You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Pistonbroke

Just been shopping at the supermarket with the missus. Got to the checkout and the missus started packing the stuff out onto the belt. I said, "I'd help you but I just can't be fucking arsed." My missus has a wicked sense of humour and gets mine. Unlike these two ugly bitches stood behind us, even the missus told them to stfu (and she is as mild tempered as they come). She got all man defensive. So a shout out to my missus, she is Woman, hear her roar. 

It’s been almost four years since I redecorated my living room, kitchen and hall/stairs/landing and it’s in need of freshening up. I’ve decided that I’ll get the living room and kitchen sorted first next week before the Christmas decorations come out. Nothing major, just a fresh bit of painting and glossing, which is just as well because I’m shite at all other types of DIY and decorating.

And it’s here that I need some advice. The kitchen cupboards are getting on my nerves. They look dated and seeing as we rent the house, paying for a new kitchen is not an idea we would ever entertain. Is there a kind of paint/varnish that would work well on cupboard doors such as these?

A03_A034_C-41_CD-4_D68-8_DBC-23_AB840_C6

Help.

Is it a veneer CT?

Get one of the small paint samples pots from the diy shops. (or you could use any old gloss you have left over from previous)

Sand the inside of one of the doors (least used one in case it does not work) using a 60 grit paper... paint the bit you have rubbed and leave it to dry. Once dry try rubbing it with a damp cloth...if it comes off then it's fucked and i am all out of ideas.

If it does work then obviously do the rest. You can also change the handles which will make a difference as well.

• Upvote 1

Is it a veneer CT?

Get one of the small paint samples pots from the diy shops. (or you could use any old gloss you have left over from previous)

Sand the inside of one of the doors (least used one in case it does not work) using a 60 grit paper... paint the bit you have rubbed and leave it to dry. Once dry try rubbing it with a damp cloth...if it comes off then it's fucked and i am all out of ideas.

If it does work then obviously do the rest. You can also change the handles which will make a difference as well.

There’s a tiny hidden strip on the underside of each door that looks like MDF so I’m pretty sure it is a veneer. Will sanding it down take the veneer off completely? I’m wary of fucking them up beyond repair but I’ll give your suggestion a go. Cheers.

There’s a tiny hidden strip on the underside of each door that looks like MDF so I’m pretty sure it is a veneer. Will sanding it down take the veneer off completely? I’m wary of fucking them up beyond repair but I’ll give your suggestion a go. Cheers.

Depending on the veneer the sanding may allow the paint to adhere to it. You just want to sand it off enough to roughen the surface. Do it on the inside of the door that way if it does not work it will not be visible.

I got a bunch in f apple crates delivered on Monday and after putting my girl to bed proceeded to turn them into a bookshelf, akin to this...

Fruit-Crate-Shelves.jpg

Took about an hour to drill and screw or together, then another hour to find the boxes of books and load it up.

Roar.

• Upvote 7

I got a bunch in f apple crates delivered on Monday and after putting my girl to bed proceeded to turn them into a bookshelf, akin to this...

Fruit-Crate-Shelves.jpg

Took about an hour to drill and screw or together, then another hour to find the boxes of books and load it up.

Roar.

Boss that Bob.  Did you stain the crates or did they come like that?  Have to put a pic of the books loaded in as well

Fruit-Crate-Shelves.jpg

Roar.

Is that attached to the wall so it doesnt fall and kill any unsuspecting toddlers or youngsters?

Is that attached to the wall so it doesnt fall and kill any unsuspecting toddlers or youngsters?

My version currently stands behind a 2 seater sofa until I sort out what furniture I actually want and need.

If it ends up not having such protection I'll tether it to the wall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Just fitted a new shower pole/holder thingy. When the missus comes back from work I'll tell her I was at it for ages due to drilling new holes to fit the pole etc, stand me in good stead for jiggy jiggy later. 

In all honesty it only took me half an hour to whip the old one off and put the new one in its place. I contacted various sellers on Amazon and asked what distance apart the pole holders were for drilling purposes and ordered the one that was exactly the same as the old one.

Time for a coffee and a tab now. 

Roar....