You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Because of where i live, and because of some changes to the Nunavut Liquor Act, and because I've got my shite together I'm getting an ale order barged up.

Now this is exciting times for me. My permit has been approved for:

15 000 ml of beer (150L)

3900ml of Vodka coolers (39L)

40 x 750ml of wine

16 x 26oz of panty removers (uhhh--make NP more attractive for wife) Sour Puss liquor and Baileys

10 x 40oz of vodka, rum, gin.

Woo Hoo happy days!

I'm going shopping on line at the Manitoba Liquor as that's where we order.

What a crate that will be!!!!

150L of beer in my house!!! That's 300 cans!!!!!

15 000 ml of beer? 15,000 ml of beer was 15 litres when I went to school. Same as 3900 ml of vodka coolers was 3.9 litres.

Either that's a typo, or you're going to be a thirsty man NP.

French invented the metric system-what do you expect.

The coolers are for company. Well, the women of the company or my wife's colleagues, who are mostly women.

I'll be damned if some nurses are going to get their dainty healing hands on my Heinekens.

Now, for something completely different---- anyone a sommellier or knows a bit aboot wine, especially white--

I want a dry white wine--the MLCC web site lists it by country and grape.

All help appreciated.

New Zealandish Sauvignon Blanc is nice.

Aye, my favourite white's at the minute are New Zealand's, there producing some amazing wines.

If they have any Albarino snap some of that up as well. It's a cracking spanish wine that i've been drinking a lot of lately.

New Zealand SavB is about the best value at the minute NP obviously wont buy french Chablis. Can I suggest german wine.

It is the thing the wine buiness is keeping to themselves but some of the new german whites are lovely.

Failing that go for Chile or Argentina for value french grapes.

Because of where i live, and because of some changes to the Nunavut Liquor Act, and because I've got my shite together I'm getting an ale order barged up.

Now this is exciting times for me. My permit has been approved for:

15 000 ml of beer (150L)

3900ml of Vodka coolers (39L)

40 x 750ml of wine

16 x 26oz of panty removers (uhhh--make NP more attractive for wife) Sour Puss liquor and Baileys

10 x 40oz of vodka, rum, gin.

Woo Hoo happy days!

I'm going shopping on line at the Manitoba Liquor as that's where we order.

What a crate that will be!!!!

150L of beer in my house!!! That's 300 cans!!!!!

Nunavut Patrick

*shakes head*

don't listen to any of them np - i know your struggle.

when i was younger, you had to go to the liquor board/control and sign for your purchase.

as far as wine goes - new zealand sauvignon blancs are the best, but don't overlook some of the ontario wines and also BC (although 'dry' white wines are less likely).

if you like bone dry wines, then probably italy is your best bet.

what gin did you buy ?

I remember the old days of the LCBO in Ontario when the kept all the booze behind the counter and you had to fill out a form. When I came of legal age (we used to send in the rubbies to get us beer/hooch and buy them off with a mickey) they were just starting to modernize. Ontario is the single biggest purchaser of alcohol in the world. All alcohol sales either go through the government owned LCBO or the brewery consortium-owned The Beer Store (owned by those Belgian cunts InBev, Coors and Sleeman now owned by Sapporo---fucking lament for a country or what).

Look people the coolers are for my wife as is the Baileys and Sour Puss I ordered. Tipsy wife is a frisky wife. So is Mikes Hard Lemonade which I ordered as well. The winter is dark, long and cold and there's no need for Mrs NP to be as frigid as an Arctic Hare on a-35C night.

I ordered Czechovar, Heineken and Lvivskie beer (UKR).

In the Spirits section my dear neko I got Bombay Sapphire Gin and Tanqueray London Dry. Once again the Bombay Sapphire is for when I am in a spohisticated mood, perhaps on the back porch with a Romeo y Juliet overlooking the grazing caribou, the ptarmigan and siksiks (Arctic ground hogs) and contemplating my existential position in the universe.

I also got me some Iceberg Vodka (from real ice bergs!!) and as an ode to my time in Newfoundland Lambs Palm Breeze Rum (no Screech available). For those days when I'm not in a single malt mood (I actually have three or four stashed away and although not a single malt I have a Johnny Blue Label) a bottle of The Famouse Grouse. Fear not, there are no sheep in Nunavut.

