You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFO's: do you believe?

Kopite

It defies probability that there isn’t intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. However, I doubt this shit is alien. And it’s deffo not supernatural because that’s just nonsense. So my money is on secret/foreign tech. 

Bob Lazar comes across as fairly believable on this subject and even Joe Rogan appears to buy into his story, which is interesting as he did a show on UFOs and said all the characters he met were all full of shit.

1 hour ago, Chr15 said:

Nope. UFO's, ghosts, vampires, werewolves and zombies don't exist.

Fairies do though.  I used to drink with one

I once had my hair cut by a very, very camp gay man.  He asked what I wanted and I said “I want to make me look really handsome “

he said (whilst holding his hands up)

“I may be a fairy but these aren’t magic wands”. Harsh. But fair. 

• Upvote 7

13 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I once had my hair cut by a very, very camp gay man.  He asked what I wanted and I said “I want to make me look really handsome “

he said (whilst holding his hands up)

“I may be a fairy but these aren’t magic wands”. Harsh. But fair. 

You've nearly got enough gags to do a 10 minute set now.

I’ve been telling my youngest, since he was old enough to understand, that he is an alien who we adopted when he crashed his blue rocket in our garden one stormy night.

He was unharmed in the incident apart from a bang to the head that made him lose all memory of his previous life. 

The reality is he comes from a planet called Doh! which has been under attack from a neighbouring planet called Roar! for centuries. 

Max (as we call him) had been sent on a mission to find a new place for the peace loving inhabitants of Doh! to come and live. He was about to return with information that Wakefield might not be the place when the accident happened.

Their loss has been our game. He makes a great kid, for an alien. 

Ive no doubt there are unexplained flying or airbourne objects. That doesnt make them alien as in extra terrestrial in my humble opinion.

The big issue I have with virtually all these pictures is and, it's not often I agree with Elon Musk, that camera technology has increased almost exponentially in the last 20 years, never mind 40 or 50. Almost everyone has a mobi that has at least a 6 to 13 megapixel camera on it yet all the pictures are fuzzy as fuck. Even the cameras in hundred million pound fighter jets produce pictures that are fucking fuzzy.

Neither am I convinced that any aliens travelling at least 4 light years and further from the nearest stars, are going to make the journey in an object that seems to be about the size of an SUV.

You also have to question why any being making such travel over light years distances, would just pop into the atmosphere for a few fleeting seconds?

So, I have to say I think 'UFOs' are some other phenomena and not extra terrestrial crafts.

I like how the shape of UFOs has morphed over the years. Alien tech seems to progress at the same rate as the Hollywood contrived image of alien space craft.

60's - bulbous saucers that Flash Gordon would be proud of.

70's/80's - thinner discs highly illuminated

90's - sleeker moulded triangular craft

00's/10's - rotating tic-tacs

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

There are 3 issues here

1. Intelligence is a very rare trait in nature. Of the 6 million species currently on the earth, only 1 is intelligent enough to build a radio and we can assume these odds are similar elsewhere. 

2. we have not been intelligent very long. We’ve been on the planet for about 5 million years but only became intelligent about 30,000 years ago and probably won’t last another 1,000 years. 

3. the nearest likely planet is about 17,500 light years away so 35,000 years to have a conversation

so we need to find an alien who evolved intelligence  (1 in 6 million odds), at the same time as us (30,000/5.3 million = 0.5% chance) and is nearby.   Pretty tiny odds. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

There are 3 issues here

1. Intelligence is a very rare trait in nature. Of the 6 million species currently on the earth, only 1 is intelligent enough to build a radio and we can assume these odds are similar elsewhere. 

2. we have not been intelligent very long. We’ve been on the planet for about 5 million years but only became intelligent about 30,000 years ago and probably won’t last another 1,000 years. 

3. the nearest likely planet is about 17,500 light years away so 35,000 years to have a conversation

so we need to find an alien who evolved intelligence  (1 in 6 million odds), at the same time as us (30,000/5.3 million = 0.5% chance) and is nearby.   Pretty tiny odds. 

tumblr_mz8vfpQNb61qhz95yo1_500.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

There are 3 issues here

If Dolphin's had fingers and opposable thumbs we'd have Star Trek transporters by now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

There are 3 issues here

Love the Fermi Paradox.

