You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

EDUARDO MACIA: "It's all about the right mentality"

RSM

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back to the point...

Didn't Bascombe make some rather pointed insinuations in the Pink Echo last summer about Macia's preference for dodgy dealings with (Italian??) agents? What happened to those accusations? Do people think our scouting department is doing a good job - i'm still unsure, and it seems to me that we're still really missing out on young, lower league ENGLISH players - you need to pick up the likes of Keane and Barry when they are at Wolves and Villa, NOT when they are at the Spurs and Villas of the world, who can ask exorbitant fees...

ps - As for whoever our Scout is in South America, the one who picked Paletta above Garay when they played in the Under-21s.... rather like picking Phil Babb over Paul McGrath, I think!

Message to Mr Macia - room for improvement...

Getting back to the point...

Didn't Bascombe make some rather pointed insinuations in the Pink Echo last summer about Macia's preference for dodgy dealings with (Italian??) agents? What happened to those accusations? Do people think our scouting department is doing a good job - i'm still unsure, and it seems to me that we're still really missing out on young, lower league ENGLISH players - you need to pick up the likes of Keane and Barry when they are at Wolves and Villa, NOT when they are at the Spurs and Villas of the world, who can ask exorbitant fees...

ps - As for whoever our Scout is in South America, the one who picked Paletta above Garay when they played in the Under-21s.... rather like picking Phil Babb over Paul McGrath, I think!

Message to Mr Macia - room for improvement...

:D Sorry bud, that made me laugh. Be at Wolves and Villa not spurs and Villa, think you meant someone else other than I only ever been to one club Barry?

I would wager btw the reason we havent picked any young english talent up is that there isn't any genuine class. Not professional ones anyway that we require at the club. Instead most young English players will be pretty much mini Ashley Coles/John Terrys etc.

when it comes to attacking players I firmly believe our scouts have let us down, whether that's Macia or something long term i dont know, he's only been here since 2006 but the fact that we have to pay a club record fee for a decent striker is what does my head in and we're now looking at paying another hefty fee for Keane, hardly the result of scouting genius spunking this money around....

and then when you look at the wings, it is depressing, so yeah I do believe they have let us down when it comes to attacking players, whether that's the scouts or Rafa's preferences i dont know but for a club with 70 scouts around the world and one who invests a lot into the operation, it's puzzling

I hear he just takes photocopied ticklist for each player.

Rafa's Scouting Ticklist

Does he have possibilities, no? []

Will he annoy the foramongs? []

Can we sell him on for 2 profit 2 years later? []

Can he do a job []

Any 3 ticks out of 4, phone me (not RP).

Rafa x

I'm fresh out of reppage, someone do the honours for me.

when it comes to attacking players I firmly believe our scouts have let us down, whether that's Macia or something long term i dont know, he's only been here since 2006 but the fact that we have to pay a club record fee for a decent striker is what does my head in and we're now looking at paying another hefty fee for Keane, hardly the result of scouting genius spunking this money around....

and then when you look at the wings, it is depressing, so yeah I do believe they have let us down when it comes to attacking players, whether that's the scouts or Rafa's preferences i dont know but for a club with 70 scouts around the world and one who invests a lot into the operation, it's puzzling

Dunno about that bud, Torres is hardly a "decent" striker and we did pay much less for him than other clubs have for inferior players. First team may not be there yet, but we have some good talent who may come through, so in 4 years when they are in the the first team mopping up, it's all worked out. In the meantime we have to try and sign players who can compete this season with Chelsea and the mancs, as well as have the right attitude, they aint cheap and we dont have big money

"It's all about the right mentality"

Bullshit. That's exactly why the standard of English footballers, generally, is so poor. Too much emphasis on mentality, commitment, effort and too little on working on skill, technique and game intelligence.

English players, generally, can only play one way. At 200 mph.

That's why foreign players are so sought after because they have more than that. Anyone can learn to play at a high tempo and anyone can taught to be committed and give 100% effort.

But not everyone can do what the Torreses, Henrys and Ronaldos can.

Bullshit. That's exactly why the standard of English footballers, generally, is so poor. Too much emphasis on mentality, commitment, effort and too little on working on skill, technique and game intelligence.

That's why foreign players are so sought after because they have more than that. Anyone can learn to play at a high tempo and anyone can taught to be committed and give 100% effort.

Fantastic post that.

I hear he just takes photocopied ticklist for each player.

Rafa's Scouting Ticklist

Does he have possibilities, no? []

Will he annoy the foramongs? []

Can we sell him on for 2 profit 2 years later? []

Can he do a job []

Any 3 ticks out of 4, phone me (not RP).

Rafa x

That's on the money.

But why are we having to sign players only to sell them on at a profit? If they're not good enough why are we signing them in the first place?

