You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 hours ago, .̯. said:

This twat of a bathroom had three layers of tiles and when I got to the corner half the floor is fucked with rotten wood. It's currently covered by a piece of ply with damp stains all around. Saving the surprise til tomorrow. 

Who the fuck thinks it is acceptable to tile over tiles? 

10 hours ago, TheBitch said:

Who the fuck thinks it is acceptable to tile over tiles? 

My father-in-law can't understand why I've gone to the effort of taking up a tiled floor back to the subfloor when we could have just put a new floor on top. Err, because that's ridiculous?

4 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

My father-in-law can't understand why I've gone to the effort of taking up a tiled floor back to the subfloor when we could have just put a new floor on top. Err, because that's ridiculous?

Apparently it's done (on floors - not fucking walls) because the base is level. So you *can* tile over them and most tilers apparently would but for bathrooms it's often worth the extra hard work to see if there's any further damage underneath. 

I put Mr C on a plane this morning and then was out for the rest of the morning. 

I got back and went to do some washing up. No hot water. I ran the tap for a while longer and the water’s just getting colder and colder. It’s Friday afternoon, who am I going to get out to fix a boiler? Mmm, maybe I should check that first. I went through, saw that the needle on the  presssure gauge had dropped to zero, who knows why, opened the valve and after a few seconds of nothing saw the needle judder into life and I’ve reset the thing and the hot water’s restored. Oh, how happy am I

• Upvote 3

My front driver side tyre got a flat last week so have been driving on my spare. Got a part worn from my neighbour who is a mechanic and had it in my boot. Got to uni early today and decided to change it. Incidentally I give two of my cohorts who are incidentally attractive young women (no pics lads, it's 2019) a lift. They both drive but we car share and neither knew how to change a tyre. 10 minutes tops it took me and there was much biting of lips and flushed upper chests from my audience*

It was a far cry from having to call my brother and then green flag because I couldn't get the flattie off as it was stuck (they had to use a rubber mallet to get it off in the end) which wasn't my finest hour. 

*This is a big lie 

My mrs does all our DIY, cleans the gutters, digs holes, changes roof tiles etc. I see her, dependent upon my mood, as being expendable/invaluable .

Yesterday, rather selfishly, she wouldnt drop everything she was doing so I fixed the fuel line on the lawn mower. Her little face was a picture as she, wrapped up in 4 layers, cut the grass in the darkening light. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Spent the day cutting up wood, then splitting it with an axe for an old fella with a wood burner who needs it.

I'd love to have a proper fire again, but in lieu of that, I'll settle for cutting the wood. Putting split wood into a nice neat log pile is as satisfying as ever.

They say wood fires heat you twice - once when you chop it an once when you burn it. Not very environmentally friendly though, I get though a huge pile every winter

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Good work. I particularly like having a shower next to the toilet; if you run out of loo roll you can always create a makeshift bidet / powerwasher to remove any stubborn pudding residue.

In Thailand they have a bum gun fitted to most toilets, it's a high pressure water gun fitted to a hose and is absolutely perfect when you get the runs which is quite a common occurrence in that part of the world. I ended up using it for most plops, those guys know how to crimp in luxury. Well at least polish their rusty sheriff's badge. 

Back to your point, I like to put the shower on power jet mode and blast the potential skids away. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Remmie said:

In Thailand they have a bum gun fitted to most toilets, it's a high pressure water gun fitted to a hose and is absolutely perfect when you get the runs which is quite a common occurrence in that part of the world. I ended up using it for most plops, those guys know how to crimp in luxury. Well at least polish their rusty sheriff's badge. 

Back to your point, I like to put the shower on power jet mode and blast the potential skids away. 

Most of SE Asia and the Middle East have them. They're really cheap and easily fitted, they just use a three way fitting on the cistern supply. Ebay is your friend.

Once you use them, you'll never go back to paper. And if you can train your missus to use it you will save a fortune on bog rolls.

They're not that high pressure - you don't give yourself an enema when you use them.