Ive no doubt a number of species on Earth are intelligent and even self aware. Only one of them can be called technological intelligence.

FTL travel is not possible at anything above the sub atomic or whatever level is the actual definition. There's been plenty of time for any number of other technological civilisations to traverse the Milky Way galaxy even at sub light speed.

Top estimates put that at 50 million years to as 'low' as 5 million. The question is, would any civilisation endure that long and even if they did, would they continue to have the same desire to traverse and colonise the galaxy?

The nearest exo planet is only 4 light years away, in the Proxima Centauri system, it isnt thought to be habitable. Im pretty sure there are a couple of potentially habitable exo planets within 75 light years of Earth. Again, that doesnt mean they are but it's a lot closer than 17000 LY.

I dont think the leap from single cell to multi cellular life is an easy or frequent one. People go well it happened here so..... But that is based on a sample of one, which isnt good for drawing statistical comparisons and falls into the anthropic trap of 'we're here so others must be.' Not many astrobiologist and astrophysycists subscribe to that methodology.

Personally, I dont believe any intelligent civilisation would invest time, effort and resources to travel the vast distances required, to make fleeting appearances in our atmosphere. Until someone produces unequivical high def pictures or film of an 'alien' craft, I continue to think UFOs or UAPs are just that, unkown aerial phenomena and not aliens.

I think the answer to Fermi's Paradox is technological intelligence is rare, the length of time technological civilisations live is, in cosmological time scales, short. Technological civilisations are therefore likely to be like ships that pass in the night or, light house beams flashing on and off at different locations and times.

The best I think we can hope for is either detecting life on an exo planet due to its biological signature or, a long gone civilisation's techno-signature within or around its host star.

Despite that, the Wow! signal peeks my interest and I hope we find evidence of ET before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

As Spock would say, fascinating!

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Love the Fermi Paradox.

Ive no doubt a number of species on Earth are intelligent and even self aware. Only one of them can be called technological intelligence.

FTL travel is not possible at anything above the sub atomic or whatever level is the actual definition. There's been plenty of time for any number of other technological civilisations to traverse the Milky Way galaxy even at sub light speed.

Top estimates put that at 50 million years to as 'low' as 5 million. The question is, would any civilisation endure that long and even if they did, would they continue to have the same desire to traverse and colonise the galaxy?

The nearest exo planet is only 4 light years away, in the Proxima Centauri system, it isnt thought to be habitable. Im pretty sure there are a couple of potentially habitable exo planets within 75 light years of Earth. Again, that doesnt mean they are but it's a lot closer than 17000 LY.

I dont think the leap from single cell to multi cellular life is an easy or frequent one. People go well it happened here so..... But that is based on a sample of one, which isnt good for drawing statistical comparisons and falls into the anthropic trap of 'we're here so others must be.' Not many atsrobiologist and astrophysycists subscribe to that view.

Personally, I dont believe any intelligent civilisation would invest time, effort and resources to travel the vast distances required, to make fleeting appearances in our atmosphere. Until someone produces unequivical high def pictures or film of an 'alien' craft, I continue to think UFOs or UAPs are just that, unkown aerial phenomena and not aliens.

I think the answer to Fermi's Paradox is technological intelligence is rare, the length of time technological civilisations live is, in cosmological time scales, short. technological civilisations are therefore likely to be like ships that pass in the night or, light house beams flashing on and off at different locations and times.

The best I think we can hope for is either detecting life on an exo planet due to its biological signature or, a long gone civilisation's techno-signature within or around its host star.

Despite that, the Wow! signal peeks my interest and I hope we find evidence of ET before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

As Spock would say, fascinating!

This is the answer. At best we are going to come across bacterial life below the surface of Mars or something weird in the water below the frozen ice on one of the moons of Jupiter. However finding the latter is still decades away so probably not in my lifetime. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

There are 3 issues here

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons. - Douglas Adams