You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

EDUARDO MACIA: "It's all about the right mentality"

RSM

They all look good and I have a lot of hope for them, but what about the first team? That's Rafa's main priority. I am not deliberately being a wanker, but articles like these always sound good,I bet chief scouts from every club have the same type of schedule.

We want the next Anelka and Fabregas and failing that, we need to be buyin top class players that can go straight into the first team who isn't on the European A list. e.g. a Vieira.

It's just a natural talent then ?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually David Ginola is absolutely world class and has battered us more times than once.

:wow:

That has got to be the loosest usage of the term "world class" I have ever come across.

The best discription for Ginola would be "technically gifted", but it takes a hell of a lot more to be defined as world class.

:wow:

That has got to be the loosest usage of the term "world class" I have ever come across.

Ginola was Technically gifted, it takes a hell of a lot more to be defined as world class.

He was far from being world class. undoubtedly talented though.

This thread has become a row over talent over attitude or attitude over talent, because of what the guy said, show some fucking sense he is a scout for footballers obviously wanting talented players is a fucking gimme here, ffs. People seem to think he wants to sign shite players over talented ones because of their attitude gimme a fuckin break.

The arguement put forward as to why this is wrong slates the inadequacies of the ENGLISH players and coaching, hey guess what he is fucking Spainish.

There is nothing wrong with asking a talented player to change aswell, its all about getting the most from that talent to make the team as a whole better, no-one is trying to surgically remove talent, we just need to see it used in the right way, for results not so people can cum over stepovers and back heels, its to win football matches and trophies.

I like this post, nice one.

Why can Quaresma never change? Where are all the fools on the forum who said Ronaldo was utter cack 3 years ago?

Because 3/4 years on his attitude seems to be the same as it was when he was an exceptionally talented youngster. Somthing may click in his head in a few years time, but until it does - the majority of "super" clubs will view purchasing him as a major risk due to the huge fee he will command.

As a Club, we are definitley not in a position to take that risk, although it seems we did consider it at one point and then made a decision to go against signing him based on what we learnt.

Ask yourself why Nani was signed by United and not Quaresma?

Nani was about £10m cheaper and he hasn't turned down United in the past.

Nani cost £17m - it's not like United make purchases based on balancing the books, they can afford who they like.

If Quaresma turned down United, surely that should give you an indication that mentally he might not be up for the challenge and he wants the easy life rather than challenge himself.

He's talented but until he matches that with application, desire and teamwork he will never make it at a big club. Like I said, he still has time on his side to change but he doesn't look like he's ready to make that change just yet.

I can't believe people are now saying I've said we're not looking at talented youngsters. As if we'd sign Sunday league players (although looking at Jordy Brouwer you do wonder).

But I think both Macia and Rafa place too much emphasis on this mentality thing.

The type of player we need to lift us from being grafters - and third/fourth - are often special human beings that require different approaches.

Good coaches know they need a few of these players and they find ways to, if not accommodate them, then get the best out of them. It seems Liverpool are shying away from certain players because we're afraid we can't handle them.

But a wise coach once said that the players that give you the most trouble off the pitch are very often the players that cause the opposition most trouble as well. This coach won the European Championship.

Rafa will have to take a chance at one point because we won't win the league on graft and dedication alone. The opposition teams are, tactically, much better than they ever were.

When was Ginola at his best? When he applied graft, someone said. It can be done in other words.

I also don't see much wrong with Quaresma's comments further up. I don't give a toss what he does in his spare time as long as he's not taking the piss. He says he doesn't go clubbing. Are players not allowed to enjoy their lifestyle?

What's so wrong with not viewing the profession exactly like Rafa Benitez?

Edited by DT

To all the people who are slating Rash about what he said about our scouting: what, precisely, is wrong with his comments? He's not slagging anyone off. He's just saying that it's a little premature to be lauding this guy's work when he is still completely unproven in terms of signing attacking players. That is a fact; it may be inconvenient to the "everything is amazing (but we can't be expected to achieve anything)" agenda, but it's a fact nonetheless.

I agree that he comes across well and gives an insight into the job that many of us have not previously had. However, that bears no relation to the quality of his work. Hopefully, he's as good as he sounds, but he's far from proven at Liverpool.

People seem to be down on our scouting network. But somehow a reserves team filled with the products of said network managed to win the reserves league at a canter. Pretty good indiciatioin that things are going pretty well in my book.

BTW Who signed Nemeth? Pretty good attacking player if you ask me.

But hey, let's not let the facts get in the way of a good moan.

I can't believe people are now saying I've said we're not looking at talented youngsters. As if we'd sign Sunday league players (although looking at Jordy Brouwer you do wonder).

But I think both Macia and Rafa place too much emphasis on this mentality thing.

The type of player we need to lift us from being grafters - and third/fourth - are often special human beings that require different approaches.