*Stands and applauds*

Do people think our scouting department is doing a good job - i'm still unsure, and it seems to me that we're still really missing out on young, lower league ENGLISH players - you need to pick up the likes of Keane and Barry when they are at Wolves and Villa, NOT when they are at the Spurs and Villas of the world, who can ask exorbitant fees...

We've been in for a lot of these young talented English players, but we either won't bid the extortionate fee that their asking for, or someone like Tottenham, Villa, or Arsenal (especially them), offer them the kind of wages that you offer a squad player. Which is fine and dandy, but something it seems we're not interested in, which I'm okay with. We just try to sign them earlier. Adam Pepper and David Amoo being two examples.

To all the people who are slating Rash about what he said about our scouting: what, precisely, is wrong with his comments? He's not slagging anyone off. He's just saying that it's a little premature to be lauding this guy's work when he is still completely unproven in terms of signing attacking players. That is a fact; it may be inconvenient to the "everything is amazing (but we can't be expected to achieve anything)" agenda, but it's a fact nonetheless.

I agree that he comes across well and gives an insight into the job that many of us have not previously had. However, that bears no relation to the quality of his work. Hopefully, he's as good as he sounds, but he's far from proven at Liverpool.

That's not how I interpret what he said. I think what he's saying is that they look at loads of skilful players but they want to sign those who also have the determination to do something with their skills rather than ponce about the field like a bunch of spoilt show-ponies.

To all the people who are slating Rash about what he said about our scouting: what, precisely, is wrong with his comments? He's not slagging anyone off. He's just saying that it's a little premature to be lauding this guy's work when he is still completely unproven in terms of signing attacking players. That is a fact; it may be inconvenient to the "everything is amazing (but we can't be expected to achieve anything)" agenda, but it's a fact nonetheless.

I agree that he comes across well and gives an insight into the job that many of us have not previously had. However, that bears no relation to the quality of his work. Hopefully, he's as good as he sounds, but he's far from proven at Liverpool.

Correct, in four years of buying endless promising younsters(its about 40 by now) for small fees(under £2m) and not 1 of them has become a first team regular!! Scouting Torres Maschereno Babel was hardly the work of a genius!

He doesn't imply that technique is irrelevant. Rather, I took him to mean that you could be the most technically gifted person in the world but if you have the wrong mentality it means nothing. Nor does he imply that he focuses solely on effort and commitment. He implies throughout that mentality is the determinant factor, it should be too. That's not the same as saying if he has the right mentality but poor technique we'll sign them. I don't think he's saying that.

Correct, in four years of buying endless promising younsters(its about 40 by now) for small fees(under £2m) and not 1 of them has become a first team regular!! Scouting Torres Maschereno Babel was hardly the work of a genius!

He's been here 2 years. It's been 2 years since we've been using this policy.

That's not how I interpret what he said. I think what he's saying is that they look at loads of skilful players but they want to sign those who also have the determination to do something with their skills rather than ponce about the field like a bunch of spoilt show-ponies.

That's exactly how I see it.

Guest TK-421

I agree to a certain extent and I think generally that's the way it was in the past but in recent times English clubs have produced some excellent players with good technique. Look at West Ham who have brought through Carrick, Joe Cole and Rio Ferdinand, all players with good technique. Carrick especially could not be accused of playing the game at 200mph, he is a very considered and patient player in possession.

I don't think Macia is saying they look at mentality to the exclusion of everything else, rather that the overriding trait in all the players he recommends is a strong mentality but I'd take a guess that this will not be the first thing that a scout notices when a prospective signing comes to their attention.

Have just seen Dirk's and aws's posts which I would go along with.

He doesn't imply that technique is irrelevant. Rather, I took him to mean that you could be the most technically gifted person in the world but if you have the wrong mentality it means nothing. Nor does he imply that he focuses solely on effort and commitment. He implies throughout that mentality is the determinant factor, it should be too. That's not the same as saying if he has the right mentality but poor technique we'll sign them. I don't think he's saying that.

What he said. That's how I read it.

Rafas been here 4!

You were wrong, though, yeah? Macia has been here two years and we implemented the policy of bringing in youngsters en masse in 2006. We might have had one or two before that point but it was two years ago that the policy was implemented to the point where it resembled what it is now.

I still disagree with this. You can make a player hungry or instill ethics into him, but you can't make him technically good.

English football will never get out of the situation it furrently finds itself in if the whole attitude towards the game in England does not change.

You go to U10 and U11 games and you have parents screaming at the kids to work hard. Kids at all levels are taught this and that it doesn't really matter if you've got limited ability as long as you work hard for the team. So it's not exactly surprising that you find 13 a dozen of this kind of player in Britain.

Personally, I believe that this is because of the English lifestyle and attitude towards life and work in general. It's about hard work.

You look at the national teams of countries like Croatia and the number of homegrown players in the best leagues of Italy and Spain and you look at what these countries do differently. Smaller countries are taking their top coaches to Britain to watch and learn from Premiership clubs. But really, it should be the other way round.