You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I'm patiently awaiting pictures of the GF's first whittling related injury...

I have far, faaar too many injuries from whittling/knife-related madness. 

I didn't realise you were getting into bushcraft, PD! Good for you! It's a great hobby IMO. I thought I was the only one on the forum with any of these pursuits; the "camping" thread is full of people discussing which campgrounds have the best electric hookups and showers. Meanwhile for me, the main advantage of going camping is to get far away from people and the last thing I want to think about is where to get electricity!

20160524_165320_zps2hcgj5sh.jpg

This is me a couple of years back when I was trying to get into flintknapping. It turns out glass works just like obsidian or flint and you can knap a good blade from it. Way sharper than most knives, though, as I learned very quickly. You can tell by how much blood is on my hand and on the knapping stone!

Got this next one while out showing my two young sons how to use a knife. Suffice it to say they got to see not only what to do but also what NOT to do!

IMG_20141108_170454294_zps5l0ol6pz.jpg

These little guys are pretty good in the outdoors now, though, and the youngest loves coming with me on my adventures. Just a few more years before they can come along on my yearly weeklong float down the Yenisei River though uninhabited parts of Siberia.

IMG_20141104_152202007_HDR_zps549e0741.j

• Upvote 6

I have far, faaar too many injuries from whittling/knife-related madness. 

I didn't realise you were getting into bushcraft, PD! Good for you! It's a great hobby IMO. I thought I was the only one on the forum with any of these pursuits; the "camping" thread is full of people discussing which campgrounds have the best electric hookups and showers. Meanwhile for me, the main advantage of going camping is to get far away from people and the last thing I want to think about is where to get electricity!

20160524_165320_zps2hcgj5sh.jpg

This is me a couple of years back when I was trying to get into flintknapping. It turns out glass works just like obsidian or flint and you can knap a good blade from it. Way sharper than most knives, though, as I learned very quickly. You can tell by how much blood is on my hand and on the knapping stone!

Got this next one while out showing my two young sons how to use a knife. Suffice it to say they got to see not only what to do but also what NOT to do!

IMG_20141108_170454294_zps5l0ol6pz.jpg

These little guys are pretty good in the outdoors now, though, and the youngest loves coming with me on my adventures. Just a few more years before they can come along on my yearly weeklong float down the Yenisei River though uninhabited parts of Siberia.

IMG_20141104_152202007_HDR_zps549e0741.j

That last pic looks like a scene from South Park.

Awesome Ne Moe Imya.  I'd just like to be able to do something with my hands which isn't keyboard related.  Haven't done much lately but have a few good scavenged sticks to continue my spoon making.  I'd eventually like to be able to make them, and Kuksa's to a point I can gift them to others as well. 

Post some of your whittled things for inspiration 

• Upvote 1

Awesome Ne Moe Imya.  I'd just like to be able to do something with my hands which isn't keyboard related.  Haven't done much lately but have a few good scavenged sticks to continue my spoon making.  I'd eventually like to be able to make them, and Kuksa's to a point I can gift them to others as well. 

Post some of your whittled things for inspiration 

Looking through my pics and I can't seem to find any.

I'm not much of a whittler to be honest. Usually just whittle a simple stirring spoon/spatula when I get to camp to use with my camp pan and that's about it. Although I have had some friends who were really into it. Have you tried using a coal to burn a spoon? Seems to help a lot with getting the bowl into it if you don't have a crook knife.

I actually bought a gouge to use making a kuksa (also on my list of projects) but it got dull quickly and sharpening the thing is like my idea of hell. If I had a belt grinder I'd just remove enough of the steel to give it a flat grind because trying to go round the bend with a consistent angle is virtually impossible!

My outdoors time is more about just being there. If I have a knife in my hand it's probably just making a couple of feathersticks to get a fire started and that's about it. But for some reason I became a bit of a knife nut through all of this and now I have made four of my own knives just for fun (and to give away as gifts - I am a bit of a mingebag after all).

• Upvote 1

Looking through my pics and I can't seem to find any.

I'm not much of a whittler to be honest. Usually just whittle a simple stirring spoon/spatula when I get to camp to use with my camp pan and that's about it. Although I have had some friends who were really into it. Have you tried using a coal to burn a spoon? Seems to help a lot with getting the bowl into it if you don't have a crook knife.

I actually bought a gouge to use making a kuksa (also on my list of projects) but it got dull quickly and sharpening the thing is like my idea of hell. If I had a belt grinder I'd just remove enough of the steel to give it a flat grind because trying to go round the bend with a consistent angle is virtually impossible!

My outdoors time is more about just being there. If I have a knife in my hand it's probably just making a couple of feathersticks to get a fire started and that's about it. But for some reason I became a bit of a knife nut through all of this and now I have made four of my own knives just for fun (and to give away as gifts - I am a bit of a mingebag after all).

That last picture with your boys is one of the coolest pictures I've ever seen on here

• Upvote 1

Whittling spoons has got to one of the biggest waste of times I’m ever heard in my life.

1. You have to buy a knife to do it. Just buy a load of spoons instead.

2. In the event of global catastrophe we will probably have no food.

3. If you do find a stash of food i’d Sooner have a tin opener and use my fingers.

4. Learn to whittle a tin opener.

Whittling spoons has got to one of the biggest waste of times I’m ever heard in my life.

1. You have to buy a knife to do it. Just buy a load of spoons instead.

2. In the event of global catastrophe we will probably have no food.

3. If you do find a stash of food i’d Sooner have a tin opener and use my fingers.

4. Learn to whittle a tin opener.

Why go on your fishing holiday when you can just buy fish?

• Upvote 3

'My yearly weeklong float down the Yenisei River though uninhabited parts of Siberia.'

I might leave my IKEA cabinet construction story for another day.  

Wise move.  Unless you built it whilst free falling from a plane over the Himalayas.

If it's any consolation, I'm sitting in my garden while proper men get on with fitting a wooden floor inside.  Though, in what can only be described as a fuckwitted oversight, it means that all the wooden furniture in the house will have to be painted in order to go with the floor.  

Wise move. Unless you built it whilst free falling from a plane over the Himalayas.

If it's any consolation, I'm sitting in my garden while proper men get on with fitting a wooden floor inside. Though, in what can only be described as a fuckwitted oversight, it means that all the wooden furniture in the house will have to be painted in order to go with the floor.

I thought you were getting divorced?

Therefore, any talk of 'matching' your garden furniture and decking immediately qualifies you as an honorary entrant to The World of a Woman thread...

I thought you were getting divorced?

Therefore, any talk of 'matching' your garden furniture and decking immediately qualifies you as an honorary entrant to The World of a Woman thread...

Garden furniture and decking?  Inside not outside mate.  And yes, I am.