Good coaches know they need a few of these players and they find ways to, if not accommodate them, then get the best out of them. It seems Liverpool are shying away from certain players because we're afraid we can't handle them.

But a wise coach once said that the players that give you the most trouble off the pitch are very often the players that cause the opposition most trouble as well. This coach won the European Championship.

Rafa will have to take a chance at one point because we won't win the league on graft and dedication alone. The opposition teams are, tactically, much better than they ever were.

When was Ginola at his best? When he applied graft, someone said. It can be done in other words.

I also don't see much wrong with Quaresma's comments further up. I don't give a toss what he does in his spare time as long as he's not taking the piss. He says he doesn't go clubbing. Are players not allowed to enjoy their lifestyle?

What's so wrong with not viewing the profession exactly like Rafa Benitez?

Mate your a genius.

DT rules like a King on this thread. It's a about risk and to win the league we need to take more risks on the pitch and one or two risks in the players we buy. Our players need to come out of the rigid straight jackets.

I agree that we need to take more risks on the pitch, but not necessarily with transfers. Diouf and Cisse were risks and both of those were disastrous. I'd say we took a big risk with Babel to be honest. Torres was also a risk if a lesser one.

might as well add my 5 cents worth.

I think the 'right mentality' is incredibly important and if it isn't the number 1 item on the list it should be very near the top.

if you have the right menality

a) you will take on board what you are being taught

if a coach tells you to put more venom into your crosses you will do it, if they tell you cross in the danger area (corridor of uncertainty) you will do it. you wont think 'fuck that, I KNOW how to cross already'

b) you will take being sacrificed for the team

if you are superb at center back but so/so at right back but are asked to do a job there you will do it, if you are superb through the middle but are asked to job a job out wide you will do it.

if you have to be removed becuase someone on the bench MAY stand a better chance of changing the game you will do it

you will put the team before personal glory if there are others better placed than you will square it because you know the TEAM comes first not the golden boot.

c) you will dedicate yourself to self improvement

if your crossing is at 60% and you want to get it to 80% you will put in the time to make it happen, you will work on your weaker foot, or your weak headers or your body stregnth you wont say 'that'll do' you will work on it week in week out until it is as good as it can be. talent can only take you so far.

d) you wont ever EVER hide

you find out good players when the team is at their worst not at their best, when the passing is flowing and the score is 6-0 everyone wants a touch every one wants a piece but when we are drawing or worse losing game after game the true warriors come to the top, sometimes they make absolute IDIOTS of themselves, sometimes they fluff their lines in the final minute bringing the absolute derision of the crowd on their back, but they wont ever hide they put themselves right in there to maybe miss again but at least they have the courage to take a chance that may win their team glory even if it may end in more cat calls if they miss.

e) will give every ounce and never give up

sometimes its not the skill to win its the WILL to win to keep playing til the final minute knowing that you can rest all you like once the final whistle is blown. sometimes playing through the pain barrier, sometimes with the entire crowd on your back.

people can mock the phrase 'right mentality' all they like but for me football begins and ends with the right mentality, skill will take you so far, you think on the streets of brazil or spain there isn't a sea of washed up talent with god given skill but no will, no application to scrifice everything to reach the top safe in the knowledge a footballers shelf life is short and they can club all they like at the end of their career still being relatively young.

absolutely we should be looking for players with skill, with vision with class but it will count for absolutely NOTHING if these same players disappear up their own arse after the first crunching tackle, or if they get sent off repeatedly because they can't control their temper, or fail to cross correctly because they refuse to learn what the coaches teach them, or let a chance slip by because they are fucking greedy (personal glory over the team) or try one flash step over too many.

I knew exactly what our scout was saying with 'right mentality' and thank GOODNESS the scout knows what this club is about and the type of player this club should attack and employ

Equally, look at the successes of Gonzalez, Nunez, Pennant, Bellamy and Leto.

Our "big" money attacking signings have been a success apart from Morientes.

Gonzalez and Leto were/are just hopeful punts - with very little risk attached to them.

Nunez - he was a given to us because Owen decided(shafted us) to leave for Madrid, it was him or nothing.

Bellamy - was bought because he was playing superb for Blackburn and had a£6m release clause which met our budget (constraints).

Pennant - I fully agree with you on this one, but some on here rate him, so it's still not that clear cut especially when you consider our budget. I can see Rafa's reasoning behind signing him - it just hasn't paid off.

There are plenty of superb attacking players that we've scouted and wanted but for whatever reason we've missed out on them.(mainly cost)

Berbatov, Tevez, Aguero, Simao, Alvez, Keane, Aimar, Villa, Pato, Ashley Young.

Our biggest constraint is budget and that has hurt our attack, partly because we lost so much money on Cisse, Owen, Diouf and even Kewell (in respect of wages outgoing). Only this forthcoming season (just about) has Rafa been in a position to get one or two quality attacking players without the need to plug holes with squad players.