You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dirk Kuyt's influence inside the club.

Fugitive

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He could go an entire season without scoring, but as long as he works hard its ok for some people.

I had written Kuyt off as not good enough but i was wrong. He suffered a prolonged sever dip in form no question, but he kept on battling and fighting and never ever made excuses. Towards the latter half of last season i though some of his performances were superb. He has the best attitude of anybody at the club for me and he definitely does have ability. He's more than earned his place imo.

I had written Kuyt off as not good enough but i was wrong. He suffered a prolonged sever dip in form no question, but he kept on battling and fighting and never ever made excuses. Towards the latter half of last season i though some of his performances were superb. He has the best attitude of anybody at the club for me and he definitely does have ability. He's more than earned his place imo.

We still need better than him no matter how you look it. FACT is that kuyt was pushed wide because he wasn't performing up front as a main striker. That alone says a hell of a lot. He's a decent SQUAD player to have but we need more than what he can offer. But its not gonna happen this season so it's irrelevant.

We still need better than him no matter how you look it. FACT is that kuyt was pushed wide because he wasn't performing up front as a main striker. That alone says a hell of a lot. He's a decent SQUAD player to have but we need more than what he can offer. But its not gonna happen this season so it's irrelevant.

It's not FACT, it's your opinion. 'Pushed' wide? It's where he started his career and where he plays Internationally.

What bit of 'Loved Father dying of cancer before his eyes' do you not understand? I wouldnt perform at all well if that happened to me. I doubt I'd even give 100% every week even if it wasnt working either. Dirk did and that's why he's my favourite player.

Dont really get what your saying, both Robben and Kuyt play in the attacking third so their defensive contribution isn't that critical.

You really don't get it do you? Selecting a side isn't about picking players because of their attacking contribution. It's about selecting the side with the overall correct balance to enable you to dominate and win the match. As for the above statement I think that is about as far removed from the thinking of today's football manager that you can get.

It's not FACT, it's your opinion. 'Pushed' wide? It's where he started his career and where he plays Internationally.

What bit of 'Loved Father dying of cancer before his eyes' do you not understand? I wouldnt perform at all well if that happened to me. I doubt I'd even give 100% every week even if it wasnt working either. Dirk did and that's why he's my favourite player.

So the fact he played up front in his first season. Then started off like that last season...wasn't performing and then got shoved wide wasn't based on the fact that he was playing poorly? Wasn't based on him missing loads of chances? C'mon in the most purist of kuyt followers can see that.

Whether he started his career there or not, rafa bought him as a striker and that is FACT. He failed to deliver so he got pushed out wide. Same thing happened to heskey and the same with cisse. Only difference is that kuyt works harder than them both and offers more to the team. I'm not doubting his contribution, i'm just saying that we still need better.

He played up front the previous season and did well. This year he started as a front 2 with Torres but due to the fact he was struggling with Berievement and the fact we changed systems to 1 up front he started to play as part of a front 3. He was hardly going to play as the front man when we'd just bought Torres was he?

Rafa bought him for his possibilities - that my friend is a FACT. By the way, he owns that position and the opposition hate it. Ask any left back who he'd hate to line up against, I bet they'd say Ronaldo and Kuyt for 2 different reasons.

So the fact he played up front in his first season. Then started off like that last season...wasn't performing and then got shoved wide wasn't based on the fact that he was playing poorly? Wasn't based on him missing loads of chances? C'mon in the most purist of kuyt followers can see that.

Whether he started his career there or not, rafa bought him as a striker and that is FACT. He failed to deliver so he got pushed out wide. Same thing happened to heskey and the same with cisse. Only difference is that kuyt works harder than them both and offers more to the team. I'm not doubting his contribution, i'm just saying that we still need better.

To be honest, I really believe that Rafa switched to the front three for three big reasons.

1) He wanted all his best players on the pitch at one time, which means playing three CMs, so he pushed Gerrard ahead of Mascherano and Alonso, as an AMC/playmaker. This allowed him to get all the quality in the squad on the pitch at one time.

2) Ryan Babel wasn't offering wide service as a left winger. In fact, it appears that he was so terrified of beating a man to his left that he simply would not do it. Despite the fact that his pace saw him absolutely incinerate everyone whom he beat to the outside.

3) What we were doing(the 4-4-2) just simply would not work. We were hemmoraging points and Rafa needed to do something and rescue that season ASAP. Which he did when he pulled this rabbit out of the hat.

You fail to recognise that Kuyt was getting chances and oppurtunity but his head was not in the right place which made it so he couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel.

Kuyt really believes in himself; every week before a game he was in the papers saying this would be the game he would start banging them in again.

You can't help but like the guy for the amount of effort he puts in. I don't think he will get as many games as people are expecting next season if we buy are current targets.

Kuyt is worth supporting. He's something that is worth me investing my emotion in.

How many things in the game can you say that about now? Fewer and fewer by the season.

Well said. Obviously I don't know them personally but the way Kuyt (and i'd include Alonso as well) conduct themselves both on and off the pitch is a million miles away from the cynicism, greed and disdain that is on display from the majority of top level footballers around the world. We should be proud of him.

Whether he started his career there or not, rafa bought him as a striker and that is FACT. He failed to deliver so he got pushed out wide.

Kuyt did not fail to deliver as a striker. He was excellent in his first season playing up front, scorign a respectable 14 goals including some real belters. For whatever reason, probably the death of his dad, he started badly last season. He got pushed out to the right because of the new system, nothing else. And did a great job there again. He attacked, he posed a threat. He tracked back and won tackles in the RB position and always worked his nuts off for the team. He was a very valuable member of the team last year.

I bet Kuyt wouldn't be in the top 10.

I bet you he would be... Have you ever tried to mark someone who never stops moving? Even though Kuyt doesn't have big time pace, and you think you have him marked, when you start to get tired you start to lose him more and more which gives him more space and makes your other tired defenders cover him a bit more than they should.

Add that to the fact that Kuyt will always harrass you when you get the ball, is very good in the air, and will make you expell your energy reserves to make sure he doesn't catch that 'hopeless' ball.

You are talking one very trying physical experience and I doubt most footballers simply could not keep up with Kuyt's engine.

I bet you he would be... Have you ever tried to mark someone who never stops moving? Even though Kuyt doesn't have big time pace, and you think you have him marked, when you start to get tired you start to lose him more and more which gives him more space and makes your other tired defenders cover him a bit more than they should.

Add that to the fact that Kuyt will always harrass you when you get the ball, is very good in the air, and will make you expell your energy reserves to make sure he doesn't catch that 'hopeless' ball.

You are talking one very trying physical experience and I doubt most footballers simply could not keep up with Kuyt's engine.

Agree with all that. Kuyt is one of those players who some people will never accept, and will always focus on the negatives instead of the many positives he brings to the team.