You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

EDUARDO MACIA: "It's all about the right mentality"

RSM

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still disagree with this. You can make a player hungry or instill ethics into him, but you can't make him technically good.

I don't think you can do much to change a player's mentality by that age, it's very hard. It's also risking money, regardless of the size of the fee. I also agree that you can't make them technically good, you can improve the technique of a player but you can't turn Bret Angell into Diego Maradona.

That's not how I interpret what he said. I think what he's saying is that they look at loads of skilful players but they want to sign those who also have the determination to do something with their skills rather than ponce about the field like a bunch of spoilt show-ponies.

Yeah that is what he was saying. They are obviously not going to sign youngsters only on mentality. They have to be players with potential to be top players too. I liked the interview. Always good to hear from the other coaches and scouts.

It's all about the results - I want to see Eduardo unearth some attacking talent of real quality.

What about Nemeth, Pacheco and Simon?

He can talk all he likes but im not conviced the chap is doing his job that well.

I'm sure that will keem him awake at night

Getting back to the point...

ps - As for whoever our Scout is in South America, the one who picked Paletta above Garay when they played in the Under-21s.... rather like picking Phil Babb over Paul McGrath, I think!

Paletta had an Italian passport and could player here, Garay didn't and so we couldn't sign him. Anyway, we got a profit for Paletta.

I still disagree with this. You can make a player hungry or instill ethics into him, but you can't make him technically good.

English football will never get out of the situation it furrently finds itself in if the whole attitude towards the game in England does not change.

You go to U10 and U11 games and you have parents screaming at the kids to work hard. Kids at all levels are taught this and that it doesn't really matter if you've got limited ability as long as you work hard for the team. So it's not exactly surprising that you find 13 a dozen of this kind of player in Britain.

Personally, I believe that this is because of the English lifestyle and attitude towards life and work in general. It's about hard work.

You look at the national teams of countries like Croatia and the number of homegrown players in the best leagues of Italy and Spain and you look at what these countries do differently. Smaller countries are taking their top coaches to Britain to watch and learn from Premiership clubs. But really, it should be the other way round.

I think there's a balance to be found. The reason English football is so much better than the other leagues a the moment is the combination of physical strength, will to win and technique. The reason the English national team is so shit is they get jingoistic and forget the last of those three when they get together and play. English football is ridiculously traditionalist, it always has been, every generation a new tactical innovation is made and every single time the cognoscenti write it off as rubbish only to be proven wrong in time.

Just look at the way these idiots react to Rafa, they don't understand anything he does and are distrustful of change.

Look at the way they hated Eriksson because "he wasn't passionate enough" but ignored the fact that his team played muck football.

Jonathan Wilson's book "Inverting The Pyramid" is a must read for anyone interested in tactics and how the game has developed. I'm halfway through it and it's probably the best book on football I've read.

"It's all about the right mentality"

Bullshit. That's exactly why the standard of English footballers, generally, is so poor. Too much emphasis on mentality, commitment, effort and too little on working on skill, technique and game intelligence.

English players, generally, can only play one way. At 200 mph.

That's why foreign players are so sought after because they have more than that. Anyone can learn to play at a high tempo and anyone can taught to be committed and give 100% effort.

But not everyone can do what the Torreses, Henrys and Ronaldos can.

I think these guys have the right mentality, its why they got to the very top of the game, there are lots of supremely talented players out there who never reach this level simply because they lacked the "right mentality"

I dont think he means mentality over talent, he is talking about combining the two- you can sign a talented player who will do well when he feels like it or you can sign a talented player with the right mentality and he will do his best to improve and be the best that he can possibly be.

That said having all the right mentality in the world wont matter if you are shit, you'll just become a little less shit.

Bullshit. That's exactly why the standard of English footballers, generally, is so poor. Too much emphasis on mentality, commitment, effort and too little on working on skill, technique and game intelligence.

That's why foreign players are so sought after because they have more than that. Anyone can learn to play at a high tempo and anyone can taught to be committed and give 100% effort.

This is the best post on here for about a few years DT.

There is an obsession on here with "hard work", die for the shirt, "mobility" and other such physical attributes - it is symptomatic of how we the English view the game.

If there was a choice between say Dirk Kuyt and say Joe Cole or a Quaresma who do you think everyone on here would choose? I am not having a go at Dirk but that type of player can only get you so far.

Mentality is important but not as important as talent, technique and intelligence as that is more difficult to teach.

I'd rather have someone who would die for the shirt than someone who was just here to pick up a wage, end of.

Why must someone who is skillful and say ducks out of a challenge be only here to pick up their wages? Cristiano Ronaldo regularly bottles challenges and doesn't really "die for the shirt" but without him where would United be?

I think some people are taking mental strength/good mentality to mean hard working but lacking talent. I don't think it does, nor should it.

Exactly. He said Lucas has the right mentality in the big games because he wants the ball and is not afraid to try things with it.

Anyway this part made me laugh .... "then finalising the move with Rick Parry is a very long process."

I think a good example of what Macia means is Quaresma. According to an interview Quaresma recently gave, we spoke to him last summer, we asked him to be more aggressive and direct and he wouldn't.

