You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How do you guard against the bears when you are asleep? I've seen electronic fences and fences made out of old cans being used too.

Yeah, those are mostly in Alaska and parts of Canada where people are staying a long time and also it's the salmon run and there are bears everywhere.

We wouldn't ever spend more than one night in a single place and the bear population is very low. We don't do anything special to prevent bear attacks but the odds of one happening are very, very long. Bears are pretty scared of people and unless you get between a mother and her cubs or startle one at close range you're very unlikely to even see one, much less be attacked.

This is the one really dangerous part of the trip, the Yenisei rapids. They don't look like much from here, but believe me, this is completely impassable. You have to get out and portage around. Me and a buddy tried to run it back in 2011 and I almost got killed here. Flipped the boat and I went face-first into a rock. I was concussed and couldn't remember my name or what I was doing there for at least 10 minutes.

9k6qeo.jpg

detectorists2.jpg?w=1200

• Upvote 2

This is the one really dangerous part of the trip, the Yenisei rapids. They don't look like much from here, but believe me, this is completely impassable. You have to get out and portage around. Me and a buddy tried to run it back in 2011 and I almost got killed here. Flipped the boat and I went face-first into a rock. I was concussed and couldn't remember my name or what I was doing there for at least 10 minutes.

9k6qeo.jpg

detectorists2.jpg?w=1200

How did you get hold of Remmie's photograph album?

• Upvote 1

Can you whittle a mug?

Every serious woodsman has one of these on the go somewhere in his workshop. Usually half-finished, with a few bloodstains on it where he cut himself with the crook knife, but "it's going to be beautiful with this burl grain pattern once he gets it polished up."

6104web.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was on a train back from Leicester on Thursday and at the table on my right were 3 lads going to a spoon making weekend camp. They all got their various spoons out and were comparing techniques and talking about what the weekend entailed. They were genuinely excited. I love shit like that as I’m fucking hopeless. I wondered if any of you lot were going. One of them was about 5 foot tall and wearing dungerees and crocs. Think it was Mook.

''spoon making weekend camp''

Seriously?

Fucking Seriously?

What happened to getting pissed and trying to shag as many birds as possible?

Failing that cars and stuff.

Spoons? Fuck off.

You can fuck off with you poncey sausages and bacon.