?

I think D'ohnuts was being a bit harsh there. HDR in its normal sense is just using multiple exposures to bring out detail in the shadows and recovering detail lost in highlights - the picture looks relatively normal, but just has the detail recovered.

However, HDR has become a term which is now used to combine exposures to give them a whole tonal range, such as Rainblood's above. I don't think there is a right or wrong about the use of the term, but I've seen some HDR enthusiasts behave like attack dogs on forums over the purity of the term HDR.

Here's a place to start, with other links.

The ultimate guide to HDR photography | Pixiq

pool-52545827@N00

In the image tags you have put a link to the page the photo is on rather than the actual URL of the photo itself.

On Flickr go to Share above your photo and select BB code then copy and paste that into your post and it should display.

I'm sure they used to have a bit which gave you a direct link to the images itself but I can't see one on there now.

4799345763_fe42e3cb55.jpg

Croyde Bay 1 by rgbevan71, on Flickr

I'm thinking of getting a compact system camera as a DSLR is just too big. I previously had a Canon G4 and am now considering a Sony NEX5N. Does anyone know how good these are and what if any difference I could expect to see over a Canon G series. I'm just a P&S guy at the moment.

It's a good, competent, well thought of camera, let down by a limited range of lenses at the moment. Sony say they are working hard to rectify that though. Unlike the micro 4/3 system cameras, Sony have bigger sensors that are positioned close to the lens because their camera bodies are slimmer, which in turn means the lenses have to be bigger because they're closer to the sensor. However they are promising more pancake (smaller) lenses soon.

The one area it struggles with is automatic white balance. If you're taking indoor portrait shots you're better setting the white balance manually.

The Canon G Series (G11 and G12) are excellent cameras, but they don't have the scope of the Sony on terms of upgrading.

It's a trade off - Canon's will have an all-in-one package with a zoom lens covering a number of different focal distances, giving you a range of options in your photography straight away. Sony is a system where you're going to collect lenses over a period of time, but will be far more versatile in the long run. It will mean, of course, greater expense, but those lenses will always work with the updated Sony bodies and better sensors as they're released over the years.