You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've been a proper man today. Firstly I fronted my line manager for having an unjustified go at me yesterday, and told her she owed me an apology. She was extremely apologetic. Then I fronted the spotty admin kid who always talks to me (and everyone else) like shit, and pointed out that I have a son only a couple of years younger then her and if he spoke to me with such a lack of respect I'd headbutt him. She's been sickly sweet the rest of the day and even made me a coffee (which I didn't drink in case she'd spat in it). Then this afternoon I fronted the consultant project manager I'm working under and told him he's taking the piss out of me, and has given me unrealistic targets. My dept manager agreed with me and said he knows I work my arse off, and whatever I achieve he's more than happy with because it'd still be far better than anyone else and told me to ignore the consultant's targets.

Then I went back to my desk and scratched my balls for a bit. RARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!

I've been a proper man today. Firstly I fronted my line manager for having an unjustified go at me yesterday, and told her she owed me an apology. She was extremely apologetic. Then I fronted the spotty admin kid who always talks to me (and everyone else) like shit, and pointed out that I have a son only a couple of years younger then her and if he spoke to me with such a lack of respect I'd headbutt him. She's been sickly sweet the rest of the day and even made me a coffee (which I didn't drink in case she'd spat in it). Then this afternoon I fronted the consultant project manager I'm working under and told him he's taking the piss out of me, and has given me unrealistic targets. My dept manager agreed with me and said he knows I work my arse off, and whatever I achieve he's more than happy with because it'd still be far better than anyone else and told me to ignore the consultant's targets.

Testify brother. I can smell the testosterone from here.

I fought my way onto a crowded commuter train and grabbed a seat. Fuck altruism.

And I did exactly the same thing.

Two big lads, 19 or 20, hoodies and gold teeth, the usual routine. On the seat between them, the only empty seat in the carriage (in which about ten people are standing already) is a carrier bag with a trainers box in it.

I said "'scuse mate, do you mind moving that so I can sit down?"

He said "nah man, it's got ma babies in, innit"

I stood there staring at him.

He moved his bag.

I take three truths from this encounter.

1. Even scallies have the brains to realise that a 37 year old, 6' 1", 14 stone taxman, especially one who's just finished a nine hour day at the office, will just sit on his fucking trainers if he doesn't move them. Right fucking now.

2. One of these days I really will get stabbed because with every passing day, I grow less inclined to supplicate myself before moronic youth.

3. I am man. Grrrrrrrr.

You da man, Liz. You da man.