As for wine, I heeded the advice and went for a NZ brand as well as Two Oceans from RSA.

My 30 of red broke down to:

10 from Canada, Pelee Island winery in Ontario

6 from (horror! shock!) France, from Thierry and Guy Fat Bastard wine (if you've met me you'll know why)

5 from Australia, Yellow Tail shiraz

4 from Chile

3 from Argentina (Che was born there)

2 from Hungary (I find Egrevin goes well with Danish pork ribs that is my 'signature dish')

I remember the old days of the LCBO in Ontario when the kept all the booze behind the counter and you had to fill out a form.

exactly - i remember going with my dad and browsing the booze catalogue, filling out a form and then waiting for your plain brown box of treats to come rolling down the conveyor belt.

In the Spirits section my dear neko I got Bombay Sapphire Gin and Tanqueray London Dry. Once again the Bombay Sapphire is for when I am in a spohisticated mood, perhaps on the back porch with a Romeo y Juliet overlooking the grazing caribou, the ptarmigan and siksiks (Arctic ground hogs) and contemplating my existential position in the universe.

should work well - you obviously know your gin...and gin-related situations.

I also got me some Iceberg Vodka (from real ice bergs!!) and as an ode to my time in Newfoundland Lambs Palm Breeze Rum (no Screech available).

what about global warming and the melting ice caps, you thoughtless bastard !

10 from Canada, Pelee Island winery in Ontario

6 from (horror! shock!) France, from Thierry and Guy Fat Bastard wine (if you've met me you'll know why)

5 from Australia, Yellow Tail shiraz

4 from Chile

3 from Argentina (Che was born there)

2 from Hungary (I find Egrevin goes well with Danish pork ribs that is my 'signature dish')

i've had some of the wines from pelee island, and you made a fine choice. i had a friend who grew up near there, and shared some of their bounty with me over the years. it's unbelievable that you can't export wines inside of your own country though.....it is unavailable, like most ontario wines, in BC.

most of the other wines are of the 'cheap and cheerful' variety and are decent value for money.

exactly - i remember going with my dad and browsing the booze catalogue, filling out a form and then waiting for your plain brown box of treats to come rolling down the conveyor belt.

should work well - you obviously know your gin...and gin-related situations.

what about global warming and the melting ice caps, you thoughtless bastard !

i've had some of the wines from pelee island, and you made a fine choice. i had a friend who grew up near there, and shared some of their bounty with me over the years. it's unbelievable that you can't export wines inside of your own country though.....it is unavailable, like most ontario wines, in BC.

most of the other wines are of the 'cheap and cheerful' variety and are decent value for money.

You won't find many, if any, Okanagan wines in Ontario yet they've got a selection from Slovenia!! Funny enough these days Niagara and area is trying to capitalize on the Sideways craze offering all sorts of tours and what not last time I was there (2005 or 6). I would've gone on one but none offered Sandra Oh to bang after the tour.

The Iceberg vodka is from Newfoundland where there was an uproar that they were taking it too far and scaring off berg tourists. They managed to reach a compromise to share iceberg alley and only harvest when the tourists weren't around. The bergs calve from Greenland (hahaha-so it's really Danish vodka) and float down--it's the same path they take that sank the Titanic.

Damn NP, are you setting up a liquor store?

Have to for the year, barge only comes once a year otherwise you are stuck with this for selection:

Budweiser

Coors Light

Molson Canadian

Labatt Blue

And usually they're out of two of those, then it has to be flown in (cost-30$). And a handling fee of 10$.

In other words, a flat (crate-24 cans 355ml of Budweiser) costs close to $85 CDN, which is 45 quid or $850 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 Zimbabwean dollars.

You won't find many, if any, Okanagan wines in Ontario yet they've got a selection from Slovenia!! Funny enough these days Niagara and area is trying to capitalize on the Sideways craze offering all sorts of tours and what not last time I was there (2005 or 6). I would've gone on one but none offered Sandra Oh to bang after the tour.

yup - that's the way it works in canada.

if you (or anyone else) is in BC for a summer vacation (or spring/fall), a wine trip to the okanagan is well worth it....good times.