You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

fear of flying

windass

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Diazepam. That's what I take. No really, it is. Sorted. Happy flying.
A friend of mine takes that . It really helps him. Before that he had been known to buy a ticket and then turn around at the gate. Now he has a beer gets on board pops a tab and has a sleep until he lands.

A friend of mine takes that . It really helps him. Before that he had been known to buy a ticket and then turn around at the gate. Now he has a beer gets on board pops a tab and has a sleep until he lands.

I'd got to the stage where I was drinking as much vodka as I could get down myself before getting on the plane and still hating every second of the flight. Went to see my gp who just told me I couldn't keep doing that and prescribed me diazepam there and then. These days I get to the airport, have a couple of cheeky vodkas, take 2 pills before I get on the plane and generally sleep for the first hour of the flight. I pop one more when I wake up, depending on the length of the flight. Never have any problem.

You didn't mistakenly think they were suppositories did you?

If I'd have thought that would have helped, they'd have gone up there as well. If someone had a gun to my kid's head, and they'd let them go if a) I took a short flight, or b) I had sex with a rancid, stinking, elderly vagrant who was covered in weeping pustules I would sleep with the tramp a hundred times over.

Ive always said I hate flying, so when I flew from Manchester a few weeks ago, I got 3 double shot bottles of JD for £7 from the duty free and I was sound.

And then last night our plane was delayed for two hours, and there was no bar in Kos airport, so I was shitting it, but when I got on the plane I was sound.

Proud of myself I am.

If I'd have thought that would have helped, they'd have gone up there as well. If someone had a gun to my kid's head, and they'd let them go if a) I took a short flight, or b) I had sex with a rancid, stinking, elderly vagrant who was covered in weeping pustules I would sleep with the tramp a hundred times over.

What if he made you sleep with the tramp whilst taking a short flight?

I don't mind flying personally. I quite enjoy the taking off but get very bored very quickly once where up there.

I went to a British Airways fear of flying course in which they do some theory and also take you up in a jet. The only advice I can give is to ask yourself how many people you know personally that have died in a plane then think about the probabilities. However we know that it's not rational so that won't work.

I am trying Hypnotherapy now.

Ive missed out on things like Istanbul, Athens, holidays with friends and family. All the lads are going on a golfing holiday to Spain soon, so I'll be missing out on that. I haven't left these shores since 1985. I would like to be able to go and see my best mate in Key West Florida but don't see it happening.

Ive missed out on things like Istanbul, Athens, holidays with friends and family. All the lads are going on a golfing holiday to Spain soon, so I'll be missing out on that. I haven't left these shores since 1985. I would like to be able to go and see my best mate in Key West Florida but don't see it happening.

must be awful for you! have you got advice from the doctor etc?

I used to be petrefied of flying but then took a job that required 8 flights a week. I've moved around a bit since then but still fly on average 4 times a week. Basically it was just regular travelling that helped me get over my fear. I also got to fly in the flight deck and that helped greatly.

For anyone that cannot fly at all and it is going to affect them long term, pay for a fear of flying course. It will help and give you the ability to enjoy a major part of your life, i.e. holidays abroad, away European Matches, etc.

I just don't get the whole fear of flying thing, man up the lot of you.

Does anybody know why you are told to adopt the crash position in the event of an emergency?

It's so your head is ducked to protect you from flying baggage/duty free bags in the aircraft on impact.