Why would you change a player of that talent? Ferguson allowed Ronaldo to flourish, to continue doing the tricks and slowly but surely improved him. Why go for a player and then ask him to change?

I think Quaresma should have agreed and given it a shot as it would be a great chance for him but it's not a great idea is it? If they want a strong wide man who will be aggressive then buy James Milner.

This thread has become a row over talent over attitude or attitude over talent, because of what the guy said, show some fucking sense he is a scout for footballers obviously wanting talented players is a fucking gimme here, ffs. People seem to think he wants to sign shite players over talented ones because of their attitude gimme a fuckin break.

The arguement put forward as to why this is wrong slates the inadequacies of the ENGLISH players and coaching, hey guess what he is fucking Spainish.

There is nothing wrong with asking a talented player to change aswell, its all about getting the most from that talent to make the team as a whole better, no-one is trying to surgically remove talent, we just need to see it used in the right way, for results not so people can cum over stepovers and back heels, its to win football matches and trophies.

I think some people are taking mental strength/good mentality to mean hard working but lacking talent. I don't think it does, nor should it.

Precisely. When saying he wants players with the right attitude and mentality, it isnt saying they are putting that above skillful talented players. Isnt it obvious that they want talented players, but talented players who also have the right mentality. Cant believe anyone can read that differently.

I think you're confusing what is meant about "mentality" DT.

"give me the ball, even if I make a mistake I'm not afraid to take responsibility in big games. That's the mentality we require; strong players who can think for themselves and don't need to be told what to do. They are clever guys who can make their own decisions on the pitch and help you win games. Mentality of the player is the most important thing"

It's not about commitment and giving 100% effort. It's about having the skills, game mentality, and attitude to get results in matches.

So it does mean taking players who have the technique and skill to change games, but also the drive and intelligence to want to do it.

Rather than players with natural ability who don’t work on their game, or have the confidence to show their skill in matches.

This is the best post on here for about a few years DT.

There is an obsession on here with "hard work", die for the shirt, "mobility" and other such physical attributes - it is symptomatic of how we the English view the game.

If there was a choice between say Dirk Kuyt and say Joe Cole or a Quaresma who do you think everyone on here would choose? I am not having a go at Dirk but that type of player can only get you so far.

Mentality is important but not as important as talent, technique and intelligence as that is more difficult to teach.

Way to fulfill your purpose and misinterpret the post to suit your myopic agenda there Rash! As I said to DT it's about finding players that walk the line between industry and flair. Kuyt may be closer to the industry line than the flair line but any manager worth his salt would rather have Kuyt in his side than Quaresma. You can rely on Kuyt, you know what you're going to get, he may not hit the heights of creativity that Quaresma will, but he won't plumb the depths that Quaresma habitates in for most games.

Also comparing Joe Cole to Quaresma is laughable, Cole works his bollocks off now.

Why would you change a player of that talent? Ferguson allowed Ronaldo to flourish, to continue doing the tricks and slowly but surely improved him. Why go for a player and then ask him to change?

I think Quaresma should have agreed and given it a shot as it would be a great chance for him but it's not a great idea is it? If they want a strong wide man who will be aggressive then buy James Milner.

The reason Ronaldo has been so effective is he learnt to fit into United's system ie: work when you're not on the ball. Quaresma will never be a great player because he can't sacrifice his ego for the greater good. It's the same reason that David Ginola is better known for not taking two bottles into the shower than for being a good footballer.

Precisely. When saying he wants players with the right attitude and mentality, it isnt saying they are putting that above skillful talented players. Isnt it obvious that they want talented players, but talented players who also have the right mentality. Cant believe anyone can read that differently.

Spot on. Talent is nothing without application.

Spot on. Talent is nothing without application.
Is absolutely right.

As AWS and Dirk have said, EM is saying that you have to have talent and technique to even be looked at seriously as a possible signing - if you're in the mix, they then try to make sure you've got the mental strength to keep working and improving.

A couple of people have said that it's easier to coach mental strength than technique. I have to say I disagree 100%. The Quaresma interview posted a few days ago actually gave an good insight into this -

Quaresma: He did talk to me, we spoke about many things but his business is his business and we view our profession in a slightly different light.

Alberto de Silva: Ronaldo is seen as the more enthusiastic, your more into designer gear and partying aren't you?

Quaresma: Not atall, I don’t understand why you and half the world seem to see me in this light, I very rarely go out 'clubbing' or 'partying' I just like to have a good time as I have worked hard my whole life to afford this lifestyle.

Maldini hit the nail on the head when he said

The reason Ronaldo has been so effective is he learnt to fit into United's system ie: work when you're not on the ball. Quaresma will never be a great player because he can't sacrifice his ego for the greater good.
It's true in football, it's true in any walk of life - as Thomas Edison said, genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration. To take another example, I teach piano to a few kids, there's 2 brothers aged 12 and 9 who are about equally talented, but the 9 year old is going to overtake the 12 year old within a few months even though he's been playing for about 2 years less, because he wants to get better and he actually does some fucking practice in between his lessons.

Actually David Ginola is absolutely world class and has battered us more times than once.

He was never world class for the reasons I mentioned, he could never fit into a team structure. The whole team had to be set up to accommodate him. He had world class talent but he was not a world class player.